PDA

View Full Version : Unusual wooden 8x10 film holders

SocalAstro
18-Jul-2011, 13:52
I have in my collection of old stuff 4 8x10 film holders. They accept regular old 8x10 film as I have loaded each one with sacrificial film to make sure.

They are slightly thicker and wider (8" side) than standard Fiedelity holders I have thus they won't fit a Toyo 8x10 back that i have.

They are of no use to me but I was just curious as they might be used on?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Leon

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Jul-2011, 14:11
Possibly Sterling holders for for Folmer and Schwing cameras?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=75881

If they are Sterling holders I may be interested in purchasing or trading for them.

SocalAstro
18-Jul-2011, 14:28
Possibly Sterling holders for for Folmer and Schwing cameras?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=75881

If they are Sterling holders I may be interested in purchasing or trading for them.

Not sure if they are, but IIRC one or two had Kodak stamped on them. I'll check tonight and take some photos as well.

-Leon

SocalAstro
18-Jul-2011, 17:05
Jason,

Here are some photos of the holders. Two of them are Kodak and have a hinged end flap. The other two are Folmer I believe and have a fixed end flap.

I overlaid a fidelity holder and lined up the upper right corner; the lower left corner shows the difference in size.

SocalAstro
18-Jul-2011, 17:06
Edge marking on the Folmer holders

rknewcomb
18-Jul-2011, 18:22
I think the Sterling holders usually say "Sterling " on them. Those could be Rochester size holders on the outside yet they would still accept standard 8x10 film on the inside. FWIW
Robert

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Jul-2011, 18:33
I think Robert is right, those are Rochester/Premo sized holders.

SocalAstro
18-Jul-2011, 18:41
I think the Sterling holders usually say "Sterling " on them. Those could be Rochester size holders on the outside yet they would still accept standard 8x10 film on the inside. FWIW
Robert

This appears to be the case; thanks for the clarification Robert.

-Leon

Louis Pacilla
18-Jul-2011, 19:12
One way to tell if they are meant to fit a ROC/Premo family camera is the rib will be at the very top of the light trap. In fact that's why for a period of time, the ROC wood field cameras had a little brass fitting that would kind of clip over the top of the holder when inserted.This was meant to keep the holder from coming out of the spring back when you removed the dark slide.

The design was certainly not one of the best. It does make inserting the holder a bit easier.

I had these on snap shots on file so I 'll post them. Maybe they'll help you identify your holders.

SocalAstro
19-Jul-2011, 09:31
Thanks for the info Louis; this seems to make more sense. I will double check the rib location on my holders.

Cheers,
Leon