PDA

View Full Version : Print Size Confusion.

Tony Evans
18-Jul-2011, 08:56
I print my scanned negs on an Epson R2400. Commercially available standard Mat sizes are 8x10 & 11x14, but Fine Art digital papers are 8.5x11 and 13x19, the largest I can print.
Does this mean resorting to custom matting to use the full paper size, or to cropping the scanned image to a standard mat opening and trimming the paper?
What do you do & recommend? Thank you.

photobymike
18-Jul-2011, 10:21
LOL what ever you want to do. I am not aware of any standards or norm in print making or mounting. Do what you like. Personally i use standard mat sizes and leave a white border visible thru the mat. They did this in the old days of photography because the matt had the purpose of: 1 holding the print away from the glass, 2 absorbing the ambient moisture, making the print seem larger than it really was, and keeping the oils from the wooden frame of the print. So mats were used to protect your photos. Now it seems that mats are chosen to accent the color of the wall space its being hung on. Personally i like neutral whites, black, and occasionally grey for a B&W photo. I leave a border around the print to give some space for signature, date, and sometimes a written description of the photo

http://www.mikepic.com

Try going to http://www.lenswork.com

They have some very good resources on print presentation. Maybe they can give you some ideas on how to find way.... grasshopper

Lenny Eiger
18-Jul-2011, 11:01
Print the size you want, cut the paper to whatever size you want....

Lenny

Peter De Smidt
18-Jul-2011, 19:59
Do you really want to use the full sheet for the image? Having a border can give the image some protection, as well as providing a place for a title and signature. Personally, I like to have at least 1" borders. In any case, if you're doing this for yourself, do what you like. Check out places like Frame Destinations for some options. If you're selling (or giving away) non-framed pieces, the recipient might not be too happy if he or she is surprised to have to spend a lot to get the image framed,

Bob McCarthy
18-Jul-2011, 20:26
Print 8x10 images on 11x14 paper, and print 11x14 on 13x19 paper, is a common solution to using precut mats.

Bob

Scotty230358
18-Jul-2011, 23:06
You could always buy yourself a Logan Mat Cutter and cut your own mats.

photobymike
19-Jul-2011, 14:45
You could always buy yourself a Logan Mat Cutter and cut your own mats.

i went that route .. its cheaper to order custom cut and exactly the color and thickness you want. i just sold my cutter to some one on the other coast. they seem really happy with it. it takes time and talent to cut your own mats, of which i have neither. wife, kids, and taking pictures and occasionally some sleep that about all time i have.

IanG
19-Jul-2011, 15:03
i went that route .. its cheaper to order custom cut and exactly the color and thickness you want. i just sold my cutter to some one on the other coast. they seem really happy with it. it takes time and talent to cut your own mats, of which i have neither. wife, kids, and taking pictures and occasionally some sleep that about all time i have.

It's far cheaper to cut your own and very quick.

You've obviously not been buying from the right places. I get my mount board at trade prices, same as the local framers, so how can they possibly be cheaper ?

Ian

photobymike
20-Jul-2011, 09:36
It's far cheaper to cut your own and very quick.

You've obviously not been buying from the right places. I get my mount board at trade prices, same as the local framers, so how can they possibly be cheaper ?

Ian

LOL i messed up the mats i cut so had to start over with new board. I have no talent or patients when it comes to making mats. I also cant be trusted with something sharp... there is always blood involved....i guess its just me .... but it does take practice to be good at it. I had a really good Fletcher mat cutter also. just sold it here on LF.

http://www.mikepic.com