PDA

View Full Version : Super Speed Graphic or wood field camera ?

Leo Salazar
18-Jul-2011, 05:40
Useless... too many threads already that deal with this same quesation !
Many thanks !

Ari
18-Jul-2011, 05:52
Leo,
I don't know Graphics at all (having never used one), but if you're sure it has sufficient movements for your needs, I would always opt for metal over wood.
I know might get some flak for this on this forum, but in terms of rigidity, robustness and build precision, metal wins out, and it's not sensitive to changes in temperature or humidity.
The Graphics are very tough cameras, from what I've heard and read, but their main drawback is lack of movements. So if you're ok with that, go for it.
On the other hand, if you feel like exploring other options, while you're at it, a Wista, Technika III, or Toyo field/technical camera will serve you very well (and if you're lucky, will be roughly in your price range) and some models will have more movements than others. But I don't want to open a can of worms, which camera to buy, etc etc
Go for the metal is what I say.

Leo Salazar
18-Jul-2011, 05:57
Leo,
I don't know Graphics at all (having never used one), but if you're sure it has sufficient movements for your needs, I would always opt for metal over wood.
I know might get some flack for this on this forum, but in terms of rigidity, robustness and build precision, metal wins out, and it's not sensitive to changes in temperature or humidity.
The Graphics are very tough cameras, from what I've heard and read, but their main drawback is lack of movements. So if you're ok with that, go for it.
On the other hand, if you feel like exploring other options, while you're at it, a Wista, Technika III, or Toyo field/technical camera will serve you very well (and if you're lucky, will be roughly in your price range) and some models will have more movements than others. But I don't want to open a can of worms, which camera to buy, etc etc
Go for the metal is what I say.
Many thanks Ari !
I agree with you and your recommendations, better to rethink before leaking one grant !
I took off the post since there are so many threads already discussing this.
I am sorry and thanks!
Leo

BetterSense
18-Jul-2011, 06:34
Don't the Super Graphics have very good movements? I've never used one, but other than the small lensboard, the super graphics look to me like pretty much the ultimate rugged field camera.

sully75
18-Jul-2011, 07:27
http://cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm

http://cameraquest.com/supercov.htm

Some info about supers.

Ivan J. Eberle
18-Jul-2011, 07:46
I had a Super Graphic for a time. What I liked about it most was the Graflok back for 6x9 roll film holders. Too, the electrical cable release feature seemed intriguing for using a remote.

What I didn't care for so much was that rangefinder cams are not easily sourced for anything but the most common lenses of the era i.e. 135mm Graphex Optar/Wollensak Raptar (same cam doesn't work with a 135mm Caltar IIN/Rodenstock Sironar N), and that the release catch for tilt was fiddly to use. Too, without having a better plan for what to do with the Fresnel while the roll film holder was installed, I found myself estimating the composition this wasn't precise enough for 6x9.

While it's certainly a sturdy box, there are other metal field cameras that you might consider as well. Any camera with a Kalart Synchronized RF (there are many) may should prove adjustable for use with modern lenses, though only one lens at a time with GG focusing for others.

I already owned a couple of Meridians and kept these as they have back moves (which the Super lacks).

cyrus
18-Jul-2011, 07:46
As I understand the question is whether to purchase a wood field camera or a press camera. These are two different beasts so the first question is, what sort of photography are you planning and how often do you need rear movements?

Field cameras generally have more movements but press cameras can be operated hand-held, without a tripod (I have Super Speed Graphics and Bush 4x5 which I love using - they have coupled rangefinders so you can see and focus on what you're shooting and there is no "blackout" when you insert the film -- great for candids.)

Press cameras generally don't have rear movements and many don't have rotating backs either. (The Linhof Master Technica has rear movements but is not a press camera, it is a "technical camera.")

Metal is definitely harder and stronger than wood of course but many people love the look of wood.

cyrus
18-Jul-2011, 07:48
Don't the Super Graphics have very good movements? I've never used one, but other than the small lensboard, the super graphics look to me like pretty much the ultimate rugged field camera.

They are rugged - used in combat! But no rear movements, if that's something you ever use.

Sirius Glass
18-Jul-2011, 12:44
The question for the OP really is: Do you want a 4x5 camera that you can use hand hold and have movements?
If the answer is yes, then the Super Speed Graphic may just be your answer.
If your answer is "I do not want to use a camera hand held.", then the answer is no.

Brian C. Miller
18-Jul-2011, 13:30
Back movements may not be as much of a requirement as you might think. I have a Toyo 45AX and a Super Graphic. It really depends on how much you want to fiddle with the camera while you are setting up the shot. When I am using my Graphlex, I set up the rear first, and then fiddle with the front. Both serve quite well in the field, and when I am bicycling around town with a camera, it's the Graphlex that goes into the bag.

If you aren't going to be abusing the camera, then a wood camera is just fine, and you might save a pound or two in weight. The Toyo and Graphlex both weigh about six pounds, while I have seen wood 4x5 cameras that weigh three pounds.

Using a 4x5 camera hand-held just means that you need a convenient strap on the side. My Toyo has a strap on the side, but I've never considered using it hand-held. When I've used my Graphlex hand-held, I've used the GG and pop-up hood for exact focusing, and then locked the bed and inserted the holder, and finally used the sports finder for framing. It's fiddly, but it works.

Bob Salomon
18-Jul-2011, 13:52
The question for the OP really is: Do you want a 4x5 camera that you can use hand hold and have movements?
If the answer is yes, then the Super Speed Graphic may just be your answer.
If your answer is "I do not want to use a camera hand held.", then the answer is no.

Back movements let you correct the subject's shape, or change it as well as do Scheimpflug. Front movements let you do Scheimpflug but not control the subject's shape.

Do you need back movements? Do you want to be able to easily control the subject shape while positioning the camera at whatever position gives you the desired perspective?

Your answers will tell you if you need back movements. When doing any movements you will need a tripod.

Frank Petronio
18-Jul-2011, 14:49
Wood cameras are for people who like to play with pretty cameras.

Metal cameras are for people who rather make pictures and not dick around.

jp
18-Jul-2011, 14:59
plenty of online details describing the technical/feature differences.

If time is important, the Speed will get you setup/taken down quicker. There is basically no setup. Put on tripod (optionally based on your judgement), open up, focus, shoot, close up. I know photography is leisurely for many here, but there are there are more opportunities if you can setup/take down more quickly. Weather/people/traffic/schedules all affect that.

Ivan J. Eberle
18-Jul-2011, 16:14
I'm sold on metal fields and technicals as being the most rugged and versatile type for the kind of outdoor images I do. They all pretty snap open to be picture-ready in under a minute. It's just that never quite warmed up to the Super Graphic. There were several factors, another one being it didn't handle wide-angles nearly as well as the Meridians do (for that matter, not as well as a Graflex Crown Graphic, either).

Robert Hughes
26-Jul-2011, 12:20
I use a Busch Pressman D as a larger version of an MF folder. I'm more of a street photog in my shooting style; most the shots I take have no need for the fine adjustments those wooden cameras excel at.