PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Nevada National Parks observations

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2011, 09:32
This is debatable, but I thought it might make a good thread---
I've lived my entire life within 50 miles of main gates to Yosemite, Kings Canyon & Seqouia National Parks and have more than a passing familiarity with the area (not as much as some here, but probably more than others) and for visiting photographers, I'd like to suggest that the Sierras are pretty grand (duh!) but the elevations along the length of the entire range are very uniform in possibilities. If I were to be blindfolded and then turned free somewhere in the Sierras out of sight of any iconic vistas (such as Half Dome or Mt. Whitney or Lake Tahoe) I doubt if I could honestly distinguish between say, Desolation Wilderness near Tahoe, the Olmstead/Tioga area in Yosemite, or parts of Seqouia and likely points farther south.
If you're after "classic sierra granite" most all the passes across the sierras will provide you with opportunities.
The National Parks are treasures and should be enjoyed, but there is much to shoot and enjoy outside the parks as well and I'd encourage exploration beyond the iconic vistas you'll find in Yosemite Valley or the east side canyons.
I've got a short trip planned and I've targeted a mish-mash of areas---some highly touristy and some quite obscure, but I'm confident that all can provide memorable landscapes if I do my part;)
The big issue for travelling photographers is time and how to spend it. I could easily spend two solid weeks in Yosemite Valley (not during the peak season:eek: )and not run out of interesting subjects to shoot---but few of us can afford the time anymore(when I was a kid growing up, a full two weeks of every summer was spent at Camp 16 and I cherish those memories :D One of my biggest regrets is not being able to provide that experience for my own children:( )
For those unable to backpack and are limited to two days and don't have a clue about where they'd like to shoot with the allotted time, I'd like to suggest a quick itinerary: Pick any two passes across the central Sierras joining 49 to the west and 395 on the east, preferrably not interstate 80 (but even 80 has grand vistas):
50, 88, 4, 108, 120, and make a loupe (a fairly easy drive in one day if you're not in a motorhome or towing a trailer) then back again on the second day. This should provide you with both morning and evening light in both directions with plenty of time for side trips to wherever your muses hint for you to visit.
Just a thought.

Preston
17-Jul-2011, 10:50
John, I certainly agree with you. It's very possible to make a nice two day loop on any of these byways.

Here's my take on 108-120:

From Sonora, plan to hit the 8,000 level (Chipmunk Flat) on the west side of Sonora Pass (108) just before dawn and work the area up to and just beyond the pass before the light gets too harsh.

Next, head on down to 395 and go south. Stop in Bridgeport for breakfast, but be sure to take a peek at the Sawtooth Ridge. If the light is good, drive up toward Twin Lakes and look around.

After that interlude, head on south to the Mono Basin. In the summer, I usually camp in Lee Vining canyon, or if it's full, in Lundy Canyon. The options for a late day/sunset shoot are many and varied. Have an early dinner at the Whoa Nellie, of course.

For sunrise the second day, one could opt to photograph at Mono Lake, the East Side Canyons, or head on up to Tioga Pass to catch the early light on the peaks. If the weather is indicating thunderstorms or even a nice duild-up, stay in the Tuolumne Meadows area for a spell or head down to Tenaya Lake and Olmstead Point.

Next, head on down 120 toward The Valley. If there's time, and the light is good, a side trip to Yosemite Valley would be nice. If not, head west on 120 and back to Sonora.

It's a nice two-day with more than enough to keep one busy, and leisurely enough to get a good feel for the land.

--P

Heroique
17-Jul-2011, 12:16
...The National Parks are treasures and should be enjoyed, but there is much to shoot and enjoy outside the parks as well and I’d encourage exploration beyond the iconic vistas...

No sensible tip wins more distrust than this one.

One must keep faith in unique landscapes you don’t know you’ll find...

Keeps working for me! :)

Vaughn
17-Jul-2011, 19:22
I am not so concerned about any particular landscape as I am about the light falling on the landscape and being there.

But being on granite at 10,000'+ is pretty neat.

Vaughn