PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Linhof Technika V lensboard question.

TJV
16-Jul-2011, 22:57
Hello all,
After many years in the photographic business I've finally bought my first 4x5" camera – a used Linhof Technika V. I have two lenses to use with this setup; a Linhof branded 150mm f5.6 and a 90mm F/8 Super-Augulon MC, both with Compur 0 shutters. Now, as I bought the camera and 150mm lens as a kit, the 150mm came on a genuine Linhof flat lens board. I bought the 90mm separately and it does not have a lens board. After a lot of time searching the net, there is a lot of conflicting information regarding wether or not I will need to buy a recessed lens board and wether or not these lens boards are Compur 0 or Copal 0 specific. Can someone please tell me what type of lens board I will need to use my 90mm SA?
Thanks for your help,
Newbe,
Tim.

mpirie
17-Jul-2011, 00:59
Hi Tim,

Although there are many people on this forum that may give more information, I can tell you I use my 90mm Nikkor (Copal) on a flat Linhof-type lens panel (made by Wista) on my MT without problem.

The advantage a recessed panel will give you is the ability to apply more movements with less compressed bellows. The disadvantage is that the shutter controls will be more difficult to get to.

Mike

TJV
17-Jul-2011, 01:11
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. I was guessing this would be the case but wanted to check before i ordered anything. In terms on movements with the flat type board, how much rise can you apply when using the 90mm? Put it another the other way around, in percentage points, how much extra rise would I gain by buying a standard recessed lens board?
Thanks again,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Although there are many people on this forum that may give more information, I can tell you I use my 90mm Nikkor (Copal) on a flat Linhof-type lens panel (made by Wista) on my MT without problem.

The advantage a recessed panel will give you is the ability to apply more movements with less compressed bellows. The disadvantage is that the shutter controls will be more difficult to get to.

Mike

TJV
17-Jul-2011, 01:13
And another question, sorry...

Is your lens mounted centered on the lens board or off center?

T

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. I was guessing this would be the case but wanted to check before i ordered anything. In terms on movements with the flat type board, how much rise can you apply when using the 90mm? Put it another the other way around, in percentage points, how much extra rise would I gain by buying a standard recessed lens board?
Thanks again,
Tim

Bob Salomon
17-Jul-2011, 08:30
The factory recommended boards for both of these lenses is the 001015 Comfort recessed board. putting the 150 on it allows the lens to stay on the camera when it is closed. Putting the 90 on it assures maximum movements and ensures that the front standard is properly fully seated on the front track and not partially between the front tracks and the body trackes.

All Linhof lenses are mounted where the hole is cut (low on the board) except for some lenses in a 3 shutter which must be mounted higher on special boards with a z after the number. This allows the board to mount and close on the front standard with these lenses. The low position on a Linhof board is positioned there so when the front standard is all the way down (its normal position) the optical center of the lens is centered on the ground glass.

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2011, 08:33
I used a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon lens on a flat board, probably a Linhof-brand off-center board, without any problems on my Technika V. I can't tell you how much rise I could use because I no longer own the camera but I don't recall running into any limitations because of the flat board.

Frank Petronio
17-Jul-2011, 09:52
Bob Salomon's advice is always right on but... in terms of saving money, you can try it on a less expensive flat board until you get the ideal board. Compur and Copal 0 holes are the same. And when you do get the proper recessed board, a Gepe flexible cable release adapter is the best way to get your cable release attached (unless you set up the fancy Linhof quick cable release gizmo).

TJV
17-Jul-2011, 14:21
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
The biggest problem for me if trying to ascertain wether the recessed boards that most people sell will even fit my Compur 0 shutter. I keep reading about Compur 0's not fitting in certain boards properly, they are a bit loose on the board? I have found plenty of aftermarket options on the bay etc but I'm weary to buy one in case it doesn't fit properly. I've found a genuine Linhof one which I know will work but it's considerably more than other options, although the fact that I know it WILL work more than makes up for the cost. Perhaps it's the old adage: "Buy once and be happy"?

Frank Petronio
17-Jul-2011, 14:27
Yes the Linhof-made boards do fit better than the off-brands. The Chinese knock-offs will work but not as nicely. When I have had Linhofs I always held out for the originals after trying a few off-brands.

If you check the SK Grimes website you'll see the diameters of the shutters and mounting flanges are identical, perhaps the anti-rotational screw in some older shutters is causing the discrepancy? In which case, unscrew the screw and throw it away.

Bob Salomon
17-Jul-2011, 14:41
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
The biggest problem for me if trying to ascertain wether the recessed boards that most people sell will even fit my Compur 0 shutter. I keep reading about Compur 0's not fitting in certain boards properly, they are a bit loose on the board? I have found plenty of aftermarket options on the bay etc but I'm weary to buy one in case it doesn't fit properly. I've found a genuine Linhof one which I know will work but it's considerably more than other options, although the fact that I know it WILL work more than makes up for the cost. Perhaps it's the old adage: "Buy once and be happy"?

Linhof recessed boards have the cable Release Quick Socket. In the past, when Prontor Werke still made the Compur shutter, Linhof had two different boards. The 001015 for Compur 0 shutters and the 001016 for the Copal 0 shutters. If you tried to mount a Compur 0 shutter into the recessed 001016 Copal lensboard the shutter would rub against the sides of the recess. The same thing would happen if you tried to mount the Copal shutter into the board made for Compur shutters.

So your lens and shutter will fit if you have the correct board. But the number is not on the board. It was on the plastic bag the board was in.
Today's current 001015 Linhof Comfort lens board can use either the Compur or the Copal shutter but you will never find a used one.

In addition to the Cable Release Quick Socket the lens board also came with the correct Right Angle Flash Nipple for the shutter. Copal and Compur require different ones. If you do not have the correct one on your shutter you will not be able to plug your flash cord into the shutter. These are available from Linhof service as is the Cable Release Nipple that adapts a Linhof cable release to properly mount into the Cable Release Quick Socket and lock in place.
You can contact Linhof service for these missing parts in the USA at 252 652-4401.
You will not know if the used board will let your shutter fit properly unless you know which board it really is. Otherwise you have to try to mount the shutter into the board.

A board should not cause the shutter to mount too loose. That is probably the result of the wronj jam nut or placing the jam nut on the shutter upside down or the hole is too small to allow the jam nut to properly be seated. Lastly this can be caused by leaving the positioning screw on the back of the shutter on a lens board without the clearence for the screw. Linhof boards are used without the screw.

TJV
17-Jul-2011, 23:17
Wow, thanks again for all the valuable informations. Seems like I should just skip the knock offs and go straight for the genuine product I have a lead on.
Thanks again,
Tim

jan staller
22-Jul-2011, 05:03
The recessed board is required if you prefer to keep the 150mm lens in place when you
fold up the camera. It will also allow the bellows to be further extended away from the camera housing, allowing a bit more front standard movements up or to the sides.

I have an extra genuine Linfhof recessed board for sale which will mount an older style 150mm or the wide angle lenses, all in Copal 0 shutters.

TJV
23-Jul-2011, 22:30
Cool, thanks. I've tracked down a genuine recessed board and it's on its way to me now.
So, what's the definitive word on having to drop the bed to use it?