PDA

View Full Version : Notch code I've never seen before

Jim C.
16-Jul-2011, 18:14
I've never seen this notch code before, none of my googling seems to
come up with anything remotely close. This is out a batch of film holders
I bought that had the Royal Pan in this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78158). The holders have the label area
filled in with red so I'm guessing it's color film ?
A non Kodak Infrared ?

I traced the notch code onto a piece of paper in a changing bag to better see
what it was, by feel it didn't make much sense to me since I was expecting it to be Royal Pan.

Any LF shooters from way back recognize this notch code ?

al olson
16-Jul-2011, 20:10
Jim,

I have searched through my Kodak Film Data Books, Kodak B&W and Color Data Guides and Fujifilm Professional Data Guide. The only notching that remotely resembles your illustration is for Ektachrome 64 Professional Daylight. This is from the Kodak Color Dataguide, copyright 1978.

The v-notch in the Dataguide, though is very sharp whereas on your drawing it appears to be more flared out. I don't have notch references for Ilford products except on the boxes for more modern emulsions. I may be muddying the water, but I hope this information is helpful.

Another possibility is Agfa, but I do not have any references to Agfa films. I say that because your v-notch differs from that of any of the films I have used.

Jim C.
16-Jul-2011, 21:07
Al,
Thanks for the quick response, it is perplexing, Ektachrome 64 seems to be the close
but not quite, as you said the V is radiused <sp? > where as the EPR is sharp.
I did find a link that does have some agfa notch codes but not match.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030208093848/http://www.srv.net/~vail/notch.htm

grahamcase
16-Jul-2011, 23:40
Jim,

If the film is a Kodak film, then the V would probably represent some sort of special order film, as per your link. However, I agree that it has more of a "radius" to the v - the sides are curved (Like the Victor Hasselblad V logo...).

Other than that, I have nothing to offer, sadly.

jnantz
16-Jul-2011, 23:59
hi jim

it looks like a combination between vericolor print
and the universal notch code for low volume / special order kodak film

maybe it is a low volume color print film ?

good luck with your mystery !

john

Peter Mounier
17-Jul-2011, 07:21
I found the code on page 59 of this pdf doc....
louisville.edu/library/ekstrom/special/AcetateNegativeSurvey.pdf

On page 69 (notch number 67) it describes it as Ektachrome, Daylight Type (1958).

Peter

Two23
17-Jul-2011, 07:35
Wow--1958! It's like historical!

Kent in SD

Jim C.
17-Jul-2011, 09:17
Pete, that's awesome that you found the exact notch code !
That PDF is an interesting read too.

Now to ponder if I should even waste E6 chemicals to develop 50 plus year old slide film !

kpdubbs
19-Jul-2011, 11:30
louisville.edu/library/ekstrom/special/AcetateNegativeSurvey.pdf

On page 69 (notch number 67) it describes it as Ektachrome, Daylight Type (1958).

Peter

Wow! Great detective work!

dsphotog
19-Jul-2011, 11:55
Pete, that's awesome that you found the exact notch code !
That PDF is an interesting read too.

Now to ponder if I should even waste E6 chemicals to develop 50 plus year old slide film !

IDK how well processing it in E6 would work...
That film predates E6, its perhaps E4 or even E2 process.

Leigh
19-Jul-2011, 15:25
Well done, Peter, and thanks for the great reference. :cool:

- Leigh

Mark Sampson
19-Jul-2011, 15:45
For the record, Ektachrome sheet film was process E-3 until late 1977, when the E-6 films and process took over. I don't know when E-3 was introduced, though, or anything about the earlier Ektachrome processes. I do know that E-3 in E-6 won't work, though...

Jim C.
19-Jul-2011, 22:24
Mark, good to know, I started looking into developing this old film and found
there were quite a few E- series developers at different times, I'll have to look
into when this ektachrome was discontinued. There have been some threads
on processing it as a negative using C-41 chems, again there's more research to be done.

Mark Sampson
20-Jul-2011, 06:53
Jim, when I was in college in the mid-70s, we developed Ektachrome-X in the E-4 process, which included a step where you re-exposed the film to white light. Kodak introduced the E-6 films and process in around 1976; they were entirely different and didn't require the re-exposure step. Sheet Ektachrome used another process, E-3, which I was unaware of until I went to work in a lab and found myself running that process... for three weeks before the lab switched to the new E-6. Kodak used a derivative of E-3 for many years after that for their aerial color films, but those processes (EA-5?) are long gone too. Given the perishable nature of those old films, though, I can't imagine that they aren't completely fogged- even if you could find an appropriate processing method.