PDA

View Full Version : Long Extensions

Dave Schneidr
4-Dec-2001, 10:55
I have a Sinar F front standard that after a little repair will work fine as an intermediate standard for long extensions. My plan was to use the regular bellow s and the bag bellows to get the extension I need (want ~1:1 with the 305 lens). It may be a silly question, but is there any rationale for which bellows should go on the front at between the middle standard and the lens and which should go on the rear. My first thought was bag at the front would give greater flexibili ty to tilt the lens. My next thought was that the bag at the rear near the film would reduce any flare caused by internal reflection. Then I thought, heck it ca n't matter.

Ellis Vener
4-Dec-2001, 12:35
Usually the bag bellows goes towards the rear of the set up. I guess to allow for freer rear movements or less strain on the rear standard

Ellis Vener
4-Dec-2001, 12:38
You might want to consider finding a second rail clamp and a plate to mount the two rail clamps to (the plate would attach to the tripod. This will give you a lot more stability and than a single rail clamp will.

Dave Schneidr
4-Dec-2001, 12:48
Ellis, Thanks for your response. I had considered the need for better support than a single rail clamp. Since I don't have a second Sinar rail clamp I'm going to use an old Toyo rail clamp which is larger in diameter. With some high density foam wrapped around the rail and the Toyo clamp sitting on a second tripod I think I'll get by for now. My thought was to position the clamps so that only minimal weight was on the Toyo clamp, just enough to help stabilize. It won't be pretty but I think it will do the job.

Bob Salomon
4-Dec-2001, 22:15
Isn't the front standard of an F the auxialliary standard for a P or P2. It used to be.