PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 5x7 Glass Plate Negative Holder(s)

HPDeary
15-Jul-2011, 14:07
Hello all,

I am new to Large Format and to this lovely community. Thank you to everyone for gathering together and sharing.

I've recently purchased my first HP 5x7 Deardorff, and it is in great condition.

All I need now is one or two glass plate negative 5x7 holders. I am only interested in shooting wet plate right now.

I know I can undergo a fun project and modify a film holder. But, the one article I found online (a scanned copy of an older print article) is not easy for me to follow. So, before I go into ultra concentration mode and get my self to modify a film holder I thought I would ask you all three things.

1. Does anyone have one or more 5x7 glass plate holders for sale?

2. Does anyone have a modified film holder for sale?

3. As my last resort I will need to modify a film holder. Does anyone have any simpler instructions with images or drawings?

Thanks for your time and attention. I'm looking forward to your responses.

BTW I'm 30. I read on another thread that there aren't many young people shooting LF these days. 30 is young and old, right?

-HPDeary

TheDeardorffGuy
15-Jul-2011, 14:20
When you get a chance, Measure the opening of your cameras back so we all know what holder to look for. Good luck!

lenser
15-Jul-2011, 15:50
Sending a PM.

In answer to your last question. 30 is now only a memory and a distant one at that.

goamules
15-Jul-2011, 17:59
Check Ebay for the old dryplate holders. Make a plexiglas carrier that sits where the glass used to sit, with your wetplate sitting in it. Works for me.

tim o'brien
15-Jul-2011, 18:17
Hello all,

All I need now is one or two glass plate negative 5x7 holders. I am only interested in shooting wet plate right now.

BTW I'm 30. I read on another thread that there aren't many young people shooting LF these days. 30 is young and old, right?

-HPDeary

1.) I'll look around. I have a diverse combination of holders, in all sizes. One or more might be 5x7 plate.
2.) 30 is obscenely young.

tim in san jose

Dcohio
15-Jul-2011, 20:48
I have 4 that I was considering deconstructing and joining and making some 5x12 holders but have been thinking it may be betterto save and buy some at a later date. When I got them I know I put paper in atleast 2 of them to check light tightness and it was fine but I don't believe I did all 4. You can PM me if interested. I will be away from home but I can check on my phone if I have reception in the campground.
Doug Clow

Dcohio
15-Jul-2011, 20:52
Btw, I'm not much older than you at 36.

HPDeary
16-Jul-2011, 05:38
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies! How great to be within the community.

I've measured the area where the plate holder would slide into: 8 1/2 x 6

Some mixed reactions about the age 30 I know I'm excited to be 30 and to get older. It was as if I walked out of a very thick fog and I don't mind walking forward because things are only becoming clearer with each step. (PS I can get deep sometimes) ;)

-HPDeary