PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the traffic jam capitol of the world

ryuichi cooper
15-Jul-2011, 12:52
Hi everyone. I'm new to LF, in fact I'm before new, haven't got my camera yet, just reading "The Camera" to get an idea of what I need.

I've been in the 35mm world for a couple of decades. Enjoy shooting sports, my kids, landscapes. I've always wanted to get into LF for a number of years, but with young kids, time needed to spend with the family, life in general got in the way. Now that most of my kids are grown and I finally have some time of my own, I'm ready to learn about LF. I'll be asking a lot of 'dumb' questions, but please be patient with me, I really do want to learn.

thx,

coop
:)

DJG
15-Jul-2011, 12:55
Welcome, and enjoy the journey!

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2011, 13:08
Welcome to the forum, from a neighbor on the north side of the great traffic jam.

dsim
15-Jul-2011, 13:15
Hi and welcome to the community.

Sirius Glass
15-Jul-2011, 13:31
Welcome to the Large Photography Format Forum.

Living in Los Angeles and DC Metro-Virginia, I can tell you that the traffic is much worse in the DC Metro-Virginia. Part of the problem is that they call northern Virginia "No Va" which in Spanish means "It does not move". If you tell a child that it is stupid enough times, the child will believe that it is stupid. So by calling the area "No Va", the area complies and the traffic does not move. If these people want to know the source of the problem, they only need to go into the bathroom and take a look in the mirror.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2011, 13:31
Try the L.I.E. every day.

Sirius Glass
15-Jul-2011, 13:37

That is not a highway or express way; it is a parking lot with meter maids! :eek:

MIke Sherck
15-Jul-2011, 13:44
With the expressway shut down, do you suppose it will end up crowded with photographers grabbing their once in a decade chance to photograph from the middle of the road? :)

Mike

ryuichi cooper
15-Jul-2011, 13:54
Funny you mention that, cause I was actually trying to figure out a way to get up there to photograph the happenings. I'm hearing of people living next to the 405 throwing parties. It's SoCal, anything for a party, but yea it would be great to photograph the event.

Sirius Glass
16-Jul-2011, 15:44
There is no traffic in West Los Angeles today day.

MIke Sherck
16-Jul-2011, 15:49
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

Mike

Renato Tonelli
16-Jul-2011, 15:53

AKA "The longest parking lot in the world"

Welcome to the forum.

Sirius Glass
16-Jul-2011, 15:58
There is no traffic in West Los Angeles around the 405 at all. The streets are near deserted! Santa Monica and Sepulveda is a ghost town!

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Jul-2011, 22:25
There is no traffic in West Los Angeles around the 405 at all. The streets are near deserted! Santa Monica and Sepulveda is a ghost town!

That is so hard to believe. I attended UCLA in 1961, 62, the traffic was abominable, the cars on what little 405 there was at the time were like flies on raw meat. Getting over the Sepulveda Pass was an adventure in itself. I hope someone posts pictures of the area, I would love to see it.

m

Sirius Glass
17-Jul-2011, 09:08
The construct work has already been completed and they will open the freeway soon.

BrianShaw
17-Jul-2011, 09:35
The construct work has already been completed and they will open the freeway soon.

A testament to good planning, aggressive PR, effective contingency planning, and superb engineering (or "de-engineering"). I'm pleased, but a bit shocked. There was so much that could have gone wrong. This must be CALTRANS' finest hour!

Sirius Glass
17-Jul-2011, 12:53
Los Angeles reacts well to crisis especially when given a heads up.