PDA

View Full Version : Okefenokee Swamp in GA

Corran
14-Jul-2011, 18:35
I was wondering if anyone in the GA/FL area has done any photography around this park. With it's huge size I am sure there are some interesting, less-traveled areas.

My girlfriend is from Waycross and I am currently based in Valdosta, so trips here can be frequent and long if I want, so I just thought I'd ask about it. I am finding little to no info from the park website(s) about photography-related items.

My main concern is access, I am not too keen on boat travel with 4x5 gear, or any gear really. I trashed a nice Nikon F5 that way some time ago...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Keith Pitman
14-Jul-2011, 18:48
I've been on a number of canoe trips there. I think hand cameras, maybe with a light tripod for the times you can get on dry land would be the way to go. I've only been to the Okee in the Spring; I imagine that Summer would be hot, oppressively humid, and really buggy. It's a facinating place.

Corran
14-Jul-2011, 18:53
I just realized I won't be doing anything for the foreseeable future since there is a massive wildfire right now...

Yes, "oppressive" is a good term for the heat in the summer. I've lived down here for 7 years and it really sucks!

I guess 4x5 isn't a great plan, oh well.

D. Bryant
14-Jul-2011, 19:05
I was wondering if anyone in the GA/FL area has done any photography around this park. With it's huge size I am sure there are some interesting, less-traveled areas.

My girlfriend is from Waycross and I am currently based in Valdosta, so trips here can be frequent and long if I want, so I just thought I'd ask about it. I am finding little to no info from the park website(s) about photography-related items.

My main concern is access, I am not too keen on boat travel with 4x5 gear, or any gear really. I trashed a nice Nikon F5 that way some time ago...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been there many times. Penetration into the swamp is usually done via john boat.

Photographing from a john boat is a very specialized technique especially out on the prairies when using aview camera. I recommend a motorized boat over canoeing considering the expanse and distances encounter unless you want a very slow paced excursion.

Visti the official Okefenokee website for details about the entrances to the park which has been photographed extensively over the years. It's an environment that requires you to become involved and knowledgeble to photograph effectivel abd to come away with more than snap shots. Be prepared to spend several years there to really make some meaning full work.

Since you are novice with the view camera I recommend going to locations in the park like Billies Island, the Cheeser Island Homestead and the Suwannee River Sill, to mention just a few. There are countless locations to photograph around the entire perimeter of the swamp. Folkston isn't a bad place to start.

In fact you are very lucky to live in the low country. There are thousands of places that are photogenic but you have to get out off the beaten path and seek them out. The Okefenokee area is just one of those destinations all within a short drive of Waycross and Valdosta.

I would recommend though that you DO NOT bush whack through the palmettos and pine forests ther since they are littered with rattlesnakes and I'm not BS'ing. Look out for ticks and you and your girlfriend should learn how to be tick buddies.

http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Great%20Photo%20Spots.html

http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Nature%20Photography.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=okefenokee&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS432US433&biw=1280&bih=754&prmd=ivnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=spwfToveBqXm0QGIsbWoAw&ved=0CGYQsAQ

Really it's all about learning the rithym of the swamp which is an organism itself.

Have fun and be smart when you are out there in the wild. It's easy to loose your life there. The single most dangerous thing when you are out in the swamp, especially in an aluminum john boat is lighting.

Don Bryant

atlcruiser
14-Jul-2011, 19:21
Don has some great advice on the swamp! It is beautiful down there with many great subjects. It might be worthwhile to check out some of Clyde Butchers work ina similiar environment

Jim Michael
14-Jul-2011, 19:27
Clyde or his assistants do some workshops IIRC, perhaps that would help with some of the logistics.

civich
14-Jul-2011, 19:39
Check out Roman Loranc's work on the Cosumnes river in California's central valley for inspiration on canoe based LF work:

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/spark/profile.jsp?essid=7081

It might be very suitable for your location though summer in the south probably isn't the best time to try it.
-Chris from Oklahoma where 102 deg is the new 98

Corran
14-Jul-2011, 19:40
Thanks a lot guys, great info. I will be researching for when the fires are out and the park is reopened.

Brian Ellis
15-Jul-2011, 05:01
There's a Photograph America booklet on the Okefenokee Swamp (or used to be, I haven't looked lately). If it's still available you can download it from their web site for about $10. I've found the author's information to be very useful as a starting point when photographing in a new area.

cdholden
15-Jul-2011, 05:11

Get a dry bag. They are designed to eliminate that exact problem. I've got an old Sea Line 15L bag that is great for small loads. They, as well as others, make larger packs too.

cdholden
15-Jul-2011, 05:14
Don has some great advice on the swamp! It is beautiful down there with many great subjects. It might be worthwhile to check out some of Clyde Butchers work ina similiar environment

John Brady (also a forum member here) works or worked with Clyde Butcher. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Doug Howk
15-Jul-2011, 16:14
I admire Clyde Butcher, but am unwilling to follow in his footsteps - too many close calls with snakes and gators. I prefer some of the periphery areas like Big Shoals & Chesser Homestead. Even closer to you is Banks Lake - a great location for Cypress.

Corran
15-Jul-2011, 16:30
I have photographed at Banks Lake extensively, but not yet on 4x5; I am waiting for some better weather. I went to Big Shoals last year and wasn't terribly impressed but maybe I went during a bad time of year.

photobymike
23-Jul-2011, 09:05
I live in the Tampa area of Florida. I have had better luck and better pictures staying away from the state parks. The small county parks are the place to go. The state seems to think that they have to protect your every move in there parks.... they are just a pain in the as...... And if you get into a argument with a state park ranger ( i have a few times) they will remind you that you need a permit to photograph on there land. The best place for alligators is Chesnut park in Pinellas county. And birds the best place is Fort Desoto in Pinellas county also. I like Myakka state park for the gators but only certain times of the year. It is just south of Sarasota. The closest state park to me is Honeymoon island ... just up the street from ... This park really really sucks... There conservation efforts are really amateur. To get to the dog beach you have to walk thru the bird nesting area. They put up chicken wire around the turtle eggs to mark them.... just gives the birds a place to perch while they have lunch on the turtle eggs. Then they fence in half the beach and mark it with signs that say bird nesting area... yea like the birds can read.... seriously.. its a joke... fortunately most of the residents know this and just ignore the states intrusion.

http://www.mikepic.com

John Brady
24-Jul-2011, 08:22
I think large format is the perfect tool for working in the swamps! Wet jungles and photo gear with electronics don't mix well. I do all my Everglades work with an 8x10. The key is protecting your gear while in transit. When working from my Gheenoe (think canoe on steroids) my gear lives in pelican cases. Be prepared to get out of the boat and stand in the water since you will need to work with a tripod.

When a boat isn't an option, I use really big zip locks for my camera, film holders and lenses and carry them in a back pack. I wear shorts and light weight low cut boots due to the hot conditions but I also where zip on snake proof leg covers called turtle skins. They are light weight, waterproof and work. I have pissed off more than a couple of water moccasins.

I have worked some of the wetlands in North Florida but haven't gotten to the Okefenokee yet, would love to there sometime.

Clyde takes a more relaxed approach. One day last summer we hiked out behind his place in the Big Cypress. He was wearing shorts and crocks. When we were coming back from being in the swamp most of the day we stopped on a trail and looked down
and about six inches from Clyde's foot was the head of a six foot diamond back rattler. I had already walked by it and never rattled or moved. Clyde gingerly stepped away and it never struck, we were both very lucky!

www.timeandlight.com

Nathan Potter
24-Jul-2011, 14:03
A couple of months ago I made a day trip to the eastern side of the Oke., first to the Visitor center then drove out to a boardwalk which runs a half mile of so out to a pond area. The boardwalk was productive from accessibility point of view although I was not inspired by the tangled swamp vegitation. There is a tower at the end of the boardwalk which yields an overall view of the swamp and that is impressive, albeit difficult to frame on GG. I was not able to find compelling images during my short visit but possibly longer visits could produce some interesting images.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

rdunbar
30-Jul-2011, 19:59
I went thru there late May this year, the water was low making for lots of visible gators. The fire kept us to the visitor center and the tour boat.
We had a wonderful tour with Chip (owner of www.okefenokeeadventures.com) at end of the day. His knowledge of Okefenokee and other swamps we have traveled to was great. We were only 3 people on a 24' skiff, stayed out till the yellowflies bite.

I just started exploring the idea of large format, so it was digital w/400, 80-200, 20-35.

keith english
5-Aug-2011, 07:13
I have explored the state parks with 4x5, and as Nathan said, didn't have a lot of luck. You are pretty much restricted to the boardwalks unless you use a boat. I'm also not into the Clyde idea of wading around in the swamp up to my chest. I've thought about hand held speed graphic from a canoe but the shutter speed limits for handlheld, you might as well shoot digital.

atlcruiser
17-Oct-2011, 15:16
I wanted the bring this thread back from the dead!

Looks like we will spend the xmas holiday in the Okefenokee.and I have permission form Lori to actually bring the 810 and use it :) Normally she is a bit against that due to the time/energy it sucks up!

I have been in touch with an outfitter there to take me out for a dayon a john boat to some areas where I might find dryish land or shallow water to set the tripod on. All of my stuff is in pelican cases already including the holders....

I am looking for advice/thoughts/warnings etc....about this plan.
I have been out in swamps shooting before but never with LF

thanks

D. Bryant
17-Oct-2011, 20:34
I am looking for advice/thoughts/warnings etc....about this plan.

Insure your equipment and your life before leaving ...

Don Bryant

atlcruiser
18-Oct-2011, 07:45

Don Bryant

Done :)

John Kasaian
18-Oct-2011, 08:18
If you hear banjos, paddle faster!

Bill_1856
21-Oct-2011, 17:37

Don Bryant

Is there a problem with equipment being taken from your car while you're on the boardwalk, etc?

D. Bryant
21-Oct-2011, 20:19
Is there a problem with equipment being taken from your car while you're on the boardwalk, etc?

That's always a possibility anywhere. Never leave your camera equipment in a vehicle, even for a few minutes.

I was really referring to the risk of working out of a boat. I've seen very large alligators almost jump into john boats and canoes. Of course that's because they became threatened by the boat. So there are all kinds of things that can dump a boat over unexpectedly and thus ones equipment.

When you are in the swamp always expect the unexpected no matter how serene and calm your surroundings may seem.

D. Bryant
21-Oct-2011, 20:20
If you hear banjos, paddle faster!

Why?

Doug Howk
22-Oct-2011, 02:34
The Waycross entrance to Okefenokee is the most tourist oriented probably because its run by a private company - imagine Disney in a swamp. The john boat tour guides try to get you too close to gators making the trip into a thrill ride.

The other park entrances are what you would expect from a National Wildlife Refuge including knowledgeable Park Rangers.

Banjos? Deliverance?

D. Bryant
22-Oct-2011, 06:00
The Waycross entrance to Okefenokee is the most tourist oriented probably because its run by a private company - imagine Disney in a swamp. The john boat tour guides try to get you too close to gators making the trip into a thrill ride.

The other park entrances are what you would expect from a National Wildlife Refuge including knowledgeable Park Rangers.

Banjos? Deliverance?

The Waycross entrance is a waste for photography, I've never entered the park at that entrance.

The SCRA entrance at Folkston is the eastern entrance to choose and is operated by the Feds. The West entrance in Fargo is operated by the state. Those are the two entrances to choose for the most natural experience of the swamp though there is still a lot of human activity at those locations during certain times of the year.

atlcruiser
24-Oct-2011, 18:10
I found a nice campground near the Folkstone entrance. I spoke with the owner about his photo tours of the swamp. He could not wrap his head around the idea of a tripod and a big camera. He asked if I could lay flat on the boat and he will try to keep it still :)