PDA

View Full Version : FP100B Uneven development (streak)

wallrat
14-Jul-2011, 09:06
I have a pack film holder for my 4x5. I just used it for the first time with a pack of Fuji FP100B. For the most part, I really like the results, however, I'm having a bit of an issue with the reactant not evenly spreading on the print. I pulled the rollers out and cleaned them. They roll smooth, but the bottom roller is more stiff than the top. I noticed that the only place that has these streaks is on the same plane as where I grab the film to pull it out. I'm wondering if I'm slightly bending the film as I pull it out causing the issue. Do I need to pull it out with 2 ands from both sides of the film? Anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,
-Bill

Ari
14-Jul-2011, 09:57
Bill,
Your film may be out of date, or has been improperly stored, causing the chemicals to harden slightly, or dry out; this would lead to uneven development.
If that's not the case, then make sure you pull only on the paper tab, keep the holder horizontal as you pull the leader out, and pull it in a smooth, relatively quick motion.
One roller is normally stiffer than the other, that's no concern.
You may have also received a slightly messed up pack, there's some slight variance once in a while.
Anyway, it's nothing serious, unless you plan on selling instant photos at $2500 a pop. :)
Good luck

wallrat
14-Jul-2011, 10:53
Thanks for the reply. I'll try pulling it quicker. The film seems to be fine and the reagent is plentiful (some leaks out every time it seems). I think I may be pulling it too slow.

Tim Povlick
14-Jul-2011, 11:57
I saw a similar problem when I was new to the pack system and loaded the film incorrectly. The white tab was threaded thru the roller, which is incorrect. That left a streak down the center the size of the tab.

When loaded properly I can give a one-handed pull on the film and not have any problems.

Revolucion Artistico
14-Jul-2011, 12:44
Also make sure you clean both rollers completely, if you leave any gunk on them they can leave streaks etc.

Ryan

wallrat
14-Jul-2011, 12:50
I saw a similar problem when I was new to the pack system and loaded the film incorrectly. The white tab was threaded thru the roller, which is incorrect. That left a streak down the center the size of the tab.

When loaded properly I can give a one-handed pull on the film and not have any problems.

So the white tab doesn't go through the roller? How does it load then? Sorry, I searched for better loading directions, but I couldn't find much.

wallrat
14-Jul-2011, 14:15
Ok, maybe I shouldn't tell anyone that I'm an engineer :) I finally found some video's on youtube and am going to try this out. I was threading the white tabs through the rollers and that's surely it. So, from what I saw, I assume when you pull the white tab it fires the film's tab straight into the rollers. Makes sense once you see it.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Brian C. Miller
15-Jul-2011, 07:54
The Polaroid pack threaded through the rollers, but the Fuji threads around the rollers, and then that pops a second tab through the rollers to pull the main pack through.

wallrat
15-Jul-2011, 08:43
Yes, once I made the change, it works perfectly. Development is nice and even and not nearly as much of the reagent spills out. I should have looked on youtube first, but hell, I grew up using polaroid so never assumed different.

Thanks all for the help,
-Bill