PDA

View Full Version : Proj-Tessar

Geoffrey_5995
14-Jul-2011, 08:11
Has anyone heard of a Proj-Tessar? Could find nothing in the Vade and very little on the web. I'm assuming it's a projection lens of some sort but I have one in a Compur Zeiss Ikon shutter that came off a folder. The cells could have been added later to this shutter but they look original.This lens is 13.5cm f4.5 Thanks for any help. Geoff

Dan Fromm
14-Jul-2011, 10:53
I once found one mounted in a tube that fitted a projector. Tossed the projector, gave the lens to Charlie Barringer who said it was a plain vanilla Tessar. When you think about it, a projection lens has to be more or less a taking lens.

Geoffrey_5995
14-Jul-2011, 13:36
I once found one mounted in a tube that fitted a projector. Tossed the projector, gave the lens to Charlie Barringer who said it was a plain vanilla Tessar. When you think about it, a projection lens has to be more or less a taking lens.

Hi Dan, Yes, I shoot with projection lenses all the time with great results. I've seen on Google that this Proj-Tessar has much shallower depth of field than the standard Tessar design but could find out no more. There are some posted examples. I have yet to take it apart to compare the cells and configuration with a standard Tessar. Thanks for the input. Geoff

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-Jul-2011, 13:39
... I've seen on Google that this Proj-Tessar has much shallower depth of field than the standard Tessar design but could find out no more...

Don't pay too much attention to Google: keeping the fstop and focal length constant, all lenses have the same depth of field.

Geoffrey_5995
14-Jul-2011, 20:47
Don't pay too much attention to Google: keeping the fstop and focal length constant, all lenses have the same depth of field.

Hmm...Yes Jason, you are correct. Well, I'll test the lens and see what results I get. Thanks, Geoff

voigtf64
15-Jul-2011, 11:56
I have an old (1930s)Zeiss Ikon 6x9 enlarger and the non removable lens is 120mm projection-tessar enlarging lens.never used it though.