PDA

View Full Version : Victoria/Sidney, BC, November

Scott Walker
13-Jul-2011, 11:41
I am going to be there November 7-11 with nothing planned except maybe a game of golf or two. Anything fun & exciting going on for a guy draging an 8x10 around?

Joseph Dickerson
25-Jul-2011, 08:51
Hi Scott,

Fisgard Lighthouse west of Victoria is a favorite of mine. It's at the entrance to Esquimalt harbour.

Victoria's inner harbour has lot's of vantage points and subjects. The Parliment building is lighted at night, and of course there is the Empress Hotel. I don't know if the buskers (street entertainers) are working in November but they can be great fun if they are.

Goldstream Provincial Park offers the stream itself, a waterfall and, about the time you'll be there, a salmon run that attracts hundreds of eagles.

If you're into architecture and/or fishing villages there's a lot to be found up island. If you have time you could head out to Tofino/Uclelet. The area is really crowded in the summer but probably not in November.

I'm sure the locals will chime in with much more. I usually hit a good book store as soon as I get some where I haven't visited before. Look through the local travel section and you'll find lots of places to see and shoot.

Ann and I love V.I. and get up there as often as we can.

Don't miss the Otter Point Bakery and Tea Room. It's out in Sooke and the sausage rolls are to die for. Also we highly recommend the steak and Guiness pie at the Irish Times Pub on Government Street in Victoria.

JD

Scott Walker
25-Jul-2011, 14:05
Thank you for the reply Joseph.
My wife and I love the island as well and try to spend at least 2 weeks a year there. This year is turning out to be stellar, spent a week in Parksville in March, 2 weeks on our boat in the Gulf Islands in May/June, will be in Port Alberni/Tofino for 10 days mid August, and then Sidney/Victoria in November. :)
Sook sounds good, I have not ventured up that road for about 5 or 6 years and I have only ever seen Fisgard Lighthouse from the water. It seems odd that I have never stopped in at Goldstream Provincial Park considering the number of times I have driven through it. The three are pretty close to each other so I may be able to make a day of it.
I love being in, on, or around the water, so me & my camera have hung out at Vic Harbor, Port Sidney & Van Isle on many occasions before when in the Victoria area, and I am sure this trip will be no different. :D

Joseph Dickerson
25-Jul-2011, 15:41
You indeed do know the Island.

If you have a little more time we love Port Hardy and Port Alberni as well. But they're both a long drive from Victoria.

We had a van breakdown a couple of years ago in Port Alberni, believe it or not, the morning we were planning to drive out to Bamfield! Parts weren't in stock so we stayed for the weekend, we would probably still be waiting for parts if it had happened in Bamfield!

But we lucked out as the tall ships were in port for the weekend. Including The Lady Washington, and HMS Bounty. It was really great.

The access for Fisgard is through a park/historical district with lots of WWII shore batteries, but I don't recall it's name off hand. Some potential there as well. There is also a sand spit across from the light which will give you a different perspective on it, although it's a long lens shot. If I remember correctly the sand spit has some old industrial buildings that might be interesting.

If you go to Sooke, stop at Cooper's Cove. It's on Sooke Inlet, not the Juan De Fuca Stait, and there are usually some old decaying boats etc. to shoot. Also great kayaking and rental boats are/were available but they might be closed that late in the year. We had lunch there and were introduced to Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Think Guiness with a chocolate finish. Good stuff.

Last fall Ann and I did Nova Scotia and the Eastern Seaboard so we didn't get our V.I. fix...this fall were doing Montana and the Four Corners area. But next year we've got to get up there. I'm hoping to see/photograph the salmon run on Goldstream. We also love to camp and kayak at Strathcona Provincial Park, just west of Campbell River. Another great side trip is to take the Uchuck out of Gold River. We took it out to Nootka Island which is a First Nations reservation. Old chapel, donated by the Spanish Government, it's where Bodega made first contact, and a great lighthouse are wonderful subjects. But the Uchuck only stays out there for an hour or two.

Have a great time. And let me know how fall color is on the Island, I'm thinking there isn't much with all the conifers but I think I remember a lot of deciduous trees around the Goldstream visitor's center.

JD

Nathan Potter
25-Jul-2011, 17:18
One of the most impressive spots for me is MacMillan Provincial Park on Rte 4 about 20 km east of Port Alberni. There is a grove of old growth Douglas fir that is quite spectacular. May be a little less so after a terrific blowdown about 1992 but I found it even more interesting photographically in 1996 than in 1988. There is a nice stream at the south end of the park framed with Western Red Cedars and a few of the Doug firs.

Of course much further along Pacific Rim Park near Tofino is quite spectacular along the shore and in the giant red cedar forests back from the shore.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Scott Walker
26-Jul-2011, 06:50
...this fall were doing Montana and the Four Corners area.
JD

Lots of amazing sights to be seen in Montana, we had a vacation home on the Flathead River near Big Fork for 20 some years and have spent countless hours with a big camera between the Flathead Valley and Glacier National Park. Since you will be so close don't miss Yellowstone.

Scott Walker
26-Jul-2011, 07:01
One of the most impressive spots for me is MacMillan Provincial Park on Rte 4 about 20 km east of Port Alberni. There is a grove of old growth Douglas fir that is quite spectacular. May be a little less so after a terrific blowdown about 1992 but I found it even more interesting photographically in 1996 than in 1988. There is a nice stream at the south end of the park framed with Western Red Cedars and a few of the Doug firs.

Of course much further along Pacific Rim Park near Tofino is quite spectacular along the shore and in the giant red cedar forests back from the shore.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Yes, Cathedral Grove, quite spectacular. I think the stream you are refering to is Cameron Creek. My oldest son lives on Great Central Lake just west of Port Alberni so we do stop in at Cathedral on a fairly regular basis but when ever we get to the west coast we tend to surf from sunrise to sunset so I have never actually seen much of the Tofino area. :o

Scott Walker
21-Feb-2012, 11:00
Hi Scott,

Fisgard Lighthouse west of Victoria is a favorite of mine. It's at the entrance to Esquimalt harbour.

Victoria's inner harbour has lot's of vantage points and subjects. The Parliment building is lighted at night, and of course there is the Empress Hotel. I don't know if the buskers (street entertainers) are working in November but they can be great fun if they are.

Goldstream Provincial Park offers the stream itself, a waterfall and, about the time you'll be there, a salmon run that attracts hundreds of eagles.

If you're into architecture and/or fishing villages there's a lot to be found up island. If you have time you could head out to Tofino/Uclelet. The area is really crowded in the summer but probably not in November.

I'm sure the locals will chime in with much more. I usually hit a good book store as soon as I get some where I haven't visited before. Look through the local travel section and you'll find lots of places to see and shoot.

Ann and I love V.I. and get up there as often as we can.

Don't miss the Otter Point Bakery and Tea Room. It's out in Sooke and the sausage rolls are to die for. Also we highly recommend the steak and Guiness pie at the Irish Times Pub on Government Street in Victoria.

JD

Just got back from a short trip to Victoria. Managed to get to Fisgard Lighthouse and Fort Rodd this trip, definitely worth the time. Also took in Royal Roads University and Craigdarroch Castle. Found a new park I had not visited in the past and even made it to Sooke :)

Tony Evans
21-Feb-2012, 11:15
Scott,

I can be there (Brentwood Bay) and can bring Shen-Hao & Golf Clubs. PM me nearer the time.

Tony

Scott Walker
21-Feb-2012, 11:34
Scott,

I can be there (Brentwood Bay) and can bring Shen-Hao & Golf Clubs. PM me nearer the time.

Tony

Next planned trip is near the end of May, I will let you know when I know the details.

Tony Evans
21-Feb-2012, 18:39
Scott,

Look forward to that.

Tony