PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma: How ro replace light seals?

coa_lund
13-Jul-2011, 03:48
I have a Sinar Norma which needs new light seals in the front an rear standards. Has anyone experience in how to replace them, suitable material, etc?
coa_lund

Adamphotoman
14-Jul-2011, 20:21
Philip Morgan has a 35$ DVD movie on a complete CLA for the Norma. He regularly lists on Ebay under Sinar. I have the same light Gasket issue on my Normas, however, they are used daily for copy work with a Betterlight and 900 watt Northlights. I must have the right lens boards I did not get any image fogging even with the old gasket material removed. I will contact Philip to see if he has any answers. The original seals are a black braided cord glued into place. I will need to go through my records to see where black flocking paper can be sourced.
Grant

Adamphotoman
18-Jul-2011, 14:56
Hey there,
Philip got back to me.
try this place for light gasket material.
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-RES/Camera-Restoration-Supplies.aspx

GeorgesGiralt
19-Jul-2011, 07:25
Hello !
I had luck replacing light traps on old cameras (same vintage as SINAR Norma) using a large cotton thread used to knit.
Use as little glue as you can otherwise the thred gets hard. And this reduce it's properties.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
19-Jul-2011, 07:36
You glue in black wool or knitting cotton yearn !

GeorgesGiralt
20-Jul-2011, 00:42
Yes. I tend to favor a very heavy gage of cotton thread because it produce less lint.
This method is used in the Agfa's Isolette I and II to seal the back from light leaks.

coa_lund
27-Jul-2011, 17:09
I wish to thank everybody who has clarified this question
coa_lund

Daniel Unkefer
2-Aug-2011, 21:09
I recently replaced the light seals in my 5x7 and 8x10 Sinar Norma Rear Standards, both sides were replaced. I used the adhesive-backed black foam, of the appropriate thickness. Cut the material with my rotary trimmer in my darkroom. Took a while to do, but a very straightforward procedure. Cleaning and preparing the standards to accept the modern foam strips took the most time. I would not be in a hurry on this.

Came out great, good as new. The 4x5 used a braided black cotton cord, and probably white glue to hold it in it's channel.