PDA

View Full Version : Good book on colour process?

SeanEsopenko
10-Jul-2011, 20:52
I recently picked up Robert Hirsch's Exploring Color Photography (5th Ed.). While it's a great book that summarizes the process of shooting & printing colour film I feel there's a lot not covered due to the generalized nature of the book. It has a lot of what but not much why. Good book, still.

Are there any books that are a little more technical with more information on exposing & printing colour film itself that have a fair bit of information on negative film/printing? I've spent about 20 minutes looking through my past threads but I can't find a single specific post where one person recommended an out of print book that looked good at the time.

Doug Herta
10-Jul-2011, 21:29
Kodak has technical bulletins on their website (the J and Z series bulletins).

The book I turn to in my darkroom for color processing information is "Kodak Color Darkroom Guide" ISBN 0-87985-611-4. (Probably out of print)

Color developing and printing information is mostly dedicated to chemical mixing, time/temperature and dialing in your enlarger head. Color developing/printing does not have the range of techniques that are found in the black and white literature.

I am interested to see where others get their technical information, besides the standard Kodak guide. It has photographic examples of how to do a "ring around" to get the color accurate and LOADS of info on films not longer being made!

Drew Wiley
11-Jul-2011, 10:23
The problem is that virtually everything out there is either non-specific or just plain out
of date. Old literature is often helpful for tidbits of this and that, but for up-to-date
information you basically just have mfg tech sheets for chemistry plus the web, which
of course, contains a vast amt of BS to filter through before you find reliable info. Color
printing is mainly the school of hard knocks unless you have some local workshop or
college course available. Color neg printing with RA4 processing is by far the easiest form of darkroom color printing to learn.

Jon Shiu
11-Jul-2011, 11:53
Pick up a copy of Henry Horenstein's book on Color Photography.

Jon

SeanEsopenko
11-Jul-2011, 14:02
Pick up a copy of Henry Horenstein's book on Color Photography.

Jon

Is this the book you are referring to? (http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Revised-Henry-Horenstein/dp/0131839888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310418089&sr=8-1)

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 14:47
If this is going to be a compilation of favorite publications, try Zakia and Todd's Color Primer. It's a bit complex for the average photographer but describes color theory nicely with regard to the basic nuts and bolts of the physics. been about twenty years since I read it cover to cover :D

bob carnie
11-Jul-2011, 14:50
Phil Davis made a few great manuals for colour processes.

Greg Blank
11-Jul-2011, 15:09
In my early days I aspired to learn dye transfer from Eliot Porter, but by the time I could have done so he was beyond eighty. The best thing I got from him was a portfolio review, which included B&W images of mine. He liked one of my B&W prints, and one of my color images, the letter was critical of other pieces of my work, but I took his advice and strived to better myself and my imagery. All in all his letter has been most helpful.

My color photography teacher at the time said I was a better photographer than Mr. Porter ;) so maybe time will tell. But I think my teacher was/is the real cool dude, for at least having encouraged me. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwHMMvV88I

. Color
printing is mainly the school of hard knocks unless you have some local workshop or
college course available. Color neg printing with RA4 processing is by far the easiest form of darkroom color printing to learn.