PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Handy infos & help

ghe67
10-Jul-2011, 10:21
Hi guys,
I'm thinking to buy a Sinar Handy camera, I'm fell in love with it and I have some questions about the camera as I've not found many infos on the web so I hope someone will be able to help me here:
I want to use it for portraits, ( I know it's not designed for the job..) so I don't need lens movements, it can be used for the task?
How can I mount a 270mm lens on it and which type of lens board/coneplate I need?
The original Sinar cone seems impossible to find but I know that Rodenstock, Schneider and Fotoman can supply these parts, any feedback?
The camera is compatible with the Sinar DB shutter as I'm thinking to use some barrel or sinar db lens without shutter?
The Sinar Six meter can be fitted on the back?
I've read that the back is a standard Sinar P, so I think it would?
What do you think in general about the camera and how much I must pay for it?
Sorry for a lot of questions but really I can't find any answer on the web and also the manual is unavailable everywhere.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Giorgio

PS: I'm desperately looking for the Sinar Handy manual, does anyone have a pdf copy to send me? :)

Frank Petronio
10-Jul-2011, 10:28
You're nuts.

I mean go for it, Kodak needs to sell as much film as possible.... but shooting portraits with a 270mm lens mounted on a DB board on a Sinar Handy with a Sinar shutter is silly business when there are so many better tools that can do the job far better.

ghe67
10-Jul-2011, 10:47
HI Frank,
yes, I'm nuts..I know, in everything I do I always look the way more complicated, but I'm a pianist, not a professional, it's just a passion for the unusal things and I don't shoot Kodak film, I use Efke and Foma...:) :) :)
Anyway, reading some old post here I've often found your name regarding the Sinar Handy, I think you like the camera or I'm wrong?
If you have some time to answer some of my questions I will be happy to read your post. :)
Thanks
Giorgio

Jim Noel
10-Jul-2011, 15:47
Hi guys,
I'm thinking to buy a Sinar Handy camera, I'm fell in love with it and I have some questions about the camera as I've not found many infos on the web so I hope someone will be able to help me here:
I want to use it for portraits, ( I know it's not designed for the job..) so I don't need lens movements, it can be used for the task?

In a simple answer, not unless youwant vbery distorted faces.

How can I mount a 270mm lens on it and which type of lens board/coneplate I need?

You can't without a lot of jerry rigging.

The original Sinar cone seems impossible to find but I know that Rodenstock, Schneider and Fotoman can supply these parts, any feedback?
The camera is compatible with the Sinar DB shutter as I'm thinking to use some barrel or sinar db lens without shutter?
I don't believe so.
The Sinar Six meter can be fitted on the back?
I think so.

I've read that the back is a standard Sinar P, so I think it would?
What do you think in general about the camera and how much I must pay for it?
Sorry for a lot of questions but really I can't find any answer on the web and also the manual is unavailable everywhere.

You are on your own here. In today's market the value will vary too widely in various locations.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Giorgio

PS: I'm desperately looking for the Sinar Handy manual, does anyone have a pdf copy to send me? :)

In my opinion you should stay away from this camera for portraits. It is fun as a point and shoot 4x5, but that is about it. You need to learn how to pre-focus so it is ready when you are.

Frank Petronio
10-Jul-2011, 16:56
Well he could get a Sinar Handy.... And add the optional front standard, telescopic bellows, monorail base and extensions, a rail clamp and the pan-tilt head. Plus the Sinar shutter and 270mm DB-mounted lens. That would make a nice, workable set-up and the Handy grip on the rear would improve the handling.

Don't pay over $5,000 USd. I have one I could let go for $4,800.

Armin Seeholzer
11-Jul-2011, 01:41
I see them most on german ebay, but I do not recomand it for portraits, its for Archi pics in almost impossible positions with a very wide lens!

Cheers Armin

ghe67
11-Jul-2011, 02:54
HI,
thanks for the answers.
Yes, I know it's not for portraits, but it has something special for me so I would try anyway.
I have already the right cameras for the job, a beautiful Busch-Pressman D with 4 lenses and a Pentacon Six with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 120 & 180mm, fantastic lenses but even if I'm planning to buy a MPP Micro technical MK VIII or a Linhof in the future, really I will try to shoot some portraits with the Handy.
I don't need to gain money with the camera, I don't need to work with it, it's not my job it's just a passion, so...
Also, I have found an interesting adapter for the Mamiya RB/RZ lenses for the Sinar camera, quite expensive, does anyone have experiences with these adapter?
They are made by JUST TOGETHER, the mamiya lenses are cheap but I can't realize how to cook the shutter on the lens...
I will see, also what Frank says is interesting but I wll end with a very expensive set-up and I will loose the Handy non bellows characteristics.
Giorgio

ghe67
3-Aug-2011, 15:21
Hi guys,
so, I've ended buying all the Sinar Handy parts separately and now I have a complete camera for about 150$.:)
After a lot of search and readings I have choose to build a lens board for the Graflex XL lenses, i have already bought 2 XL cameras with 100mm, 47mm and the 180mm.
The idea is to mount the complete front plate of the Graflex on the Sinar lens board, it could be done without problems as SK Grimes told me.
My question is:
if I take precise measurements of the Graflex XL camera body from lens mounting flange to film plane and I keep the same measure on my Sinar camera with or without some spacer, as the lens have already mounted on them the right focus cones for each focal lenght, I think I would not have any problems with focusing, I'm missing something?
The lenses coverage is not a problem as I will shoot just portraits with 180 and 270mm lenses.
Sorry if maybe you will find stupid my question.
Thanks for your advice.
Giorgio