PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff user hint of the week or so

TheDeardorffGuy
5-Jul-2011, 17:05
Several Deardorff owners on this forum have asked me the same question regarding upkeep of their cameras. I thought I'd start a thread here on this. I'll start with the one that gives instant gratification. Getting Lubed! No not what you are thinking bit the proper type of grease and oils and waxes. Put your camera on a tripod and address it. Hello camera! I call my user V8 MSD. Merle S Deardorff. So with MSD racked out front and rear there are several lube points you should attend. First, see the double geared rear rack? See the slots? They need grease. No one ever does this. I use Lubriplate 630. I doube you will find this so find a VERY thick white lithium grease. Put it in the slots. Roll the rear turntable forward. This spreads the grease in the slots. See it get pushed out? Put that behind the shoes and roll it back. Not roll the rear extension in. Roll it out. Wipe the excess off the shoes and racks. Now get an old white candle. Rub the wax on the bottom of the rear extension. Rub some on the inside of the rear ext. Rub some more on the bottom of the front ext. Roll the front and rear in. Wipe the excess off. And a drop of 3 in 1 brand oil on the metal to metal rod contacts in the Focus shoes. Feels better already huh? More to come......

johnielvis
5-Jul-2011, 17:38
hey, allright--info I can use--pics with arrows would be helpful beyond belief---I need to slicken up my 11x14 commercial camera---the rear is nice and loose but the front seems tight and unyielding...and the central intermediate standards need constant encouragement to move when moving the back/front--do you have a maintenance book available perhaps...with pics?

TheDeardorffGuy
5-Jul-2011, 19:11
No pics yet. Thats what the words were for!! On your commercial See the clamp knobs that hold the front tilt? See those thin plates? The grease has dried out in them. Loosen the nuts with the springs. Put some oil drops between the plates and the uprights. Move the front back and forth to soften the grease and spread the old lube. That will help alot., Ken

hey, allright--info I can use--pics with arrows would be helpful beyond belief---I need to slicken up my 11x14 commercial camera---the rear is nice and loose but the front seems tight and unyielding...and the central intermediate standards need constant encouragement to move when moving the back/front--do you have a maintenance book available perhaps...with pics?

Uri A
11-Jul-2011, 01:53
Hi Ken,

This is very much appreciated, but I agree that pictures would be helpful. I own a V8, but I don't know what a turntable is or what shoes are. If you have time one day, even some very basic pics would be great.

Thank you!

TheDeardorffGuy
11-Jul-2011, 23:35
The rear swing and front swing plates are called Turntables.
The "slides that slide in the slots are called Shoes.
I'll do some photos.............

Hi Ken,

This is very much appreciated, but I agree that pictures would be helpful. I own a V8, but I don't know what a turntable is or what shoes are. If you have time one day, even some very basic pics would be great.

Thank you!

TheDeardorffGuy
12-Jul-2011, 10:29
Shoes,Racks,shafts. All need lube.
Shoes: Slide in the Rack. grease the top slot they slide in.
Racks:Straight gearing. Bottom slot nees lube too.
Pinion rod Shaft: A drop of oil in the bearing
Rub Wax on wood to wood surfaces

John Berry
12-Jul-2011, 12:54
A stick of door ease works great for the wax part.

TheDeardorffGuy
17-Jul-2011, 16:57
John Thanks for the Door Ease hint! Ace Hardware carries it.