PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a lens (90 SA vs 90 Gndagon vs ?)

wallrat
5-Jul-2011, 12:44
Hello, I am leaving on a photography trip in 10 days and I want to add a 90mm to my collection for use on my Tachihara and my Calument Cambo (both are 4x5). I am looking at the Super-Angulon 90 f8 on KEH in EX+ w/ caps for $364 in a Copal 0. Does that sound like a reasonable price and would it work well on both cameras?

Thanks in advance,
-Bill

Btw, if you have a 90 for sale, feel free to pm me. I posted a wtb on the for sale board and bumped it once, but no bites so far.

wallrat
5-Jul-2011, 12:52
They also have a 90 F6.8 GRANDAGON MC in Copal for $465 in EX condition. It's $100 more and in lower "condition" category, but I'm not going to starve over the extra $100 if it's worth it. I'm learning about LF lenses by reading all I can get my hands on, but there is so much to learn I hoped some of you may have some personal experience or things to look out for on these lenses.

engl
5-Jul-2011, 13:58
I don't think there is any 90mm from Fuji, Schneider, Nikon or Rodenstock that would be considered anything else than "great". You just have to choose what you want from your lens.

If weight and size is more important than coverage, there is the 90mm F6.8 Angulon.

The rest are hourglass-shaped, are bigger and have larger coverage, and are available with multi-coating. The faster ones (F4.5, F5.6) are brighter on the GG and have larger coverage, while the slower ones (F6.8, F8) are smaller. The exception is the Nikon 90mm F8 which is smallest, yet has as large coverage as the F4.5 lenses. Because of this it is also more expensive.

Personally I'd go for a multicoated one. Of the two you mention I'd go with the Grandagon, nearly the same weight, same filter size, but multicoated, a bit brighter on the ground glass and some extra coverage.

IanG
5-Jul-2011, 14:52
I have both, a MC 90mm f6.8 Grandagon and a coated 90mm f5.6 Super Angulo, they are equally as good and I've used a coated f8 SA in the past.

Those prices are a touch high, I buy from the US & UK so generally know what lenses are selling for. However you are paying for a warranty from KEH so the shutter should be covered for a few months at least.

Given a choice I'd always go for a Rodenstock if there wasn't much in the price but then I'd much prefer another German lens like a Schneider rather than a Japanese lens.

Ian

wallrat
11-Jul-2011, 23:25
I was contacted by a guy based on this post and went with a mint Caltar II-N (Grandagon-N) for $300 shipped and I'm very happy with it. Thanks for all of the help.