PDA

View Full Version : Vageeswari ULF resource

Michael Carter
5-Jul-2011, 08:03
Vageeswari Camera Works was in India. It closed. However, cameras in storage in the factory are being sold from. Some are not ULF, but many are; sizes are 8x15, 10x12, and 12x15.

Why not use them? I couldn't resist them and bought an assortment, ending finally with the prize of a 12x15 finally. They are made to photograph onto glass plates. I learned how to coat my own glass plates. I also ordered some Ilford negative 12x15 special cut. With a tacky backing board it'll work fine.

Some people fix them up and sell them for more. I fixed mine up and use them as they were designed to be used: with glass plates. There are a few sites devoted to emulsion making and coating. Now they also tell how to coat ULF plates. cough, cough. I was pissed nobody told ME how to do it, but hints were a plenty.

Really though, the cameras are great big ones for little coin. I'd like to hear from other users of dry plate ULF cameras.

Asher Kelman
5-Jul-2011, 08:09
Why not use them? I couldn't resist them and bought an assortment, ending finally with the prize of a 12x15 finally. They are made to photograph onto glass plates. I learned how to coat my own glass plates. I also ordered some Ilford negative 12x15 special cut. With a tacky backing board it'll work fine.

Michael,

This sounds so intriguing! Why don't you post pictures of your camera?

Asher

IanG
5-Jul-2011, 08:17
So tell us how to get hold of these cameras.

Ian

Michael Carter
5-Jul-2011, 14:33
There are pictures on my web site, studiocarter.com and in another thread for pictures in here the 8x15 one shows a photograph taken with one.
alx.pk sells them and photolud fixes them up for more. They are in egay under film cameras. A search on the sizes, sellers, or Vageeswari or what have you will show them.

IanG
5-Jul-2011, 15:06
You haven't answered my question.

You said "However, cameras in storage in the factory are being sold from." so how do we buy direct from India, who do we contact ?

I take it English isn't your native language.

Ian

Michael Carter
5-Jul-2011, 17:56
it is ebay not egay
nuf said

Fourtoes
10-Jul-2011, 13:56
Ebay seller "Photolud" seems to be the main UK seller at a variety of prices as he seems to have done them up nicely.

I have a 8.5x15 that I've started using for wetplate, my studio partner has a 10x12 and 12x15 also to shoot wetplate.

Really good solid cameras, I really like the format of my 8.5x15 although it does limit you to shooting landscape, unless you are feelinbg brave and tilt it over on your tripod head.....

Andrew Plume
11-Jul-2011, 09:07
Ebay seller "Photolud" seems to be the main UK seller at a variety of prices as he seems to have done them up nicely.

I have a 8.5x15 that I've started using for wetplate, my studio partner has a 10x12 and 12x15 also to shoot wetplate.

Really good solid cameras, I really like the format of my 8.5x15 although it does limit you to shooting landscape, unless you are feelinbg brave and tilt it over on your tripod head.....

yes, you're spot on here, Mr Photolud seems to have, both access to a supply of these and the only UK seller - they're not cheap but he does of course have to factor in his time for their restoration, imho

andrew

Michael Carter
16-Jul-2011, 07:48
Well, I like them for dry plate use. They don't need to be fixed up much either, unless you like them looking all new.

galactic.surfeur
27-Mar-2012, 10:58
Just bought (yesterday) a Vageeswari camera, a 10x12. I'm excited to receive it :)

A link to find any plate holder in 10x12 format? I have one with the camera, but I want another to modify it to make 5x7 or 4x5.

Uncle Jim
29-Mar-2012, 20:36
Hi All,

I recently bought a 10 x12. I got 3 film holders with it. One of them came with a set of wooden reducers that fit in the film holder for various sizes of smaller film.
I haven't used it yet, as I am still working of tuning it up, making lens boards, and a tripod adapter. I'll be shooting paper negatives and x-ray film in it, like i do
with my 8.5 x15. I love the negatives that both of them will produce.

uncle jim

Lachlan 717
29-Mar-2012, 21:28
How are you doing the tripod adaptor, Unky Jim?

Uncle Jim
2-Apr-2012, 20:12
Hi Lachlan,

I have been working on it for the last several days. I finished installing it this morning. It was ready last night, but I forgot to get the nuts for the bolts that I bought. Yes, I know stupid.

I have a small digital camera and could try to take some pictures if you would like. Am not sure about how to post them.

Because the 10 x 12 such a huge opening for the tripod, I decided something different was needed to fill it up, and yet be light in weight. I made a filler block of half inch hard wood.
It is six sided. Three short sides where the ears that support the tripod legs are and three long sides to connect them. All the angles are 60 degrees. This needs to be a reasonably close fit. On the short sides I cut brackets from Aluminum Angle. One leg fit the short side of the filler block, and the other matched the projecting ear of the tripod support. The block really needs to be a close fit. I needed to shim out two sides 1/16 inch but got a really close fit.

I made filler blocks for the curved opening in the tripod supports, and drilled the holes in them for the bolts them marked the brackets and drilled them. Last I made the bottom plate that goes under the tripod support. The Angle brackets go on top. You must be very careful marking these holes as the bolts go through three pieces of material and all of the holes need to line up. There is a threaded insert in the center of the wooden plate for the new tripod connection. It's 3/8 inch.

With this design the new tripod connection is about 3/4 inch below the camera. This raises the camera off of the table or other support it is on and allows you to focus without the knobs rubbing. I'm working on the new adapter lens board as most of my lenses are on 4 x 4 boards, and the 10 x 12 uses a 6 x 6.25 lens board. Hopefully, I finish the adapter tomorrow and be able to put my 15 inch Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar. It covers the 8.5 x 15 so 10 x 12 is no problem.

I need to work on the film holders yet, so it will be a week or two before I can shoot any paper. I'll keep you posted and try to get some pictures as they would help with the explanation.

Keep Well,
uncle jim