PDA

View Full Version : California, Spanish and LF

Terry Hull
5-Jul-2011, 07:57
My wife and I are looking for a place, near some of my favorite LF sites (this part is mostly me), where we can also continue our diligent study of the Spanish language. By combining the two I think I can get a month in SCal, or Nevada, but here is my problem.

I need to find a college, or school, not for credit, where we can take advanced language courses, either Spanish literature, conversation, grammar, etc. We hope to rent a place (VRBO) for a month next winter-Jan or Feb. Ideally if there were a group, similar to one we formed in our home town [URL="http://www.sociedadhispanadoylestown.com"] that would also work.

Any LFers know of schools, or language clubs, etc. that might fit the bill? It seems it is the only way for me to get back to DV next year. Thanks.

Curt Palm
5-Jul-2011, 09:02
If age appropriate, have you checked elederhostel or theri roadscholar progarms, http://www.roadscholar.org for programs that might fit your requirements?

Michael Clark
11-Jul-2011, 20:57
You could hang out or work in any fast food joint around the Hollyback or Boyle Heights area of east LA, may not be great grammar but would be a lot of conversation in Spanish. I have been shooting the bridges along the L.A. river lately and eating at local restaurants, a lot of spanish spoken there..The Community Collages offer inexpensive language classes,as well as the adult learning centers. Mostly English as a second language.

Mike

John Kasaian
12-Jul-2011, 02:22
Most junior colleges in California offer conversational Spanish for medical personnel or law enforcement. Many community adult schools as well, though with the money situation in CA that might have changed.
There is a private language school in Monterey, not far from Point Lobos, its sort of a civilian version of the DLI which caters to businessmen headed overseas. I forgot the name but you can do a search.

Terry Hull
12-Jul-2011, 11:36
Thanks. I hang out here in PA with landscapers from time to time, but was looking for something advanced, e.g, spanish literature, to supplement a local Spanish book club/Society that I started here about 4 years ago.

John-The Monterrey idea sounds great-post it if you can remember the name. I will try googling it.

Two23
12-Jul-2011, 11:41
Why not just do a year of study in Barcelona? Lot's of great things to photo there, and you would have access to a more educated class. Chile might be a great option for photography too.

Kent in SD

Terry Hull
12-Jul-2011, 17:42
We have gone to Spain, Argentina, Mexico in previous years, but alas la moneda cataluņa is expensive!

Bill_1856
12-Jul-2011, 18:54
http://www.medspanish.org/courses.php?pick=1&&where=USA
I took this a couple of years ago in Tucson, AZ. Excellent photo opportunities there, as well as the Photography Musem with Weston, Strand, Adama, etc archives.

Terry Hull
13-Jul-2011, 04:12
Bill-Thanks-that is the sort of thing I am looking for!

John Kasaian
16-Jul-2011, 21:06
Thanks. I hang out here in PA with landscapers from time to time, but was looking for something advanced, e.g, spanish literature, to supplement a local Spanish book club/Society that I started here about 4 years ago.

John-The Monterrey idea sounds great-post it if you can remember the name. I will try googling it.

Here you go:
http://www.miis.edu/

David Karp
17-Jul-2011, 11:14
Community colleges often offer a wide variety of classes like those you might be interested in. For example, the school where I work offers courses in Spanish literature, Mexican literature, Spanish composition, Spanish for professionals, etc.

The problem here in California is going to be the budgets of most community college districts. All districts are facing severe cutbacks of one kind or another, and usually the courses cut back are the "non-essential" courses. So most of the courses offered will be the basic courses needed by the majority of students. Courses that are offered fill quickly and unfortunately many students are locked out when the courses that are offered fill up.