PDA

View Full Version : Darlot cone again on reenactment day

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:13
We had some reenactment here today. I learned this too late, got there around 1 and did 9 plates in like 4 hours. Here is a shot of one family. I was happy to do 4 plates for the grandparents and their grand children.

all 16x20 aluminum, 21" Darlot cone

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:15
This is the boy. I was going to do just the upper half, but after seeing his shoes which his grandpa made for him. I changed my mind. He held on to the gun very nicely.

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:17
Craig now has my scanner, so all of these photos are taken with my cell phone right on spot~~This is the sister, and that pistol fires!

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:18
Grandma's gun was even louder! In the end, this entire family lined up and fired quite a few loud shots for the crowd.

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:20
Many kids asked this grandpa if he was a pirate. He would correct every time by saying that he is a son of liberty :D

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:21
English man from the sixteen hundreds~~

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:22
English man~~

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:24
President Lincoln~~ He had the smae height. I am getting a convertible Chamonix 16x20 in a couple of months. I will be able to switch to portrait mode with that square camera. Can't do on this landscape one.

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:26
He recognized this is the Mathew Brady type of work, so he ask for another one. Too much reflection from the water in the tray. He liked this shot, saying he liked the "piercing eyes!" His name is Steve. He even had the same height as Lincoln.

tuant
4-Jul-2011, 19:27
The last English man and my last plate for the day~~

Mark Sawyer
4-Jul-2011, 20:02
Wonderful, wonderful work! I'm sure you made nine treasured family heirlooms that day. And it's nice to see a lens used "in the round"!

Joe Smigiel
4-Jul-2011, 20:28
These are very impressive plates. I'm curious as to the color differences apparent in the first image, The two at left have that coffee & cream thing going on while the right two are much more neutral. Is there such an actual difference and if so, why do you think it exists?

tuant
5-Jul-2011, 03:43
These are very impressive plates. I'm curious as to the color differences apparent in the first image, The two at left have that coffee & cream thing going on while the right two are much more neutral. Is there such an actual difference and if so, why do you think it exists?

Thanks, Mark!

Hi Joe,

When the plates are dried under the sun, it turns to whitish just like that, but when you varnish them, they will more or less return to the color of coffee cream. The color difference is because of the two on the left were still wet.

Tuant

goamules
5-Jul-2011, 04:33
You sure got some good plates!

Steven Tribe
5-Jul-2011, 05:21
I note that you call only some of these "Englishmen"? Surely they were all comparatively loyal subjects of King James (and others) considering their attire (not Abe, though!)?
One of my ancestors had the dubious task of administrating this problem area (mostly because of bickering between the separate colonies) in 1680-1710 for their Majesties. Jamaica was seen as a more promising colony - with lots of real trading, rather than just investment.

What a sensible way to use wet plate for everyone's enjoyment.

tuant
5-Jul-2011, 16:51
I note that you call only some of these "Englishmen"? Surely they were all comparatively loyal subjects of King James (and others) considering their attire (not Abe, though!)?
One of my ancestors had the dubious task of administrating this problem area (mostly because of bickering between the separate colonies) in 1680-1710 for their Majesties. Jamaica was seen as a more promising colony - with lots of real trading, rather than just investment.

What a sensible way to use wet plate for everyone's enjoyment.

Interesting! Some English men actually spelled this place "Strawbery Banke". Maybe your ancester was the one to blame:D The organizer was thinking about giving me a space inside during another reenactment to do some serious wet plate late August. These were all done in a parking lot, I couldn't really choose my background. The only thing that worries me about August is I might have to dress up as a Union soldier to work in there:D

Tri Tran
5-Jul-2011, 20:50
Bravo Tuant, what a productive day. I look forward to see your new Cham 16x20 Nice work as usual.

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jul-2011, 21:50
Tuant, these images are very well done. Nice to see them and I'm impressed as they were posted with the cell phone. Working fast with plates must be a challenge.