PDA

View Full Version : Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

Riverman
3-Jul-2011, 12:10
At the start of September I'm making an 8 day trip to Denali NP. I'll be backpacking and camping with a small group, including two guides.

I have decided to take my 4x5 - as I'm sure I would regret leaving it at home. This will be the first time in a long time that I've done multi day backpacking and the first time ever with large format camera kit.

Fortunately, my camera and lens set up is light (Chamonix, Fujinon 300 f8.5; Nikkor M 200 f8; Sironar N 135 f5.6). I'm also in the process of getting hold of a light tripod and head - since my current tripod/head combo is much too heavy for backpacking.

Film wise, I have to decide whether to bite the bullet and order some very expensive Quickloads from Japan Exposures (Acros and Astia seem to be available) or to pack a few holders and my Harrison Pup changing tent and some regular boxes of Acros and Provia (my preferred films).

Currently, I'm thinking that the changing tent option might be best, since it's quite packable and doesn't weigh too much - even with the poles. Also, regular 4x5 film boxes are pretty compact compared to QL packaging. If I go this route I'd probably take 4 holders and 40 sheets of film.

However, I know that after a long day's hiking, loading and unloading film will be a real chore so the QL tempts me (despite the price and even though I'd have to settle for Astia rather than Provia).

What would experienced LF backpackers advise? Quickloads or changing tent?

Any other general advice for backpacking with LF? Where in/on the pack should I carry the tripod? Stuff the LF gear in a day sack inside the main pack?

Riverman
3-Jul-2011, 12:53
Another option I am thinking about is to go with my Mamiya 6 and just leave the 4x5 at home for this trip. Given that I have practically zero experience of multi-day backpacking I wonder whether trying to haul my 4x5 kit is too ambitious on my first time out in the wilderness.

I can shoot the Mamiya much quicker and more spontaneously, don't need a tripod, keep my weight right down and can still bring back some decent sized negs/trannies.

Thoughts?

jeroldharter
3-Jul-2011, 13:00
I'm sure you are aware that you are a glutton for punishment, but here is my two cents.

This is what Quickloads/Readiloads were made for so if it is possible, I would go that route, even if relatively expensive. That saves you the weight/bulk of multiple holders, film storage boxes, changing tent, etc. I would consider a rigid storage case (like Tupperware) for the Quickloads to prevent bending, moisture damage, or general mischief.

If you are shopping for tripods consider the lightest 4-section Feisol tripod and the basic Acratech ball head. You won't find a lighter, more compact combo for the same level of rigidity and cost.

It would hurt, but I would consider a 2 lens outfit unless you really go ultralight with the camping gear. For 8 days, you will need a lot of food so I would put some thought into how to reduce the weight and bulk of that. You will need to decide if you want to take photos as you go or take photos only after setting up camp. That will help determine the packing/accessibility of camera gear.

I don't know how the bugs will be where you are going, but Alaska can be pretty rough. Trapping a lot of bugs inside the bellows can mess up some shots so be mindful of that.

I have never backpacked overnight with LF gear but if I did, I would want the gear stored in its own pack for weather proofing and for carrying from a basecamp. I really like this item:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/dry_peak_bagger.html

I use it inside of canoe portage packs for storing fishing tackle. If I used it for camera gear I might fit some closed cell foam around the perimeter for padding.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518jew8ZYKL._AA300_.jpg

jeroldharter
3-Jul-2011, 13:12
Well, that's different. I would take the Mamiya with 3 lenses and loads of 120 film. That would save you a lot of weight/bulk for film, holders, tent, boxes - and you might not need a separate light meter as well.

I would still consider a tripod though. Even without sunrise/sunset shots (I rarely take those with B&W film) I would still be taking near-to-far shots with the wide angle and need small apertures for depth of field. A tripod also helps to steady the telephoto shots, especially if I am a little shaky from exertion. At a bare minimum I would take a carbon fiber monopod. If you use a walking staff, you can get one with a camera screw on top to save weight. I have a Feisol CF monopod which feels almost weightless by itself and it works great with the Pentax 67 for travel photography.

Riverman
3-Jul-2011, 13:16
Thanks Jerold for the helpful advice. The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to just run with my Mamiya. I really want to be able to shoot while I'm hiking and the LF set up really doesn't permit that.

Although I'm in good shape, I do expect that I'll find 8 days hiking pretty tiring. Shooting 4x5 can be mentally exhausting and I'm not sure I'll find it that much 'fun' in my exhausted state at the end of each day.

Basically, I reckon I'll probably have more 'fun' shooting 120 on this trip.

falth j
3-Jul-2011, 13:26
If I were in your shoes, and had to consider whether or not to bring a LF camera, I would mull over these two questions:

1) Do the guides you'll be with, have the trip planned with LF photographic intentions in mind?

2) Do the guides have a targeted itinerary to accomplish and cover each day?

If the guides do not have any photo inclinations, and if they have a targeted itinerary to cover each day, I would leave any thoughts of LF photography behind, and concentrate image capture with a smaller and faster format.

Having been to Alaska on an organized outing, I found that I would never have had the time to haul around and setup a LF camera, as I would have been an annoyance to the rest of the group.

But, on the other hand if you’re an accomplished LF photographer, and can setup and break down your gear quickly without holding everyone else up, you just might have a few opportunities….

Riverman
3-Jul-2011, 13:44
1) Do the guides you'll be with, have the trip planned with LF photographic intentions in mind?

2) Do the guides have a targeted itinerary to accomplish and cover each day?

The trip has not been planned with LF specifically in mind and the group definitely does have a targeted itinerary to accomplish each day. (We will cover about 50 miles during the 8 days across quite varied terrain). The guides have told me that I'm welcome to bring LF and that there will be good opportunities for photography at the start and end of each day at camp. They have also said that there will be opportunities to shoot photos during the day but it's clear that I'd have to work quickly so as not to slow the group down. I work slowly in 4x5 in the best of conditions and I expect I would be a nuisance to the group. Plus, shooting at the end of the day around camp I expect I'll be knackered and prone to error!

The more I think on it, the more I'm convinced that the whole experience will be more enjoyable for all in the group if I leave my 4x5 at home. With my Mamiya + 50mm I can still shoot some dramatic landscapes with pretty large negs. I might also carry a Nikon F with a pancake lens as a mechanical back up in case the Mamiya fails.

Greg Miller
3-Jul-2011, 13:51
Along the lines of falth's comments, I would call the guide service and run it by them. Backpacking in Denali can be very strenuous. Even on good trails, backpacking for several days on end with a regular pack can be wearing, especially since you have little experience with this. Add the extra weight of camera gear and it could be a big problem. Good guides will generally empty your pack and make you discard unnecessary items before hitting the trail. They have suffered through trips where participants wear down from packs that are too heavy.

On the other hand, if you will be taking MF or LF gear, I would certainly take a tripod. If you don;t use a tripod, you might as well take a P&S camera. Be sure to keep your tripod and camera accessible. If you are tired, you will be very tempted to skip shots simply because of the hassle of getting everything out and then packing it up again.

I would suggest doing several practice hikes with your full backpack and gear. This will help get you conditioned, and also give you a feel for how many pounds you can carry all day, and give you practice unpacking and packing you camera gear. This is all better discovered close to home than in the back country of Denali.

Eric James
3-Jul-2011, 13:59
A little tilt will make a huge difference and I doubt that you'll save more than 5 pounds by choosing the the MF kit over your 4X5 kit with Quickloads. The Quickload convenience is huge, especially when you're beat - and you'll be beat. You've got plenty of time to find Quickloads before your departure - they're out there, although the Acros is scarce. And the cost of 40 or 60 Quickloads will be low compared to the overall cost of your trip.

I'll second Jerold's suggestion for carrying a second pack inside your main pack. Having all of your photo gear organized and ready to go will save a lot of time and energy. I use the Go Lite Jam Pack for my gear and it slips in and out of my large pack with ease - it's slightly bulkier than the OR bag, but it has compression straps, a means of carrying a tripod, two mesh pockets and a zippered pocket for hat, gloves, headlamp, insect (and bear) repellant, etc. I believe it weighs a pound.

Another note: I think you'll enjoy your trip more (and ultimately get better shots) if you find time to train before you go. The best way to train for hiking with a heavy load is to hike with a heavy load - beat yourself up, get sore, recover and repeat.

The lenses you carry is a very personal choice, depending on your vision. For what it's worth I would choose the same 3-lens kit. If you had a Fuji 240mm A then it would pair nicely with the 135mm and save you a little weight.

If you plan to use bear repellent, plan to buy it in AK - you can't take it on the plane. In Anchorage, not far from the airport, there's an REI on Northern Lights, across the street is the Bears Tooth for great food, and a half mile away is Keller's Photo - the last pro lab in town. I believe Keller's discontinued E-6 dip-and-dunk but they had plans to replace it with a one-shot system, and they can develop your Acros.

Drew Wiley
3-Jul-2011, 15:17
I was just checking my wt charts. With a two-lens outfit and a carbon-fiber tripod,
the wt difference between the M7 and 4x5 with Quickloads will only be three or four
lbs, or about five lbs difference if you take a film tent. A separate camera bag will
probably amount to almost as much again, and will probably be regretted as redundant extra weight. I'd wrap gear in bubble packing. The bigger problem will be if your LF shooting style becomes an inconvenience to the rest of the group. In the handful of instances I've taken MF, I've regretted it because, having gone to the effort of going somewhere special, I sacrificed camera movements and returned with smaller negs. But nasty weather or an impatient group can certainly change that dynamic and make you wish for something more spontaneous. What is more important is to work out with your pack to get your shoulders, legs, and lungs in shape. And you need to wear-in the pack system till it fits you and your gear
comfortably.

Riverman
3-Jul-2011, 18:43
The advice to physically prepare is definitely well taken. I'm planning some training hikes in July while over the last couple of months I've stepped up my exercise regime a gear or two. I fully expect the trip to be exhausting but I want to make sure I enjoy it.

The decision as to which camera rig I take - whether 4x5, 120 or 35mm might only be taken at the last minute, after I see how my preparation goes. The weight comparison made by Drew is interesting. I'd love to take the 4x5 but my sense is a smaller camera will give me considerably more freedom - and therefore fun.

Greg Miller
3-Jul-2011, 19:19
Don't underestimate what 4 or 5 extra pounds can do to you on the trail. In an activity where people drill holes in their toothbrush to shave an ounce, 4 or 5 pounds can be a big difference. Especially on difficult terrain.

Riverman
4-Jul-2011, 05:39
Don't underestimate what 4 or 5 extra pounds can do to you on the trail. In an activity where people drill holes in their toothbrush to shave an ounce, 4 or 5 pounds can be a big difference. Especially on difficult terrain.

That's for sure Greg. I am certain I will be impressed by Alaska enough to want to return there. So this first time round I think I'll travel light camera-wise (Mamiya or Nikon) and not necessarily make photography the 'prime purpose' of the trip. I guess I should gain more experience of multi-day backpacking before I think about carrying those extra several pounds or making photography my main reason to enter the wild.

Even though we all crave the largest negative possible, it's all about the image at the end of the day. And a strong image can be recorded on 135 or 120 in just the same way that a weak one can be shot to 4x5.

rguinter
4-Jul-2011, 07:14
Another option I am thinking about is to go with my Mamiya 6 and just leave the 4x5 at home for this trip. Given that I have practically zero experience of multi-day backpacking I wonder whether trying to haul my 4x5 kit is too ambitious on my first time out in the wilderness.Thoughts?

I think this depends on your age and overall physical condition.

I've carried backpacks on strenuous wilderness hikes for years and still do. I carry my Tachihara with all the accessories now in a pack with a light tripod.

But I would not attempt to do it on a multi-day hike. Even though I'm a regular in the gym for over 40-years, and pretty much as strong as ever, now nearing 60 I don't have the endurance I once had.

And don't forget there is other gear you will need to carry too.

My $0.02.

Bob G.

John Kasaian
4-Jul-2011, 07:18
Have you considered grafmatics?

Greg Miller
4-Jul-2011, 07:19
And don't forget there is other gear you will need to carry too.

Like 8 pounds of DEET?

But it sounds like a fun trip. Wish I was going.

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2011, 07:41
And a shotgun.

Bring a table top tripod and lash it to a tree. Portra 800. Eliminating the tripod will save your butt.

Riverman
4-Jul-2011, 07:49
And a shotgun.

Bring a table top tripod and lash it to a tree. Portra 800. Eliminating the tripod will save your butt.

The guides will be armed (shotgun or magnum I am told)!

jeroldharter
4-Jul-2011, 08:02
As an aside, I would soak all of my clothes in Permethrin which will help immensely with mosquitoes. It also helps with ticks but I don't know if those are common up there. Does not help much with black flies but nothing does. REI sells Sawyer brand permethrin. I buy mine much more cheaply as a concentrated from from an agriculture store and dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket in order to soak my clothes rather than spray them.

The weight issue is always agonizing to me. You can argue even that some 8x10 kits are no heavier than a pro 35mm kit. But time consumption, bulk, cognitive demands when tired, film management, etc. all factor in. But for black and white I would certainly take the Mamiya over a 35mm setup. Add a lightweight Feisol tripod and ball head and a walking stick with a monopod screw and you are all set.

A good way to shave some ounces is to use Cuben fiber stuff sacks. I get mine from ZPacks.

http://www.zpacks.com/

http://www.zpacks.com/images/accessories/stuffsacks/grn_medium_s.jpg

Bruce M. Herman
4-Jul-2011, 11:20
I don't think that you'll need much insect repellent in September. You'll encounter more biting flies (e.g., white socks) than mosquitoes, and I have not found them to be very responsive to DEET. I personally react far more to these bugs than to mosquitoes. Be sure to include Benadryl or some comparable drug in your personal kit.

September can be quite rainy up here with several consequences. You probably know about these, but here there are just in case. An umbrella with a clamp for your tripod will make it easy to set up in a drizzle. Remove the umbrella prior to clicking the shutter to avoid vibrations. I prefer to hike with an umbrella because I seat too much for Gortex, so it doesn't represent extra weight for me. Be sure that you have recently sealed the seams and rain fly of your tent. Finally, river crossings can be challenging because of high water. You may want to take some plastic bags for your camera gear in the event that you slip during a crossing or in case your pack isn't as waterproof as advertised.

Is this an early or late September trip? Each year is different, but you'll find little color by the end of September. It can snow in July in Denali, but it's pretty likely by late September. Do your guides have an alternate plan in the event of heavy snow in the park? Be sure to bring adequate insulation for this possibility.

To get you into the spirit, you should read Tom Walker's "Denali Journal" before going. Tom is a wildlife photographer and writer who lives near the park. He's spent more time in the park than anyone I know. You might also want to look at Ike Waits' "Denali National Park: Guide to Hiking, Photography and Camping." There are very few actual trails in the park, so many of these hikes are cross country. I know that you'll be with guides with their own plans, but this book may increase your sense of familiarity with the area.

In the event you forget anything, Anchorage has two good camping gear stores: REI and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH). Stewart's Photo Shop is the most fully equipped photo store in Anchorage, but will have not have much MF and no LF stuff. Camera Service Center has some gear and is probably the best place for repairs. Kellers Custom Photo Lab is where I have my e-6 work done in the event you want to have your film processed before you leave.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions.

Bruce

Bill Burk
4-Jul-2011, 12:13
If I could do it over again, I would have packed the 4x5 in Alaska. One of my B&W prints from 35mm, a hillside view with a herd of Dall sheep, lacks the detail that 4x5 could have easily delivered. I started shooting LF again in large part because I had a side-by-side comparison on my wall, that print next to a vintage 4x5 shot.

Find out what the guides "expect" your backpack to weigh and stay at or under that. Make up for the extra couple pounds in other areas. Ultra-light weight backpacking gear isn't going to cut it in Denali in September, but the mentality will work (multi-purpose gear, one of each item).

When backpacking, if you are in reasonably good shape, you should be able to hike for an hour with a 5 minute break. The guides would never press the group to that standard. You can use the "extra" break time they give the group, to take pictures. It's rejuvenating, so you will not mind pressing onward as soon as you wrap up, knowing you can take your "real" break at the next stop.

Find out when a day's hike ends. Mine typically end at 2pm. Some of my best times are right about that time. I use the excuse that I am "scouting for a better campsite" to drop my pack and go out looking. As long as you rejoin the group for chores you shouldn't raise too much resentment.

John Kasaian
4-Jul-2011, 12:38
Pack mule?

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2011, 13:43
If you want to use a 4x5 quickly, consider a user Crown Graphic that folds up with a lens enclosed and protected. A 135 and a 200 is nice combo, the Nikkor 200 might even fold up inside, the 135 surely will. Say to heck with movements and shoot a lot faster, get a longer hood loupe so you can fine focus with the metal focusing hood open, bring a Grafmatic or two and the Harrison tent. You can even handhold it. Maybe just bring the 135 lens and keep it real simple.

Drew Wiley
4-Jul-2011, 16:00
I'd think that long lenses relative to perspective would be pretty valuable regardless
of format, both for wildlife and for homing in on the mtn if the clouds part. That's a
long way to travel just to have wide-angle capability.

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2011, 16:08
300mm on an APS digital... can't do that 4x5

Ivan J. Eberle
4-Jul-2011, 17:01
Not exactly LF, but in my 20's I hauled a motordriven SLR, 300mm f/2.8, macro lens, wide angle, flash and a tripod into the backcountry of Denali.

Quickly discovered hiking off trail there really is unlike most places in the Lower 48. I was also a rather a fit backpacker with solo wilderness experience confident about 10-12 mile days elsewhere, but soon found that a mere 5 miles/day in the Techlinika River Basin whooped my butt.

The beargrass knobs float in pools among spongy tundra (spagnum moss a foot thick many places). My old-school leather boots prevented me from breaking an ankle but soon soaked through and weighed at least a pound more apiece. It was windy and blowing rain about 1/2 the time.Cranberries and blueberries were free for the picking but that also meant bears were near.

Can you schedule a couple of days before or after the trip for photography? Personally, I'd only do a large-format trip at my own pace. Can't imagine having to keep up with others and an itinerary (particularly in a large group with nobody else similarly weighted down with my 25 extra pounds of photo gear).

Riverman
31-Aug-2011, 07:14
Well folks. The big day has (nearly) arrived. Tomorrow I head for Anchorage and then Friday into Denali for 8 days.

In the end I decided against hauling any large format on this trip. Instead I'm taking a small Nikon FM plus 20mm and 40mm lenses. Film wise I have 10 rolls of Portra 400 and 5 rolls of Velvia. The Portra might seem an odd choice for landscapes but it's such a versatile film in all light (and weather!). I also have some compact binoculars for spotting wildlife.

Once I'm back from the wilds I'll try to post a trip report and - eventually - a link to some of the photos.

Ivan J. Eberle
3-Sep-2011, 08:28
Sounds like a great choice. +1 to the idea of a set of poles with 1/4-20 posts. I've got a pair of Lekis, they're great.

I also just remembered that in the Denali backcountry, there weren't ANY built or maintained trails. Due to the tundra being fragile and ruined by too many boots in one spot, there's a policy against building trails, so it's all bushwhacking and game trails. And boy oh boy, is that ever a different and more exhausting experience than a 6-mile day over good trail!

Hey, don't forget the CounterAssault bear spray--and some sort of holster to have it instantly accessible (!) mounted to a shoulder strap or the hip belt.