PDA

View Full Version : Widest lens on Wista Field 45DX?

l2oBiN
3-Jul-2011, 11:37
What is the widest focal length that can be practically used On the Wista Field 45dx? By practically I mean it does not require odd configurations like tilting back and front to avoid capturing the front standard focus rail.

Ari
3-Jul-2011, 12:21
If there is a great similarity between a 45DX and a 45RF, I've used a 65mm lens on a recessed board with bag bellows quite easily.

l2oBiN
3-Jul-2011, 23:06
Ari the rf is a metal camera, the 45dx is wooden...But did you get clearance of the front focusing rail without tilts?

Robert Skeoch
4-Jul-2011, 07:24
Sorry I can't add much help on this. I have the Wista brochure right in front of me and they mention everything but the minimal length of the bellows and the range of lenses that will work.

-Rob

Richard Wasserman
4-Jul-2011, 07:38
According to the description on the B&H website, the DX has a minimum 51mm bellows extension and a 65mm lens can be used on a flat board. There is no mention of the absolute shortest lens that can be used.

IanG
4-Jul-2011, 08:07
I use a 65mm f8 Super Angulon a flat board on my Wista 45DX. However the front of the focus bed is in the image unless you use tilts front and rear and front rise to position the film inside the image circle. It's quick and easy to do as your are just keeping the lens parallel and central to the back

Ian

Bob Salomon
5-Jul-2011, 06:38
Sorry I can't add much help on this. I have the Wista brochure right in front of me and they mention everything but the minimal length of the bellows and the range of lenses that will work.

-Rob

51mm is minimum bellows draw. Minimum focal length will depend upon the flange focal length of the lens and which recessed board is used. Linhof makes 6, 12 and 21mm recessed boards that will fit while the wista recessed boards are only in a single depth. So the limiting factor will be which board (using the 21mm Linhof recessed board the minimum draw becomes 30mm so a 35mm Apo Grandagon 4.5 will focus to infinity with that combination but you have to make sure that the rear element claears the gg when going that wide. A 32mm HR Digaron-W would also fit but would probably hit the gg so it could not be used at infinity.

IanG
5-Jul-2011, 07:24
Bob if a lens hits the ground glass focussed at infinity surely it would also hit a digital sensor so be useless except as a macro lens.

Ian

Bob Salomon
5-Jul-2011, 08:04
Bob if a lens hits the ground glass focussed at infinity surely it would also hit a digital sensor so be useless except as a macro lens.

Ian

Correct. That is one of the limiting factors.