PDA

View Full Version : long throw cable release

lenser
30-Jun-2011, 19:18
Okay. I did the obligatory search and came up basically flat so I''m hoping someone will be able to help more directly.

I'm shooting my 240mm wide field Ektar and my ancient and formerly trusty cable release decided to shoot it's last exposure. None of my new ones will work the plunger depth needed for the Ilex Universal #5 shutter.

Of course, Calumet and the others I've looked at list tons of releases but not a word about the length of extension for the plunger.

With all of the ancient shutter shooters out there, does anyone know of a source for current cable releases that will fire the grand old Ilex shutters?

Thanks, everyone!

Tim

Steven Tribe
1-Jul-2011, 02:07
I think you should be looking for:

Prontor Professional Shutter cable -
or Sinar Copal shutter cable.

The first was still able as new last year and the second probably still is.
These are in short supply, with rising prices as a consequence.

tgtaylor
2-Jul-2011, 09:21
Lenser,

I have a small (11") cable release that has a very long throw that I got for free which you can have for nothing. Send me your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

A few years back I lost my cable release - a 20" locking release that was fabric encased with a pliable plastic - while on a night shoot. I went in the camera store and bought the 40" version which I was sorry for but kept it and returned and purchased the 20" version which is my regular CR for small - 4x5 format cameras.

Then in April I purchased an 8x10 camera and last month a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S f6.8 with a Compur 3 shutter that requires a longer throw than that of the 20" CR. However I found that the 40" version has a longer throw. Good thing I found that out while at home and not out in the field with the camera! Now I'm glad that I did make that "stupid' purchase as I need the extra length and throw for the 8x10.

If you have a camera store nearby, they should let you open the package to check out the throw before you purchase it. Take your current one with you, or better, the lens when purchasing.

Anyway, let me know if you want the CR.

Thomas

lenser
2-Jul-2011, 14:42
Thomas, Thanks for the kindness. I'll PM my address shortly.

Of course, the first thing I did was head to the local camera store, a fairly significant one before they abandoned everything traditional to the needs of the digital world, Not a traditional cable release in the house. Frustrating!

Thanks.

Tim

Pete Roody
2-Jul-2011, 14:53
For Ilex 5 shutters you need a slightly longer throw than most typical cables have. Look for prontor or leica cables. They don't all work but but many do. You can usually tell from a picture that shows the lever. A longer lever translates to a longer throw.

MIke Sherck
2-Jul-2011, 19:00
Prontor and Leica cables are said to work, as others have stated; I have also seen it said that air operated cables have a longer throw. I have no experience other than with a Prontor which came with an old B&J lens I had once; it worked fine. I wish I had kept the release when I sold the lens.

When I needed one last year I made my own. Ain't pretty but it works fine. Take a spare cable release and cut through the inner and outer housings; the inner housing might be coiled spring wire so will present the greatest difficulty. I used wire cutters and needle nosed pliers and carefully unwound about 3/8", then cut it off. Pull the remaining housings together and secure with duct tape; voila! Works fine. ;)

Mike

John Kasaian
2-Jul-2011, 19:21
Do a search of this forum for 'long throw cable release' :)

lenser
2-Jul-2011, 19:45
Clever idea, Mike. I may try that if other searches fail.

John, I already did that and got tired of wading through tons of non-related and non-specific information that was in almost every response. Hence the question being asked here.

mandoman7
2-Jul-2011, 20:29
I have a number of lenses using Ilex shutters and got tired of sorting through my cable release collection to find the right one over and over. After some research I found only one that really claimed to be long throw and those were the Gepe Pro with the red casing. I was hesitant about the $29 price but now I like them as they are easy to find with their red coloring, and they are well made.

Bob Salomon
3-Jul-2011, 04:28
I have a number of lenses using Ilex shutters and got tired of sorting through my cable release collection to find the right one over and over. After some research I found only one that really claimed to be long throw and those were the Gepe Pro with the red casing. I was hesitant about the $29 price but now I like them as they are easy to find with their red coloring, and they are well made.

That release is available in black, white, blue or red covers.

wallrat
3-Jul-2011, 11:25
Adorama's cloth covered standard releases have a very long throw and are great all-around releases for about $10. Super flexible. I just measured mine and it's throw is 3/4"

Robert Opheim
6-Sep-2012, 15:15
I am also looking for an extra long cable release throw. I have a Silens shutter (similar to a Luc shutter) it accepts a cable release with a conical end - but I need 1 inch of throw (I am not counting the conical thread area). Gepe Pro releases have around 7/8 on an inch I have been told. I have an old Protor cable release on the way - that looked like it would work in the photograph. I have also heard about adjustable length cable release throws - which cable releases have that feature? I have a number of releases and a newer bulb release - of course none are near 7/8 - 1 inch. I have read on this site every posting I could find. I e-mailed with a member of this site in Italy that uses a Sinar cable on his very large Silens shutter - I don't think I need 2 inches of throw, or that I will find one easily. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2012, 15:42
I am also looking for an extra long cable release throw. I have a Silens shutter (similar to a Luc shutter) it accepts a cable release with a conical end - but I need 1 inch of throw (I am not counting the conical thread area). Gepe Pro releases have around 7/8 on an inch I have been told. I have an old Protor cable release on the way - that looked like it would work in the photograph. I have also heard about adjustable length cable release throws - which cable releases have that feature? I have a number of releases and a newer bulb release - of course none are near 7/8 - 1 inch. I have read on this site every posting I could find. I e-mailed with a member of this site in Italy that uses a Sinar cable on his very large Silens shutter - I don't think I need 2 inches of throw, or that I will find one easily. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Why not take your lens to Glazers and try some? Robi's in Tacoma/Lakewood may have even a larger selection.

Captain_joe6
6-Sep-2012, 19:30
Another option, which would also yield precisely-timed exposures, is Prontor's mechanical timer cable release, which has the facility of an adjustable throw distance. Neat little things.

Robert Opheim
6-Sep-2012, 22:18
I called Glaziers and they only had generic cable releases now nothing close to a long throw one. I went to Kenmore Camera and they didn't have anything long enough in their used or new cables. I also drove up to Camera Clinic in North Seattle - he had a large bin of cables 2 long ones neither had conical ends. There are a couple more shops in the area I can try: one a repair shop Camera Techs in Ballard, and Robi's that you mentioned in Tacoma (they bought out Raineer Labs in Seattle). Anyway I am trying to identify a brand and model number as well. Thank you for your response. Note I am talking about a cable release for a 1940's or before external mounted Silens Shutter (Italian shutter similar to a Luc shutter). Like the Luc shutter these have a shutter speed that can be varied a bit 1/25th to less and a B setting. The Silens can be screw mounted to the lens board and the barrel lens then is screwed to it. Or the Silens shutter can be front mounted to the barrel lens. In this case I have a late 8 1/4 inch dagor in a barrel mount and couldn't afford to have Grimes mount it in a #1 Copal right now.

Bob

rob
6-Sep-2012, 22:40
You may get what you need by extending the plunger. First, cut it, and solder a brass rod with enough length between the two cuts. I did that before.

Zaitz
7-Sep-2012, 01:15
+1 for the Gepe Pro in red. Long throw and better locking mechanism than the Adorama cloth one I have as well. Generic cable releases have broken on me but the Gepe seems much better. Throw on mine is 22mm which is quite long.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272796-REG/Gepe_602112_Plastic_Covered_Cable_Release.html
http://mpex.com/gepe-pro-cable-release-with-zeiss-disk-lock-20-quot.html

Michael_4514
7-Sep-2012, 03:20
A generic cable release that I purchased last month from freestyle will trigger my Ilex #5. I just measure the throw, and it's only 5/8", but it gets the job done.

John Kasaian
7-Sep-2012, 06:14
Mine are now all Gepe Pos, except for one Minette (which does duty on lesser formats)

Robert Opheim
11-Sep-2012, 14:21
I Just bought what looks like a Gepe Pro cable release. It has 7/8 on an inch throw and 1/8 inch in the conical end. This cable just works on the Silens shutter - so I am a happy camper and now I can test the 8 1/4 inch dagor barrel mount that I recently aquired. Thank for all of the good recomendations!!

Bob

toyotadesigner
12-Sep-2012, 11:19
http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/

Robert Opheim
13-Sep-2012, 21:33
Toyotadesigner your link goes to Gebr. Schreck a German manufacter of high quality cables - do you know how long the throw is on their cable releases? They look like excellent cable releases!! Have you used these releases?

Bob

SLVRGLTN
13-Sep-2012, 22:04
I have a few long throw cable releases but depending on how long you need is the big question? I know some are the GEPE's and work great for the Illex 5 shutter as I have used a red one for my 10" Ektar. Long throws are hard to find in my opinion.

toyotadesigner
18-Sep-2012, 02:54
Robert, sorry for the late reply, I wanted to check back with the manufacturer before I would post something wrong.

The throw of the Schreck cable releases is minimum 11 mm / 0.4 inch and maximum 20 mm / ¾ inch. If you need a larger throw, they will do it for you. Just send them your specs. info@cable-releases.com

Yes, I'm using their releases. They are fantastic, never had any problems with them.

Robert Opheim
20-Sep-2012, 17:05
I found a used cable that triggers the Silens shutter. The throw is 7/8" plus the conical end that inserts into the thread on the shutter it equals 25mm or 1 inch.
I just shot three images with in a couple of days ago. I haven't processed the film yet but it should work really good. The barrel lens iris has a lot of blades so that the aperture is really round. I have been interested if a round aperture makes any difference - I have heard it does in the out of focus area. With modern shutters it is hard to find more than seven or eight blades. I have a couple grandagons with 5 blade copal shutters and a 135mm Symmar S in a Prontor shutter with 5 blades. These lenses all have been great lenses.

Bogdan Karasek
29-Sep-2012, 10:13

I have the #5 Ilex shutter and wanted to know if the Gepe 40" cable release will do the trick withe Ilex???

Bob Salomon
29-Sep-2012, 10:26
I called Glaziers and they only had generic cable releases now nothing close to a long throw one. I went to Kenmore Camera and they didn't have anything long enough in their used or new cables. I also drove up to Camera Clinic in North Seattle - he had a large bin of cables 2 long ones neither had conical ends. There are a couple more shops in the area I can try: one a repair shop Camera Techs in Ballard, and Robi's that you mentioned in Tacoma (they bought out Raineer Labs in Seattle). Anyway I am trying to identify a brand and model number as well. Thank you for your response. Note I am talking about a cable release for a 1940's or before external mounted Silens Shutter (Italian shutter similar to a Luc shutter). Like the Luc shutter these have a shutter speed that can be varied a bit 1/25th to less and a B setting. The Silens can be screw mounted to the lens board and the barrel lens then is screwed to it. Or the Silens shutter can be front mounted to the barrel lens. In this case I have a late 8 1/4 inch dagor in a barrel mount and couldn't afford to have Grimes mount it in a #1 Copal right now.

Bob

All of those stores are dealers of ours so all can order any of our long throw releases for you. Gepe-Pro, Kaiser and Linhof. All will work.

Bob Salomon
29-Sep-2012, 10:28

We also have the exact same Gepe Pro release in blue, white or black covering. All four are our PVC covered ones and are available in lengths up to 40".