PDA

View Full Version : Local sources for Whatman filter paper?

DJG
30-Jun-2011, 13:58
Anybody know of typical local places you can buy Whatman filter paper from? I suppose I'll probably wind up buying some online, but was wondering if anybody knew of places that might carry it locally (which types of stores, etc).

I'm afraid of using coffee filters for mixing some chemistry, but I might just try that as well.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Jun-2011, 14:09
Lab supply stores. I am sure there are many in SLC, if that is where you are.

Harold_4074
1-Jul-2011, 11:40
I doubt that there is anything in a coffee filter that will a) come out in any common photographic solution, and b) also have any detectable effect on the results of its use.

The principal virtue of filter papers like Whatman's is their negligible ash content; secondarily, their wet strength. The ash content is important for analytical work, since it is not uncommon to filter out a precipitate, burn away the filter paper and anything else combustible, and weigh the remainder. Wet strength is important in order to keep it all together, but then coffee filters have the same requirement.

The uniformity of the coffee filters may not be quite as good, but if you have no interest in what is trapped by the filter, just stack two of them together.

I can personally vouch for the Safeway store brand when used for filtering Dektol, Kodak Acid Fixer, and used fixer containing zinc dust and silver particles. A plastic kitchen strainer (mine has a handle and a the grid of square holes in the bottom) makes an excellent filter funnel with more useful area than the traditional conical funnel.

If you want to filter a lot of solution, try to find a brewing or winemaking supplier (maybe not so easy in SLC...) and look at their range of funnels and filters.

IanG
1-Jul-2011, 12:12
As an ex chemist I've boxes of Whatman papers but prefer to use coffee filters :D

No idea where I got the coffee filters from I don't drink the stuff but they are easier to use quickly.

Ian

Drew Wiley
1-Jul-2011, 13:04
I've been using LSS (Lab Safety Supply)

DJG
1-Jul-2011, 13:08
Ok, sounds like I'll use coffee filters. I was just worried if they might have something in them to contaminate the chemistry.

My dad's a chemist, maybe I'll see if he happens to have some boxes around too, next time I visit. Thanks for all the responses.

IanG
1-Jul-2011, 16:59
With any new filter, paper or even water softner/de-ionising resin, it's best to recycle the first liquid filtered back through the filter. That's taught as normal lab practice.

Ian

hardwarerus72
3-May-2013, 05:49
Anybody know of typical local places you can buy Whatman filter paper from? I suppose I'll probably wind up buying some online, but was wondering if anybody knew of places that might carry it locally (which types of stores, etc).

I'm afraid of using coffee filters for mixing some chemistry, but I might just try that as well.

Hello, if you still need Whatman filters, I have bulks available. Let me know. - email me joempat@yahoo.com