PDA

View Full Version : #00 to #0 adapter

Hector.Navarro
29-Jun-2011, 13:28
Recently I bought a 65mm f8 Super Angulon that came in a #00 synchro-compur that I want to use on my 4x5 Cambo SC.

I have been keepeing an eye on the auction site, but finding a #00 recessed board is not going to be easy and I'm willing to spend too much for a new one either.

Yesterday I came upon this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Retaining-Ring-copal-00-lens-0-board-rare-/140547134636?pt=US_Lens_Boards&hash=item20b94314ac#ht_2875wt_1141

it's supposed to allow the #00 shutter fit a #0 board.

Has anyone here tried this thing before? Thank you for your replies.

DJG
29-Jun-2011, 14:02
I've never seen one before, but it should work. I've done similar in the past on a barrel lens with a really big retaining ring for a hole that didn't quite match the lens.

Gem Singer
29-Jun-2011, 14:03
It's merely a retaining ring with an extra wide flange.

An easy solution to your problem.

The price is right.

Try it.

Pete Roody
29-Jun-2011, 17:14
SK Grimes has been making this adapter for years. This is a Chinese copy. The SK Grimes version works fine.

Leigh
29-Jun-2011, 18:49
your Compur 00 may not have the same mounting thread as the Copal 00 (the auction item).

I suggest you order one from SK Grimes at www.skgrimes.com

Then you know it will be right.

- Leigh

Gem Singer
29-Jun-2011, 19:17
AFIK, Copal does not make a "00" size shutter.

The retaining ring on eBay is designed to adapt a "00" shutter to fit a lens board that has an opening for a Copal 0 shutter.

Grimes stuff is very expensive.

Ole Tjugen
29-Jun-2011, 19:52
SK Grimes has been making this adapter for years. This is a Chinese copy. The SK Grimes version works fine.

A Chinese copy is likely to work just as well as an American copy of a German original.
Compur-Werke used to make these when they were still making 00 shutters.

rdenney
29-Jun-2011, 20:23
Grimes gets $60 for an adapter that will do this. It works fine. The one on ebay probably does, too, but if it doesn't there is no likely recourse. For under twenty bucks, it might be worth the risk.

The Grimes version is a ring that screws onto a Compur 00 that provides the resulting combination with standard No. 0 threads. It comes with the No. 0 retaining ring.

The Grimes version is black--this one will have to be painted.

Rick "who bought one within the last year" Denney

Gem Singer
29-Jun-2011, 21:16
Rick,

The one on eBay is also black.

Scroll down to see a picture.

rdenney
29-Jun-2011, 21:57
Rick,

The one on eBay is also black.

Scroll down to see a picture.

Sure enough!

Rick "who glanced at the first picture only" Denney

edp
29-Jun-2011, 22:34
I've bought a helical focusing mount from this guy, something a bit more demanding than a wide flange retaining ring, and it's fine. There's nothing wrong with the quality of his goods.

Revolucion Artistico
29-Jun-2011, 23:50
I've bought a helical focusing mount from this guy, something a bit more demanding than a wide flange retaining ring, and it's fine. There's nothing wrong with the quality of his goods.

I bought an adapter board from him and had a good experience, good quality, really fast shipping. I've also spoken with him over email about doing some custom work and he seems like a good guy and his prices are very reasonable.

Ryan

Marko Trebusak
30-Jun-2011, 07:17
I was in the same position few years ago, but I asked a colleague who is skilled with lathe to made me one, as it's very straight thing to do for someone in the know. I think that 60$ for this is a bit on expensive side, so this one might be the answer. I bought a M42 to EOS adapter from this guy, and can recommend him as honest guy.

Marko

IanG
30-Jun-2011, 08:36
Like others I've bought adaptors etc from this ebay seller, they are realistic prices.

However in this case I'd just make a lens board from Aluminium then drill it for a #00 and spray paint it satin black. The Cambo boards I have are just flat metal rounded edges with a couple of cut-aways, nothing difficult. I did the same to fit a 65mm f8 SA to my Wista in the late 80's and I'm still using the board with no problems.

Ian

Gem Singer
30-Jun-2011, 09:34
Marko,

This adapter is only selling for $16.50, including shipping.

At that price, it isn't worth the time and effort to make your own adapter or lens board.

Leigh
30-Jun-2011, 10:44
AFIK, Copal does not make a "00" size shutter.
Coipal DID make a 00 shutter, although it's no longer in the product line.

Google finds lots of references to it, all for older equipment.

- Leigh

Hector.Navarro
1-Jul-2011, 22:19
Thank you all for your comments, given the low price I will try it out and report back when it arrives.