PDA

View Full Version : Photographing From Parking Garages

Richard K.
29-Jun-2011, 06:41
My question concerns the situation in Toronto but may apply to you too. I would like to go into a garage at dusk and photograph some city views from the top floor but I'm pretty sure that I wiill be confronted by security and perhaps understandably so. Is there a way of getting permission?

Jack Dahlgren
29-Jun-2011, 06:58
My question concerns the situation in Toronto but may apply to you too. I would like to go into a garage at dusk and photograph some city views from the top floor but I'm pretty sure that I wiill be confronted by security and perhaps understandably so. Is there a way of getting permission?

I do this quite often. Never had a problem and never was confronted by security. You can either ask first or explain when (and if) security shows up. Asking first is less likely to work.

Richard Wasserman
29-Jun-2011, 07:17
I have done this a few times and most always asked permission first, especially if I am using a tripod. I usually get that permission. The responses tend to be a variation of "Well you know we don't get up there very often, so we don't always really see what's going on". Wink, wink....

BetterSense
29-Jun-2011, 07:26
Shoot first, ask permission later IMO, unless you can't get in by car without access. And even then, you can always walk in. I have a long history with parking garages because I am/used to be into speed skateboarding, and parking garages are the only hills in this part of Texas. In some ways they are better than natural hills...they even have elevators!

Robert Hughes
29-Jun-2011, 07:28
And don't climb up onto roofs without guardrails, like they do in Dallas... or did.

Leigh
29-Jun-2011, 10:17
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. :D

- Leigh

Kirk Gittings
29-Jun-2011, 10:20
Since 911 this has become more problematic. My theory is shoot first-act and like your doing something normal and routine. If asked say there was nothing posted about "no photography".

Ed Richards
29-Jun-2011, 10:59
Fortunately LF cameras look less like guns than 35mm with telephotos. Mostly I have not had problems - in Louisiana, we do not spend much on security. Did get run off fast trying to shoot off a parking garage in a high end mall in West Palm Beach. I think they were concerned about paparazzi.

Kirk Gittings
29-Jun-2011, 11:00
Oddly I have had far more problems like this with a VC than with a DSLR.

Frank Petronio
29-Jun-2011, 11:07
Usually with a guard you can explain you're doing it for work, present yourself as a good citizen out to make a living, don't be superior -- show them respect and dignity -- and 99% of the time you'll be fine. It's not like you're hurting anything or causing a delay, and you are paying for the parking....

Rooftops can be excellent in some cities, in good light, you can get great long lens building details or even spy on people.

I ask for official permission less and less often because it is so easy for them to say no for insurance reasons or simply because it is easier... instead I just act like I know what I'm doing and work quickly and smoothly and get in, get out.

See ya 6am Sunday morning at the quarry ;-p

Deane Johnson
29-Jun-2011, 11:25
Wear a hard hat and when a guard shows up start looking at cracks and photographing them. Tell him to walk lightly on this section, it may no longer hold the weight of both of us.

BrianShaw
29-Jun-2011, 11:31
Wear a hard hat ...

... and that's no joke... it really works!

Steve Smith
29-Jun-2011, 11:43
... and that's no joke... it really works!

It does. And a high visibility jacket and a yellow surveyor's tripod will make you completely invisible.

Steve.

Ed Richards
29-Jun-2011, 12:04
Great tip! I have the vest, but I lost my hat decades ago. I guess they are not made of tin anymore. Do the plastic ones block the voices?

Ed

Brian C. Miller
29-Jun-2011, 12:24
You can get aluminum hard hats (http://www.tasco-safety.com/hhats/aluminum-metal-hard-hats.html), but you'll still need the Faraday cage suit (http://euclidgarment.com/KVGARD/KVGard.html).

BrianShaw
29-Jun-2011, 13:54
Forget the metal hard hat. Why spend a lot of money. Cheap plastic ones will do. Yellow is the preferred color.

Yesterday as I drove home on the Los Angeles freeeway I saw two yellow hardhats in the center divider. If you dare stop on the freeway they won't cost you a cent!

Sirius Glass
29-Jun-2011, 15:15
It does. And a high visibility jacket and a yellow surveyor's tripod will make you completely invisible.

Steve.

Can I make a hat out of aluminum foil instead? :confused:

Jehu
29-Jun-2011, 15:21

Steve.

I do that because I'm a surveyor. Sometimes I carry a Geiger counter too.

Sirius Glass
29-Jun-2011, 15:30
Sometimes I carry a Geiger counter too.

Now THAT would scare the crap out of them! :D

Sean Galbraith
30-Jun-2011, 06:33
Pay to park your car there and then have at it, or just walk in and wait for someone to tell you otherwise.

Bob McCarthy
30-Jun-2011, 06:55
Around here, if you describe yourself as a professional, someone immediately has their hand out. And a trip to some office to pay a fee of some sort. If there is a guard, I often just say "its a beautiful evening, I just wanted to go on top to take in the sights".

More often than not, he will wave me by w/o fee and never bother me. Worse case I have to pull a parking ticket.

Some garages are manned at exit only. there just go in and hope no one bother you.

Kinda asking, but not going into any detail.

bob

Noah A
30-Jun-2011, 08:03
I've done it a few times with no problems. I tend to park in the lot, I don't know if it makes any real legal difference but I'm not really trespassing if I paid to park there, and trespassing is one offense an over zealous security guard could try to accuse you of if there are no signs prohibiting photography.

If there were signs saying no photography (or even something more vague like no loitering), then I would probably ask first. But as others have said, if photography isn't prohibited and if you're paying to use the garage, you'll probably be ok.

Also, and I think this goes without saying, but you'll likely have an easier time if you don't block any entrances or exits (vehicle or pedestrian), work quickly before you can attract attention, don't hang over the wall or ledge, and don't drop anything onto someone's head below.

Also, if a civilian comes along to chat you up, be polite and explain what you're doing. Otherwise they may rat you out to security on their way out!

Garages can make great shooting spots and are easier than roofs, since roofs almost always involve asking for permission.

lenser
30-Jun-2011, 08:05
I think I would be more alert to foot traffic than concerned about getting in a hassle with guards or whatever. The one and only experience I had with theft of equipment took place years ago in St. Louis in a high rise downtown garage. The thieves were prepared as they broke out a window lock system with some kind of heavy pry. If they had been there and I had been shooting with expensive gear, I wonder if that same pry bar might have been used on me. Watch your back.

Two23
1-Jul-2011, 20:28

I carry a hard hat and reflective vest with me for when I need some camo. My definition of camo is clothing that makes you blend in with your surroundings.

Kent in SD

Michael E
2-Jul-2011, 03:22
I would simply go ahead and set up the camera. In the unlikely event that a guard comes up and tells me I can't photograph here, I simply say "sorry" and pack my stuff. No hard feelings - it's private property after all. If I try camo, the guard will feel like I'm trying to play tricks on him and react accordingly. Why the hassle? I want to think about the shot and not about guards who might or might not appear.

Michael

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2011, 17:06
Wear a white hard-hat and orange traffic vest. Maybe put out a couple of orange cones. Look like you already HAVE permission. If you drive a white pick-up it completes the contractor look.