PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 for a beginner

Amatieris
28-Jun-2011, 15:36
Hi, I am new to large format photography. I would love to get myself an 8x10" camera. I can not afford a new camera, so I am considering my options in used market. As I also love collecting photography gear I have looked at the old plate cameras. I understand they are very difficult to adapt to the modern film sizes. I have an idea and would like to know if it would work.
I buy a good whole plate camera and carefully take off the rear board. Get an 8x10 film holder and make a new wooden rear board that could be installed instead of the original. I would also need to get new bellows, I guess. If and when I want to change my camera, I can always return it to its original state.
Has anyone done it? would it be easier and cheaper than just building the 8x10 from scratch (I doubt I could build the whole thing)? It would be used mainly for portraits and occasional landscape.
Regards
Ed

Jim Galli
28-Jun-2011, 20:30
Ed, Consider the Kodak 2D 8X10. A very forgiving and stable old camera that has enough room to install a 6 1/2" square Packard shutter inside the camera. The 6X6" lens boards are ample for just about any old dinosaur of a lens you can drag home, and the Packard is inside waiting. 30" bellows lends itself to portraiture with old fast glass. About 80% of the images on my web pages are made with one of these.

dsphotog
28-Jun-2011, 21:25
Or, you might like an 8x10 Ansco.
They were designed with a built-in sliding extending rail, it adds a little weight, but it can't get lost.

Zaitz
28-Jun-2011, 22:08
I gotta say I love my Calumet C1 and I didn't find it expensive. Fits in my backpack too!

Amatieris
29-Jun-2011, 01:26
It seems that I have been a little bit impatient and there are a few old cameras that take 8x10 holders! :) I have been following ebay sales for a week nearly. So far almost no 8x10 in UK, but lots of old British cameras. I will pay closer attention to the Kodak, Ansco and Calumet C1 - they are on my search list. Thank you!

csant
29-Jun-2011, 01:54
You might also want to check out the For Sale section on this board - but you'll have to wait 30 days before getting access… With proper patience, there are many options for you on the web :)

dsphotog
29-Jun-2011, 01:57
Welcome to the forum!
It's likely better to test the waters with 4x5 instead of 8x10, much less investment, and more readily available.
While learning the basics, each sheet of film will cost about 25% of 8x10, so you can shoot more!

Do some research, patience will be rewarded.

toolbox
29-Jun-2011, 05:50
Welcome to the forum!
It's likely better to test the waters with 4x5 instead of 8x10, much less investment, and more readily available.
While learning the basics, each sheet of film will cost about 25% of 8x10, so you can shoot more!

Do some research, patience will be rewarded.

I was thinking the same thing...4x5 is a lot easier to manage from a logistical standpoint.

aduncanson
29-Jun-2011, 09:59
I don't know that I have ever seen one, but if whole plate cameras are common and inexpensive in your corner of the world, then why not use whole plate film and film holders? Whole plate has vocal adherents who make good arguments for it. B&W film is available in whole plate (if not readily so) and is cheaper than 8x10.

Do you think you will develop your own? shoot B&W or color? enlarge, scan or contact print? A B&W contact print from a whole plate negative can be a pretty satisfying accomplishment. Enlarging one is likely to require an 8x10 enlarger though.

eddie
29-Jun-2011, 10:06
Might as well go with 810. Most find themselves there after 45 anyway.

Whole plate film is a pain to get compared to 810. Stick with 810. IMO

Amatieris
29-Jun-2011, 10:31
Thank you for suggestions! I have considered the 4x5 and 5x7, but the need for the enlarger puts me off a bit. I could of course get a half decent scanner. On the other hand whole plate and 8x10 would be big enough contact-printed. I think I will try paper instead of film till I learn. I will check the availability of whole plate film - it would be interesting to use the old cameras. The only drawback - I will not be able to travel far from the car (need to buy one as well - maybe a classic too! :)).
Anyway, I plan to get a low cost 4x5 monorail one day, but that is not so urgent.