PDA

View Full Version : Yanke Ultra Bright Fresnel+Ground Glass?

gmed
27-Jun-2011, 23:57
Would this fix my Chamonix 4x5 issue? Is this a Maxwell knock-off or this is GG and fresnel lens bonded together?

Do I really need the Fresnel lens?

excuse the questions, but Im really new to LF.

akfreak
28-Jun-2011, 00:25
I just got that exact one for an 8x10

timparkin
28-Jun-2011, 02:36
I just got that exact one for an 8x10

Opinions? Very interested...

Asher Kelman
28-Jun-2011, 03:28
Would this fix my Chamonix 4x5 issue? Is this a Maxwell knock-off or this is GG and fresnel lens bonded together?

Do I really need the Fresnel lens?

excuse the questions, but Im really new to LF.

What is the issue? The Chamonix ground glass it very good anyway?

Asher

IanG
28-Jun-2011, 04:47
What is the issue? The Chamonix ground glass it very good anyway?

Asher

The Camonix glass I've seen in use is dismal, but then the fresnel had been removed because the camera wasn't sharp with it installed. Chanonix made a mistake with the register as manypeople discovered.

A fresnel makes a huge difference to overall brightness, roughly 3 stops.

Ian

Ari
28-Jun-2011, 04:53
Opinions? Very interested...

Aye, me too.

Asher Kelman
28-Jun-2011, 04:59
The Camonix glass I've seen in use is dismal, but then the fresnel had been removed because the camera wasn't sharp with it installed. Chanonix made a mistake with the register as manypeople discovered.

A fresnel makes a huge difference to overall brightness, roughly 3 stops.

Ian

Ian,

My 8x10 has a great image on the GG. I didn't realize it could be better! Maybe they do different things for the 4x5. Let's ask Hugo!

Asher

gmed
28-Jun-2011, 09:07
the issue is only found on 4x5
it wa later fixed, but the early 4x5 models, the fresnel was between the gg and the lens, hence causing focus shift.

dsim
28-Jun-2011, 09:59

Ian

Hmmm..... The stock Chamonix 8x10 screen doesn't have a fresnel and is bright. Very easy to focus.

Ian,

My 8x10 has a great image on the GG. I didn't realize it could be better! Maybe they do different things for the 4x5. Let's ask Hugo!

Asher

Asher, I have the Maxwell Hi-Lux Ultra Bright screen for my 8x10 and it's certainly worth the investment. It's brighter yes, but the big difference is at the corners. :) It's relatively easy to focus the camera without a darkcloth.

Tony Evans
28-Jun-2011, 10:22
gmed,
I bought one (China) for my Shin-Hao 45A. I estimate it is at least 2 stops brighter than the Shin-Hao GG. Is all one piece

IanG
28-Jun-2011, 10:31
Hmmm..... The stock Chamonix 8x10 screen doesn't have a fresnel and is bright. Very easy to focus.

I've found a plain screen on a 10x8 camera much easier to use than a plain screen on a 5x4. I make my own screens which are just as bright as any commercially available but prefer to add a fresnel particularly for cameras I use hand-held.

We mustn't forget that the Focal length of the lens makes a big difference, so a 65mm f8 lens on a 5x4 is considerably harder to focus than a 151mm f16 lens on a 10x8 camera.

About 3 years ago I made some comparisons of a Wista 64DX with it's super screen (combined screen & fresnel) and a Crown Graphic with a plain scree, I measured the brightness centre and about an inch from the side, then I fitted a fresnel and measured again. The Wista was the brightest, the Crown Graphic with fresnel was about a stop less bright the difference between the Wista and a plain screen was over 3 stops. Of course the centre is much the same regardless but it's the overall brightness that matters.

Asher, I have the Maxwell Hi-Lux Ultra Bright screen for my 8x10 and it's certainly worth the investment. It's brighter yes, but the big difference is at the corners. :) It's relatively easy to focus the camera without a darkcloth.

One of my 10x8 Agfa Ansco's came with a new in the box unused Beattie screen and like the Maxwell screen I can often work without a darkcloth, however a good plain screen isn't too bad to use either so I can understand Asher's comments.

Ian

akfreak
6-Jul-2011, 00:13
I got mine because it was $30 shipped. I got it as a customer return. I asked the seller on Ebay if he had any returns he would let go for a deal.

He said Yes, he just had a customer return one becuse it has a tiny scratch on the corner of the GG. It still has the protective plastic sheld on the Fresnel and the GG.

You have to sandwich them together. The Fresnel ridges face in, then you put the protective non scratch glass over that (very thin) and you have a Yanke Ultra Bright Fresnel + Ground Glass 8x10 Camera from ecbuyonline2008 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Yanke-Ultra-Bright-Fresnel-Ground-Glass-8x10-Camera-/270726292100?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3f088b6284#ht_5430wt_905)

I paid $30 shipped for an item that is $129 regularly. He said people are very picky so he doesn't try to sell the returns. I sent him a message asking for blems. I am on a budget. I was going to make my own with valve grinding compound on a 1/16" thick window pane glass from the art store. I may still have to do that yet. Time will tell.

For $129 you really dont seem to get much. I guess it's better than wax paper!

Noah B
12-Sep-2011, 12:11
So to install the yanke fresnel you have to put the fresnel lens in first, then the plastic GG?

Ari
12-Sep-2011, 12:13
So to install the yanke fresnel you have to put the fresnel lens in first, then the plastic GG?

Correct; the plastic is a GG/fresnel protector.

wiggywag
2-Dec-2011, 13:22
And how did you find the quality of the Yanke screen (you who have it)? Is it nice?

Ari
2-Dec-2011, 17:56
And how did you find the quality of the Yanke screen (you who have it)? Is it nice?

Yes, it's very good. It's the kind where if you're too far off to the side, the screen goes dark, but in front it's very bright and contrasty, and easy to focus.

feppe
6-Dec-2011, 11:02
I just installed a new Yanke gg on my Gowlandflex, and it exceeded my expectations. Exact dimensions as ordered, and they even made custom hairlines on it to match the original (which I broke) as per my instructions at no extra cost.

The protective plastic cover is sandwiched between two peel-away plastic layers for transit - first I thought the cover is awful but it was just the peel-away plastic :)

There are no instructions on which way to install the GG and the cover, but akfreak explained it above (thanks!).

Excellent packaging and fast dispatch even with the custom order.

fasol
30-Dec-2011, 23:44
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between 0.85 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/270726083888) and 1.80 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/270726083902) mm Yankee fresnel?
Does it depend of lens focal lenght or something?
Thanks.

gmed
10-Jan-2012, 01:17
Im a little confused. I contacted the seller on ebay, asking about the possibility of focus shift, and he did say that the GG and Fresnel combo is very thin, and the focus shift is only 0.03mm, and it can be disregarded. Now if the Fresnel is behind the GG (between the photographer and GG), it shouldn't have a focus shift. Im not sure why he says that there will be a little.

"The focus shift can be disregard, it only around 0.03mm.
Yes, the Fresnel lens is sits between the photographer and the GG, and there is a scratch resistant glass(Acrylic) place behind the Fresnel lens. The size is 101x126mm without frame line, a bit less than the Chamonix which is 101.5x127mm."

can anyone make sense of this?