PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with this glass?

vinny
27-Jun-2011, 19:27
Came with my 10x10 Fotar enlarger. Slight texture on one side so I believe it's anti-newton glass. Measures 10x10 but the corners are clipped so far that an entire 8x10 neg can't be projected! They came from a lab that specialized in automotive work before photoshop came along. WTF?
I have a bunch of these in 4x5 size as well.

evan clarke
28-Jun-2011, 04:53
Came with my 10x10 Fotar enlarger. Slight texture on one side so I believe it's anti-newton glass. Measures 10x10 but the corners are clipped so far that an entire 8x10 neg can't be projected! They came from a lab that specialized in automotive work before photoshop came along. WTF?
I have a bunch of these in 4x5 size as well.

That's what it looks like. FWIW, the AN glass I have bought appears to be the same as anti glare framing glass and that's what I use for AN. It was great to meet you at Photostock and put a person with the name..Evan Clarke

Ari
28-Jun-2011, 05:11
Might be a diffuser for the light source, my Eastman 5x7 had one.
Or it could be heat-absorbing glass, if it came from just below the light source.

vinny
28-Jun-2011, 19:11
I know it's not a diffuser but I don't understand why they'd clip the corners so far in!
Is it because car shooters never used the full frame?

Jim Noel
29-Jun-2011, 09:04
It has to be AN glass. Heat absorbing glass is thicker and totally clear and placed immediately under the light source. The AN glass is used with the texture in contact with the negative.

ic-racer
29-Jun-2011, 21:00
Pin registration system that uses holes in the film itself?

vinny
30-Jun-2011, 13:31
Pin registration system that uses holes in the film itself?

The neg carrier does have registration pins but i couldn't pullmit frommthe machine since it is currently stored in a giant plywood box. Still doesn't explain why the corners are clipped so far in. Makes me angry.