PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Vario or Zoom on Chamonix 4x5?

Jeff Bannow
27-Jun-2011, 05:32
Anyone tried this? Does it fit without removing the ground glass?

Ari
27-Jun-2011, 05:40
I've tried neither the camera nor the holder, but a recent post I read stated that the Sinar holder is meant to slip under the ground glass, no Graflok.

Phil Hudson
27-Jun-2011, 05:50
IIRC one version of this back (either original Vario or Zoom 2) can be used both as a slip-in type under the ground glass AND with Graflok sliders as it has grooves machined in the sides.

It is worth getting first hand commentary on this because the design of the 5x4 back on some makes of camera prevents the holder from seating properly (the lip of the ground glass frame fouls the Sinar housing meaning that it does not slot in far enough for a light tight seal).

If you are not using it as a slip-in holder (ie using Graflok sliders) this may not be an issue but again check which model has the facility for Graflok.

Jeff Bannow
27-Jun-2011, 05:51
Thanks everyone. My intention is to use it as a slip-in. I'm tired of removing the ground glass for every shot.

evan clarke
27-Jun-2011, 07:35
Thanks everyone. My intention is to use it as a slip-in. I'm tired of removing the ground glass for every shot.

Too bad, Zhu had his in his bag this weekend and you could have seen it...Evan Clarke

Jeff Bannow
27-Jun-2011, 07:36
Too bad, Zhu had his in his bag this weekend and you could have seen it...Evan Clarke

Drat! Timing is everything, eh?

Jeff Bannow
29-Jun-2011, 09:33
Anyone know the answer to this?

Adamphotoman
14-Jul-2011, 20:42
I have a Sinar Zoom Back.
It is machined for Graflock.
It is also thin enough to fit most 4X5 cameras.
It should fit under the gg but because there is a hinged door
it may not be able to be inserted fully if the hinge hits the 4x5 stop.
But it may indeed fit perfectly.
I would bet that it will fit.
It did give me trouble on a 4X5 Globuscope. I machined out a groove
on the camera so that it would seat properly.
I have a Zoomback for sale, but no takers.
Grant

joshdaskew
17-Jul-2011, 01:08
Hi, I have a Sinar Zoom 2 and the Chamonix 45N-1 and it does fit.. What doesn't fit though is the markings for the roll film back that come on the Chamonix GG. Apparently the Sinar placement is different to all other roll film holders, someone else may be able to confirm this.. Annoying to say the least..

Adamphotoman
17-Jul-2011, 20:52
So there is a registration issue? Sinar made an adjustable masking frame. could this be repositioned in register? Is the Sinar hinge shoving the back over? Meaning it won't seat far enough into the back. Is this the problem?
G

Jeff Bannow
18-Jul-2011, 05:59
Interesting - so the markings are too high or too low?

Adamphotoman
18-Jul-2011, 12:20
I use a Betterlight scanning back on a number of 4X5 cameras. The format is smaller than 4X5. Sinar viewing area is 90 X 115 mm (inside their fresnel frame); where as the Betterlight is 72 X 96 mm. Betterlight supplied black reposition-able masks. It was a bit of a song and dance to get it in the right spot but once it was positioned you were rewarded by close to exact framing.
The reposition-able inside cutouts 72 X 96 mm bits could be cut up and used to mask the image. How I positioned the mask on an MP4 copy camera was to use a piece of photographic paper in the Zoomback and make an image. I could then quickly process and dry the Ilford multigrade RC paper and position my mask on the ground glass to match what the Zoom back saw. I have a couple of inserts that you could have. Betterlight has stacks of these too. I got mine to make a water house stop...
Or you could find a yellow piece of see through plastic and cut out the appropriate size. Come to think about it. Sinar also supplied a yellow mask with the back, I just found mine still installed on the MP4.
By the way I have the Zoom Back 2 and both masks if any one is interested.
Hope this helps.
G