PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for tripod heads

Manne Granberg
27-Jun-2011, 01:41
Hello!

I bought a Sinar pan/tilt head and before doing something that could induce having to redo it, I thought I'd ask to see if anybody with more experience would recommend some specific lubricant?

Leigh
27-Jun-2011, 02:16
What are you planning to lubricate?

Tripod heads rely on friction to keep the camera in position.

- Leigh

Manne Granberg
27-Jun-2011, 02:21
The moving parts that don't produce any friction, at least not any functionally required friction. I'll start with the tilt screw as that seems to produce most of the squeaking.

philipmorg
28-Jun-2011, 09:01
If you're going to lubricate something like your Sinar Pan-Tilt head, clean the area with spray electronics cleaner or acetone and use the smallest possible amount of molybdenum disulfide grease. This is the lubricant I use and recommend for servicing Sinar Normas and other metal monorail cameras, and I believe it would work well in this application.

Which axis are you lubricating? If it's the pan axis, then go ahead. If it's the tilt axis, I believe you may want to check the condition of the plastic disks that are used along the tilt axis. I believe these are not lubricated at all. Last I heard, replacements for these disks can be purchased from here: http://www.bronimaging.com/customerservice.php

--Philip.

Struan Gray
29-Jun-2011, 03:21
I disassembled my squeaky Norma head completely, cleaned everything with a good degreaser (petrol bath, followed by IPA/methanol) and then used a bare minimum of lubricant on the main screw thread. Everything else I left clean and dry. The head works like a charm.

Sinar used to include a pot of molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) grease with the Norma cameras. I used a tiny smear of a MoS2 grease which is normally used on the threads of vacuum systems (stainless steel bolts which are repeatedly baked at 200 °C or more). It's what I had lying about at the lab. Not ideal as ingesting MoS2 isn't a good idea, which includes licking your fingers or touching your face after handling it the bolts. Bike shops have cleaner, non toxic graphite-based greases and dust-on powders which would be better.