PDA

View Full Version : Which shutter for Apo-Skopar 9/300mm?

cyberjunkie
25-Jun-2011, 07:38
I found a nice Voigtlander Apo-Skopar f/9 300mm.
It comes in a nice wooden case, and complete with original waterhouse stops.
I guess it's post war, but i am not sure if it's coated (i can't see from the picture); the owner knows almost nothing about cameras/lenses, and i'd to drive too many Km. to have a look on my own. So if i want the lens i must have it shipped, so i am asking the more experienced members for some advice.
First i would like to know if it goes into some standard shutter (i have No.1, No.3 and No.2 II/5 at hand).
Second, from the first picture i am posting it looks to be coated, what do you think?
Last question, what could be the average market value of this lens?

I take the opportunity for the Nth question about an all-time forum favorite: "which shutter does it fit?"
Meyer Weitwinkel Aristostigmat 120mm (post-war, coated, with red "V"), in barrel. I know that they were also made in shutter. Does they have the same threads? If yes, which shutter should fit?
I already have a 165mm in brass finish, uncoated. Someday i'll try the cells in a few pre-war european shutters i have at home. It would be very nice to have it in shutter: WW Aristostigmats seem to be somewhat underrated, while they should be at least as good as a Wolly Ext. WA of the same vintage (that get a lot of thumb-up's in this forum!).

have fun

CJ

Dan Fromm
25-Jun-2011, 08:43
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/voigtlander_2.html

Looks coated, should be coated. Looks separated, all of my Apo Skopars are separated. Same problem as Rodenstock lenses of that era.

Value? No idea, they're uncommon but uncommon doesn't mean "commands a high price."

If it is like the equivalent lens from Boyer, the 300/10 Apo Saphir, it may not conform to the documentation. You can check what it fits after you have it.

Tim Deming
25-Jun-2011, 09:53
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/voigtlander_2.html

Looks coated, should be coated. Looks separated, all of my Apo Skopars are separated.

True. Hard to fine 'em without separation, but possible :rolleyes:

Wont likely fit into a standard shutter. Voigtlander made Apo-Skopars in very different mounts for barrel and shutter versions --they will not swap with each other. They also used very oversized shutters for Apo-Skopars, dont know why. The shutter version of the 300cm was probably in a Compound III or IV. I have a 210cm Apo-Skopar that's in a later Compur-3 (factory mount)!

cheers

Tim

Ole Tjugen
25-Jun-2011, 14:02
To answer the other question, the 120mm WW-Aristostigmat is most likely to fit in a #1 shutter. Mine does, but it's an oddball being an Angulon clone (and a 121mm, too), and not a double-Gauss.

Hugo Zhang
25-Jun-2011, 16:35
I have the same lens in a Compound shutter and the lens has no separation.

Arne Croell
26-Jun-2011, 14:02
All Apo-Skopars are coated, the lens line was introduced in 1954 (note: this is true for APO-Skopars, not plain Skopars!).

Yes, the separation you see is common, for all focal lengths of the Apo-Skopar, although unseparated examples do certainly exist. The amount of separation on the edge that you see should not really affect performance, but lowers the resale price.

The 150mm, 210mm, 300mm, and 450mm Apo-Skopars were all sold both in barrel and in shutter. However, with the exception of the 150mm, the lens cells of the barrel and shutter versions are not compatible. The cells of that barrel 300 will not fit in a shutter without machined adapters. The cheapest solution would be front mounting the whole lens onto a shutter.

Arne Croell
26-Jun-2011, 14:26
Addendum: As an example, I just measured the thread on the back cell of my 30cm barrel Apo-Skopar, it is M48. That does not fit with any current (Copal) or older (Compound) shutter thread size. The Compur 2 is close, but depending on the version is either a tad too small or too big.