PDA

View Full Version : A new ULF Camera?

jb7
22-Jun-2011, 14:12
With my name on it? A camera called Burns? Specifically, a Burns 1117 ?

I've been busy designing some new cameras, and I'm just about to build a prototype, and begin testing. There are a couple of features that distinguish these from other cameras, most notably, the film holder, which will be a re-usable packet. While the camera itself might not be the lightest ULF Camera ever built (I've decided that it should take a 9" lens board, and that it should be able to take some quite large lenses) it should be the lightest ULF System available- the system being the camera, film holders, and support. It should be possible to go into the field with many more loaded holders than can be carried now.

One other consequence of this packet loading system will be the ability to accommodate multiple formats, without the need for additional adapter backs.
The first camera, the prototype, will take 11x14 and 7x17. (and 8x10, since I want to be able to shoot a little colour)

The camera will be convertible, in that, the back and the bellows should be removable, and can then be rotated through 90º to allow for portrait or landscape shooting. That the rear standard does not need to be square, to accommodate a convertible back, means that the overall size of the back should be quite similar in area to a standard 11x14 back. But longer.

There will be at least one other ULF camera, which will be built to take 14x17, 12x20, and 8x20. And anything else up to those sizes. A Burns 1420. (The numbering convention, the short side of the square format, the long side of the long format- but you spotted that already... And the name? well, that would appear to be another convention, with some notable exceptions.) Of course, a 1620 would work too...

I've invested quite a bit of time in the design of this system- and I've been reluctant to begin building until I had everything ready to go.
Unfortunately, time is running out rapidly, since I have a self imposed deadline coming up in just over a month. If I don't hit that target, the prototype, and testing will be put back by several months. Unfortunately. There could be some embarrassment here soon...

This camera will be a professional model- I know the photographers who belong to this community are not afraid to pull their punches when it comes to product reviews- and this camera will have to be able to stand with the best cameras available- both currently available models, and those from way back. The quest for a light weight system will inevitably lead to compromises- it might be marginally slower to load, for example, compared to a standard film holder- and for some, that will be a deal breaker. For others, the ability to carry more film might make it worthwhile.

It's my job to make it work- efficiently, reliably, satisfyingly- and also to make it a desirable object, so that everyone will be falling over themselves to snap up the few that will be produced… Materials will be a combination of timber, Aluminium, and composite materials, and it will be made using a mixture of hand crafting, and computer controlled construction.

Pricing is tricky, but a system should be comparable in price to a similar sized new camera available today. Since film holders will only fit this camera, a camera will have to be sold with the holders.The film holders should be cheaper than currently available used film holders of the same size.

I really have no choice, I've come this far, I have to make it, and test it. If there is any demand, I'll batch produce them. So watch this space- although from now on, I won't be around here that much to answer questions. In about a month's time, I should be able to tell whether I'll be hitting my deadline- Or not...

So the question is- since a camera like this doesn't currently exist, might there be demand for it? Without building it, I'll never know if, as promised, they will come…
Thanks for reading. I would appreciate your thoughts on this, although I can't get involved too much in the conversation myself right now, there's too much work to do…

Hopefully, this statement of intent won't come back to bite me, but the project is quite ambitious...

joseph

George E. Sheils
22-Jun-2011, 15:39
Ah here, ...pictures or GTFO !

:D :D :D

No seriously folks,

I know Joseph personally.

I can tell you that he is one determined (and skilful) individual and even though the prototype has not yet been constructed I have no doubt that his new Ultra LF cameras will be a joy to use as well as a joy to behold.

Watch this space.

Oren Grad
22-Jun-2011, 15:47
There are a couple of features that distinguish these from other cameras, most notably, the film holder, which will be a re-usable packet. While the camera itself might not be the lightest ULF Camera ever built (I've decided that it should take a 9" lens board, and that it should be able to take some quite large lenses) it should be the lightest ULF System available- the system being the camera, film holders, and support. It should be possible to go into the field with many more loaded holders than can be carried now.

One other consequence of this packet loading system will be the ability to accommodate multiple formats, without the need for additional adapter backs.

Could these packets be adaptable to other cameras, if not to existing spring backs then by way of replacement backs for existing cameras?

jeroldharter
22-Jun-2011, 16:15
Could these packets be adaptable to other cameras, if not to existing spring backs then by way of replacement backs for existing cameras?

If so, you might make more money selling those than cameras. Sort of like an 8x10 Graflex back. That would be something.

Asher Kelman
22-Jun-2011, 16:18
The camera will be convertible, in that, the back and the bellows should be removable, and can then be rotated through 90º to allow for portrait or landscape shooting. That the rear standard does not need to be square, to accommodate a convertible back, means that the overall size of the back should be quite similar in area to a standard 11x14 back. But longer.....

Joseph,

Large format photography seems to becoming more attractive as the myriads of enthusiasts want to go beyond the vision of the elves from Japan and Germany and their digital automatic sameness. So this is a brave step for you and a commendable project. Having versatility is great as long as it can be combined with a minimization of the number of steps to make changes. Ideally, one could have one back, the largest rectangular supported bellows and a set of masks with a surrounding baffle that pops up for each smaller size. Then the packets would all go into the one back. If one could solve that, then the camera would be very popular as all one would need to schlepp as extras would be the packets. Of course, this means much more work for the design of the back.

From the way you describe your system, for rotating the back, if you rotate the bellows too, then the front standard would need to be elevated going from landscape to portrait position. That means 3 things to do! Not so convenient! If, however, the bellows are square with supports, it could be one step. The narrow side of the elongated back can have a in-going black baffle and so only the back has to be rotated. The same bellows could be used with ultrawide angle lenses.

Also consider what extension you would have. For this much versatility you might need 700 mm of extension minimum and add-on units to extend the front with longer lenses or magnifications. Chamonix cameras are well designed in this respect. To change from portrait to landscape one simply removes and replaces the back at 90 degrees. No need to rotate the bellows.

Asher

johnielvis
22-Jun-2011, 18:12
I"d just make holders myself---cameras are out there and people like to build their own--it's the HOLDERS that are the problem pieces--tricky---if you got a holder design that will fit standard cameras and be much lighter, etc..hell yeah I'd be interested...

but--you need distribution too--you're in irish land, right? you need united states distribution...shipping...delays...overseas...

Tri Tran
22-Jun-2011, 20:37
Last year, Joseph contacted me for some ideas for his ULF camera project . We exchanged several emails back and forth and played phone tag but never get to actually talk to each other to discuss in detail about it. I'm glad that Joseph is still pursuing the project and looking forward to a new line ULF camera . Good luck Joseph.

jb7
22-Jun-2011, 23:05
Thanks for the comments, and encouragement- particularly George and TT- hopefully get to talk soon-

Sorry, but will have to limit my time on this forum- which could be like a full time job, if you let it- so individual replies might be difficult. But, to those who would like a packet holder system for their existing cameras- well, it might be possible, but there are too many different formats, and too many different holders- above 11x14, a standard doesn't exist. The packets I'm working on now, being for multiple formats, would not easily translate into existing holders.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the idea for these cameras sprang out of a desire to shoot two different formats- 14x17 and 12x20, but there didn't seem to be a single camera that would shoot both, and a camera for each just seemed a bit too extravagant.

The prototype I'm working on now, the 7x17/11x14, is just a handy sized travel variant...

This is perhaps a little early to be discussing things- as George mentioned, no photographs of the camera yet. So it's impossible to go over the design strategies without dealing in specifics, and I'm afraid I can't do that here. I do appreciate all your points, however some of them may not be absolutely relevant to the thing I'm making, and that's my fault for not being able to describe it properly, right now. The camera is ready to build, so I've just got to build it. Soon... However, a square back is not on the cards, unfortunately-

Regarding its location, well that's not a big problem- people travel here for Golf and Fishing, among other things, so maybe they can come over for photography, and bring a camera home with them. I might even give a discount for pickup in person, and it could be an excuse to get out and shoot a few photographs too...

Considering the obstacles involved in the design and construction and testing and proving of the camera, however, I don't think that packaging it up, and taking it to the post office is going to be very difficult. Not something to give up over, although it's nice to have my first complaint of delays registered already...

Thanks again-

j

andreios
22-Jun-2011, 23:42
Now that would be nice - an ULF camera and within the EU therefore without import fees! :) I'm staying tuned and waiting for further developement :) Of course I could build one myself perhaps, but lack of skills, tools and experiences could make it really painful and looooong...

Best luck, Joseph!

Asher Kelman
22-Jun-2011, 23:59
The prototype I'm working on now, the 7x17/11x14, is just a handy sized travel variant...

Great sizes.

However, a square back is not on the cards, unfortunately-

No problem. You are beyond that. 7x17 and 11x14 would be great options. Just make the camera and good luck! for sure you will have eager customers if you can deliver on your great concept! :)

Asher