PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Super D 4x5?

Hugo Zhang
22-Jun-2011, 08:47
Hi Graflex users,

I am looking to get a Super D to use with a Pentac 8" f/2.9 lens and I have three questions at this moment.

1. I have found a Super D with Graflok back. I actually prefer one with Graflex back as I have just bought three Graflex bag holders. How easy to convert the Graflok back to Graflex back? Can I do it myself or do I have to send it to a shop like SK Grimes?

2. The camera does not have a ground glass, only the chimney from the top. I guess I will use the chimney most of the time shooting portraits. Again, any feedback from users of this camera will be welcome.

3. Do you ever use flash for portraits with this camera? The previous user added something to the side of the camera so he could use flash. I am thinking of taking that thing off.

Thanks,
Hugo

Pete Roody
22-Jun-2011, 09:44
Hugo,

Most people prefer the Graflok back since it takes standard holders. You could probably swap with someone who has a Graflex back version for allot less than a conversion.

Fred Lustig could also do the conversion for you.

Pete

Frank Petronio
22-Jun-2011, 11:13
Yeah you might better trade evenly with someone with a nice clean non-Graflock version!

rjmeyer314
22-Jun-2011, 12:05
Sell the one with the Graflock back and make a fortune. Then buy the cheaper Super-D with the graflex black. (I also prefer the graflex back.)

Bill_1856
22-Jun-2011, 12:58
It is not an easy conversion because the location of the ground glass is off by several millemeters, and would have to be repositioned -- not a do-it-yourself job. Mine went back to Lens and Repro twice to get it right.
The only real advantage to the Graflock/Graphic back was the ability to use Polaroid materials, which is no longer a good option. Roll film holders were made for the Graflex back, although less plentiful in the used market.
Frankly, I would prefer the Graflex back because I love the Bag-Mags.

Roger Thoms
22-Jun-2011, 13:17
My first thought is to shop for a Super D that has not been converted and to sell the one you have, heck you might even come out ahead. My second thought is to contact SK Grime and inquire about the feasibility of converting back to the Graflex back. Since they do the conversions to the Graflok backs they should have some insight into this.

Roger

Just re-read the OP, and realized you are just considering the camera. In that case I would keep looking for one with the back you prefer.

Sirius Glass
22-Jun-2011, 13:23
I have a 4"x5" Graflex Model D that the seller added a Graflok back so that I can move the film holders and Grafmatic 45 between that and my Speed Graphic. I would recommend that you keep the Graflex film holders as historic pieces or sell them.

You have more flexibility with the Graflok backs.

Since your camera is a single lens reflex, you do not need a ground glass back. That is part of the beauty of the camera. You can open the hood and shoot without setting up a tripod every time.

Steve

Frank Petronio
22-Jun-2011, 13:57
Well for that matter, you don't need a Super D either, unless you can use the auto-stop down gizmo for the included Ektar lens (which is all I think you need btw, it is a very fine lens). But the whole trend is to shoot wide open so why not get an older, less expensive non-Super-D?

And because I enjoy the role of being a pontificating windbag butting into other photographer's choices... why a Pentac f/2.9 lens at all? These fast lenses have such shallow depth of field that breathing and hand-holding make holding focus difficult even with the advantage of the SLR focusing.

It just seems like a lot of effort for not so great results, like the guys who drop a grand trying to cram an Aero-Ektar into a Graflex. It can be done, but to what good purpose? The 190mm Ektar lens rocks and is a lot more usable for the real world. And it folds up inside, making a nice box, and it focuses to infinity, unlike these unwieldily conversions to alternative lenses.

Look for a late mode B to D with a nice lens in clean, good condition and go shoot!

rknewcomb
22-Jun-2011, 14:01
You need a groundglass back on the rear of the camera if you ever need/want to set the focus of the screen that you look at through the waist level finder. You focus the image on the rear groundglass and THEN set the viewer groundglass screen to match what the film will "see". Would be handy if one were changing from a Graflock to GraFLEX back.
I prefer the GraFLEX back. The film holders are very easy to put on the camera, quick and sure fit.
Not sure why someone would have a 4x5 reflex camera and then put a roll film reduction back on it.
My $.02
Robert

jnantz
22-Jun-2011, 15:04
hi hugo,

you could probably contact bert sanders or fred lustig to put the other back on
there for you ( or you might be able to do it yourself if you are good with shims et al. )
you might have to provide them with the back you want to put on ...

the super d's are nice, but the main feature that separates them from the
older series d is the auto diaphragm so you don't have to bother closing down your lens
after focusing ... since you want to put on the other lens,
and don't want the graflok back ... you might be better off with the older camera ( and
selling the camera you have to feed it ) ...

have fun !
john

jnantz
22-Jun-2011, 15:06
hi robert

i have a old series d with a graflex back ( the sliding bar )
and i also use a graphic23 roll film back. its a roll film back that is meant
for a graflok / international back camera ( like a speed graphic &C )
--- i just tape it on there ...
for a while i was using a recommar 35mm back on the camera as well ...
black and white, color, c-41 or e6 ... can't think of a reason why i shouldn't do it ...

i have a long list of things i can't believe that people do ... but i realized it doesn't really matter

Jeremy Moore
22-Jun-2011, 15:56
shoot, i have an RB with a bag mag and would love to switch to one with a back I can use my modern holders on instead if you want to trade!

rknewcomb
22-Jun-2011, 18:01
The focus screen on a Super D is newer and brighter then the older cameras.
The cloth shutter curtain is going to have less age on it and I believe they were made from better material then the earlier camera curtains, so probably in better shape.
The shutter tensions have two settings instead of five so somewhat simpler to use.
I love the smell of a Graflex in the morning, so don't get me wrong - I like the fine older cameras too. But, the Super D is more of a modern camera and easier to use.
Another $.02 worth for free.
Robert

Jeremy Moore
23-Jun-2011, 09:06
The focus screen on a Super D is newer and brighter then the older cameras.
The cloth shutter curtain is going to have less age on it and I believe they were made from better material then the earlier camera curtains, so probably in better shape.
The shutter tensions have two settings instead of five so somewhat simpler to use.
I love the smell of a Graflex in the morning, so don't get me wrong - I like the fine older cameras too. But, the Super D is more of a modern camera and easier to use.
Another $.02 worth for free.
Robert

You could sell the bagmags you've collected and buy a handful of grafmatics and use the Super D with the benefits Robert describes above....

Sirius Glass
23-Jun-2011, 10:32
I understand one wanting the option for having ground glass for times when using the hood would not be practical. However, since there on no shifts, rises or tilts on the Graflex and since the lenses are longish, typically 7.5" on 4"x5" Graflexes or longer", I am a bit hard pressed to find situations where the difference between rear ground glass of the focusing hood would make a difference.

If one was at a wall that was 4' high, and there was no block, stool or ladder to use, then I could see the point, but how many times would one run across that situation.

If you can think of any, please tell me.

Steve