PDA

View Full Version : schneider or b&W lens cap sizing

Ed Richards
20-Jun-2011, 19:47
Just lost the rear lens cap for my 150mm Sironar W. Specs say the rear element is 57mm OD. Should I buy a 57mm cap, or a 58mm cap? More generally, are caps sized to fit the OD of their size, or should the cap be slightly larger than the lens OD? (I buy clip-in front caps so this has not come up for me before.)

Brian Ellis
21-Jun-2011, 05:37
I used to wonder the same thing you're asking about inside or outside and for that reason I bought lens caps for Schneider lenses directly from Schneider, they always knew which cap to use for which lens.

Ed Richards
21-Jun-2011, 05:46
But Rodenstock does not sell lens caps.:-)

Arne Croell
21-Jun-2011, 05:51
It should be the same size, not larger. Both Kaiser and Schneider make 57mm push-on caps.

Bob Salomon
21-Jun-2011, 06:46

Of course they do. But they are the same as the Kaiser caps and cost more. We stock both.

Ed Richards
21-Jun-2011, 08:46
Thanks Bob. I prefer Schneider caps when I have the option - they are very well made. I do not seem to be able to find a 63.5 which is the rear diameter for the 47XL. I am assuming that 64 is close enough?.

Do you agree that the cap size should be the rear element diameter?

Arne Croell
21-Jun-2011, 09:04
Thanks Bob. I prefer Schneider caps when I have the option - they are very well made. I do not seem to be able to find a 63.5 which is the rear diameter for the 47XL. I am assuming that 64 is close enough?.

Do you agree that the cap size should be the rear element diameter?

Btw, if a cap is just a tad too loose, putting it in boiling water for a minute or two sometimes does the trick by shrinking it a few tenth of a mm.

Brian Ellis
21-Jun-2011, 17:44

That's why you should have bought Schneider. : - )