PDA

View Full Version : Fort Lauderdale/Miami area?

Ed Richards
20-Jun-2011, 18:44
I am stuck in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area for several days. Any good shooting around here? I know about the Holocaust Memorial, and the old Deco hotels on South Beach.

cdholden
20-Jun-2011, 18:52
What do you want to shoot?
Hot models? Go to the Beach (Miami Beach or Ft Lauderdale Beach).
Landscape? Go the The Everglades or Loop Road in Big Cypress Park.
Want to go fishing? Put the camera away and charter a fishing boat. Head for North Miami, Dania Beach or Holiday Isle in Islamorada.
Want to go to jail? Get some coke and troll for hookers on Biscayne Blvd. Yeah, not my thing either.
What do you like? Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have about everything except cold weather.
West Palm Beach is only a county north. They tend to speak better English and have just about as many things to do.

Ed Richards
20-Jun-2011, 19:20
I mostly like to shoot historic buildings with LF. I should probably grab my digital and shoot people around here.

cdholden
20-Jun-2011, 19:29
In comparison to other parts of the country, that area isn't very old. For old buildings, the Deco buildings on Miami Beach is probably your best bet for that. Viscaya (Deering Estate) in Coconut Grove is pretty cool. There's a lot of old beach houses in Ft Lauderdale with jalousie (sp?) type windows. Different if you've never seen it, but easily passed over after a photo or two.
If you want to enjoy some other people's work, check out the Art District (aka Design District) on NW 2nd Ave, just north of downtown Miami. Lots of fashion and art galleries to choose from. Don't stray far from 2nd Ave, or too far north on it at night. Overtown/Liberty City isn't the best area to be in, especially if you look and act like a tourist.

Jim Michael
21-Jun-2011, 03:42
Just south of Boca (Mexico Beach?) there was a beach that attracted a lot of wind surfers when I lived there a few years ago. And you never hear much about North Beach...

Brian Ellis
21-Jun-2011, 05:17
I am stuck in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area for several days. Any good shooting around here? I know about the Holocaust Memorial, and the old Deco hotels on South Beach.

At least you're approaching your ordeal with the right attitude, "stuck" being the operative word.

cdholden
22-Jun-2011, 21:01
Ed,
Make sure to keep your passport handy when you leave. As you've seen, they will let anyone IN to Miami. You'll need your papers in order to get out. :)

Doug Howk
23-Jun-2011, 04:40
The convent (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4A9B) that Hurst bought and moved to US is quite interesting.
Fairchild Botanical Gardens for those into tropical plants/landscapes.
Bonnet House & Gardens along A1A in Ft Lauderdale

cdholden
23-Jun-2011, 04:58
Just south of Boca (Mexico Beach?) there was a beach that attracted a lot of wind surfers when I lived there a few years ago. And you never hear much about North Beach...

You're thinking Deerfield Beach.
Mexico Beach is about 20 miles east/southeast of Panama City.