PDA

View Full Version : Paper Alternatives

al olson
20-Jun-2011, 08:32
I have been doing a little research on b&w papers to keep my costs down. Years ago I was using Adorama-branded papers (coater unknown) because I liked the density and contrast as well as the price. For a long while I didn't see their brand listed on their site. Recently Adorama papers have reappeared.

I have been told that Adorama paper is coated by Ilford. The question is which coating. My preferred paper has been the Kentmere VC Select because I like the tonality and the contrast. It also happens to be twice as fast (exposure-wise) as the Ilford coating but that only counts if you are processing many prints at a time.

I have gathered together the pricing data for the three papers for comparison. All of the information in the table is for glossy surfaces except for the double asterisk which indicates luster because glossy was not listed for 50 sheets in that size. As you can see from the table, The Adorama brands are considerably less than either Ilford or Kentmere. Because Kentmere is also less than Ilford, I am hoping that means that the Adorama paper is also similar to Kentmere.

My recent order included my usual Kentmere sizes, but I also bought 8 1/2 x 11 Adorama because this size gives me a good contact print from Print File. When my order arrives I will check out the Adorama to see if it resembles either of the two Ilford surfaces.

-------------------- Ilford MG IV ------ Kentmere VC Select ------ Adorama Variable Grade
8x10 100 sheets ---- $60.05 ------------- $44.95 ------------------- $29.95
11x14 50 sheets ---- $59.95 ------------- $48.95 ------------------- $31.50**
16x20 50 sheets --- $127.95 ------------- $99.99 ------------------- $74.95

8 1/2 x 11 100 sh --------------------------------------------------- $36.95

jeroldharter
20-Jun-2011, 08:42
I suggest buying small quantities of each (and maybe a few others) in 8x10 and do some test prints of one of your negatives.

I have done this a few times. I write the brand on the back of the sheet in pencil so that I can do a blind comparison of dried, toned prints. I try to get the inter-print density and contrast as close as I can. That gives me a sense of the papers' relative speed, contrast, tonality, response to toner, etc.

Interestingly each time I have done this, with at least 8 different papers, I choose the same favorite. It is also useful to do the test to verify that you are not choosing a false economy - an inexpensive paper that you don't like relative to the alternatives. Unless you are going through thousands of sheets per year, you are better off picking what you prefer regardless of the cost which varies by only a factor of ~2 from least to most expensive. Fortunately, I like the cheap stuff!

I have been tempted by the Adorama or Freestyle brands but I don't like it that they seem to change often and availability can be erratic. I use mostly Kentmere FP VC FB.

HelenOster
21-Jun-2011, 08:19
I have been doing a little research on b&w papers to keep my costs down. Years ago I was using Adorama-branded papers (coater unknown) because I liked the density and contrast as well as the price. For a long while I didn't see their brand listed on their site. Recently Adorama papers have reappeared.

I have been told that Adorama paper is coated by Ilford. The question is which coating.

Our paper is made in the EU where we have a high quality facility, making and coating the papers for us.

Photographers have commented that "the Adorama Variable Grade darkroom paper has brighter whites and richer blacks than Ilford’s MG4 - at a HUGE saving!”

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you need any advice - or after-sales support.

al olson
22-Jun-2011, 11:37
Our paper is made in the EU where we have a high quality facility, making and coating the papers for us.

So I guess maybe I was wrong with my information ... ?

Photographers have commented that "the Adorama Variable Grade darkroom paper has brighter whites and richer blacks than Ilford’s MG4 - at a HUGE saving!”
. . .

This is what I remember about the earlier stock of Adorama, and I still have some in my refrigerator.

In any event, the 8 1/2 x 11 size will be good for testing and it will also allow the contract sheets from whole Print Files without some frames being cropped off the edge.

My method of testing is not very elaborate, Jerold, if I like the prints, it makes the cut.

davemiller
25-Jun-2011, 00:24
The last time I looked Ilford/Harman were in the EU; in England in fact. :confused:

Jim Noel
25-Jun-2011, 08:05
According to Simon Galley of Harmon Industries they do not make any products for re-branding.

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Jun-2011, 12:54
Al,

Try Arista EDU Ultra FB, it is very nice and I bet is made by the same company that makes Fomabrom Varient 111 (which is my fovorite paper) :-)

HelenOster
26-Jun-2011, 01:13
The last time I looked Ilford/Harman were in the EU; in England in fact. :confused:

It isn't made in England.

Retailer / manufacturer confidentiality clauses prevent me from giving out any additional information.

healyzh
28-Jun-2011, 08:00
My thought is give a box of Adorama 8x10 a try and see if you like it. It's cheap enough to be worth the gamble. I need to remember to follow that advice and order some...

al olson
16-Aug-2011, 12:54
My thought is give a box of Adorama 8x10 a try and see if you like it. It's cheap enough to be worth the gamble. I need to remember to follow that advice and order some...

I did exactly that, healyzh. A couple of months ago I purchased several boxes of 8x10 (100 sh), 8.5x11 (100 sh), and 11x14 (50 sh). I have been using these papers for both test and exhibit prints. I have been pleased with the contrast, smooth midtones, and the rich, cold blacks that I find similar to the Kentmere papers.

The exposure is similar to the Kentmere as well so I am able to increase my exposure by one stop for my remaining 16x20 Kentmere. It does what I want at a price I can afford so I will be adopting it as my standard for b&w printing.

Wayne Crider
16-Aug-2011, 13:29
According to Simon Galley of Harmon Industries they do not make any products for re-branding.

I think they make other brands, but they don't re-brand their Ilford items.

HelenOster
16-Aug-2011, 14:06
......I have been pleased with the contrast, smooth midtones, and the rich, cold blacks that I find similar to the Kentmere papers.........I will be adopting it as my standard for b&w printing.

Good to hear; thanks for the feedback!

Scotty230358
18-Aug-2011, 00:03
Its a great shame that shipping paper to the UK is so expensive. Whilst it makes economic sense to import film paper is a no no unless about 20-30 people get together to spread the cost.

HelenOster
18-Aug-2011, 00:44
Its a great shame that shipping paper to the UK is so expensive. Whilst it makes economic sense to import film paper is a no no unless about 20-30 people get together to spread the cost.

Drop me an email with what you'd ideally like to order & let's see if we can find a better shipping option for you: Helen@adorama.com

Cor
18-Aug-2011, 04:30
..economy is so weird..paper made in the EU shipped to the USA, and maybe shipped back again is cheaper that buying it directly in the UK..

I know there are clear explanations for it, but it is still weird..used to buy a lot of Arista stuff when it was still made in England, it was much cheaper buying (mostly) re-labeled film from Freestyle USA and had it shipped to Holland that buy directly Ilford over the counter...

Best,

Cor

Drew Wiley
19-Aug-2011, 08:26
It's whatever the market will bear, as well as the respective policies of the national
distribution companies. I sell lots and lots of German power tools which are much cheaper here than in Germany.