PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary of Durst enlarger terms?

cyrus
20-Jun-2011, 06:57
I have HAD IT with Durst and their naming of enlarger parts. WTF is a Vagla or a Neofembix? Does ANYONE have dictionary of Durst terms? I am trying to find out what I would need to use MF and 4x5 negs on my CLS 1840, and what bits/pieces are missing from my L1200 with a Ilford Multigrade 500S head, and I find myself totally lost in their naming conventions. For such a great piece of machinery, whatever dufus came up with the idea of using these names deserves a quick smack upside the head.

jeroldharter
20-Jun-2011, 07:00
As far as I know there are 8 Durst Dictionaries, the most helpful of which was the Whatthefumbix 3460, but it is rare. They go for about $800 used.

Allen in Montreal
20-Jun-2011, 07:06
As far as I know there are 8 Durst Dictionaries, the most helpful of which was the Whatthefumbix 3460, but it is rare. They go for about $800 used.

:) :)

Allen in Montreal
20-Jun-2011, 07:09
I have HAD IT with Durst and their naming of enlarger parts. WTF is a Vagla or a Neofembix? Does ANYONE have dictionary of Durst terms? I am trying to find out what I would need to use MF and 4x5 negs on my CLS 1840, and what bits/pieces are missing from my L1200 with a Ilford Multigrade 500S head, and I find myself totally lost in their naming conventions. For such a great piece of machinery, whatever dufus came up with the idea of using these names deserves a quick smack upside the head.

I started a spread sheet once, but after a while, in a glaring statement that I spend too much time thinking about darkroom gear, I stopped, because I actually learned what all those dumb names mean on the 3 Durst enlargers I have. :(
I need to get a life.

cyrus
20-Jun-2011, 07:14

But you can't use it without the adaptor that goes with it, right?

jeroldharter
20-Jun-2011, 07:18
But you can't use it without the adaptor that goes with it, right?

I should have mentioned that all 8 dictionaries were written in Latin and the adapter is a beautifully crafted optical overlay that will convert each page to Italian. Again, uncommon and expensive, never seen on Ebay but once on Craigslist in Huntsville, Alabama - pick up only due to the weight of the optics.

Len Middleton
20-Jun-2011, 07:24
I should have mentioned that all 8 dictionaries were written in Latin and the adapter is a beautifully crafted optical overlay that will convert each page to Italian. Again, uncommon and expensive, never seen on Ebay but once on Craigslist in Huntsville, Alabama - pick up only due to the weight of the optics.

Like the condensers, were the optics done by Rodenstock? :D

jeroldharter
20-Jun-2011, 07:25
Like the condensers, were the optics done by Rodenstock? :D

Alpa

bob carnie
20-Jun-2011, 07:40
epsoalan, lambda, theata, rhoe.. they just keep coming with names.

Have to admit though , probably the best imaging company in the world, hands down.

dsphotog
20-Jun-2011, 11:12
There always seems to be "just ONE more" rare, obscure part needed to make it usable.
It's also 240 volt, so some household rewiring is required.

ic-racer
20-Jun-2011, 19:52
I am trying to find out what I would need to use MF and 4x5 negs on my CLS 1840

Do you have the manual, it should answer the questions. If you currently have the LARANEG with two pieces of glass and the LARABOX 100N, then all you need to do is make up some masks.

The correct item is the HOMASKSET and they fit under the LARANEG. Gary has these but they are rare.

I think you could easily make a 4x5in and 6x6cm masks like the HOMASKSET.

If you have the NEGATEIL negative holder, you can make masks that fit in the side masking slots. (shown here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=563576&postcount=220 )

If you have the LARABOX 100N and printing times are too long then you can seek the LARABOX 450 and LARABOX 69 light multipliers, but the 100N should work fine.

Renato Tonelli
21-Jun-2011, 07:59
I remember being visibly annoyed when I found out that the L1200's Multigraph head and CLS501 Color Head take different mixing boxes. I also didn't get the point of the two slightly different negative carrier - I needed the AN for full-frame 4x5.

cyrus
21-Jun-2011, 08:37
Do you have the manual, it should answer the questions. If you currently have the LARANEG with two pieces of glass and the LARABOX 100N, then all you need to do is make up some masks.

The correct item is the HOMASKSET and they fit under the LARANEG. Gary has these but they are rare.

I think you could easily make a 4x5in and 6x6cm masks like the HOMASKSET.

If you have the NEGATEIL negative holder, you can make masks that fit in the side masking slots. (shown here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=563576&postcount=220 )

If you have the LARABOX 100N and printing times are too long then you can seek the LARABOX 450 and LARABOX 69 light multipliers, but the 100N should work fine.

Thanks - yes I do have the LARANEG (grrrrr!)
Funny thing - if you google "HOMASKSET" this thread comes up first *Sigh* and I found this too: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=70332

gary mulder
21-Jun-2011, 09:18
Some pictures of the Homaskset

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=563722&postcount=225

gary mulder
21-Jun-2011, 09:24
There are 5 options for the Laraneg and smaller neg sizes
-Laradap + Trinomasks or glass 5' x 7'
-Lagrafi with registration pins and glass 5' x 7' or 18 x 24 cm
-Homaskset masks
-A glassless negative carrier that clamp and tighten the negative with spring tension. In 8x10,4x5 and 120 roll film
-mavet 205 and masks from the 138

cyrus
21-Jun-2011, 09:26
Thanks gary and ic-racer

Cor
22-Jun-2011, 05:50
Cyrus,

One thing that really bugs me with the L1200 is that you cannot print your whole 4*5 negative with the FEMONEG negative holder (I guess is perhaps designed for the tad smaller european sheet film size, although 4* 5 inch fits exactly in the corners of the holder).

There seems to be a bit bigger FEMONEG AM(?) at a premium price (not that I have ever seen one for sale, I jut inquired a long time ago), which allows complete projection, not sure if you have an even illumination right at the edges, the condensor set is a tight fit for 4*5 anyway.

So your 184 is a better option in that respect..

Best,

Cor

cyrus
22-Jun-2011, 07:13
Sigh. I would love to use my Durst 1840 for 35mm and MF but this think with masks etc is a pain. Sometimes I think ill just pull out my Beseler 23c. The whole "finding the right lens plate where the threads clear the frame" thing on my Omaha D5 IS ALSO a pain.

ic-racer
22-Jun-2011, 20:13
Sigh. I would love to use my Durst 1840 for 35mm and MF but this think with masks etc is a pain. Sometimes I think ill just pull out my Beseler 23c. The whole "finding the right lens plate where the threads clear the frame" thing on my Omaha D5 IS ALSO a pain.

Don't give up. There are other masking options for big glass carriers. I sometimes use a piece of the black plastic from photographic paper packages and cut a 35mm sized hole and lay it on top of the closed glass carrier and hold it at the edges with some tape. I use masks like this with holes for Minox, 16mm, 35mm and 6x6 with my 5"x5" glass Omega carrier.

gary mulder
22-Jun-2011, 23:27
One of the nice things you can also do with a 8 x 10 enlarger is that you can make a enlarged contact print of the whole film.

cyrus
23-Jun-2011, 05:14
I don't know about putting a piece of plastic over the glass negative - thing get pretty warm up thrte

ic-racer
23-Jun-2011, 10:48
I don't know about putting a piece of plastic over the glass negative - thing get pretty warm up thrte

Yes, I forgot why I abondoned that technique on the Durst :0 . Plus the fan that blows on top of the negative holder would blow it around.