PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Voigtlander Euryscop

vitality
19-Jun-2011, 13:36
Seller states it is portrait euryscope, however I think it is not 2nd or 3rd series (portrait), but 4th series euryscope?
Another question is, that most euryscopes are marked with "Euryscope", but this one have only Nr. 4 written on it and thats it.

Had offer for another one like this.
Looks the same. But is it possible, that on one of this lenses (orange background) sun shade is put from another side? Does it fit the same from both sides? Then they are the same, otherwise a little bit different?

If somebody could help. Was looking around and could not find much info, most Euryscopes have it stated, but this one not.

And another question is 250 eur good price for this kind of lens (4th series Nr.4)?

Thank you for help!

eddie
19-Jun-2011, 13:49
They look real to me.

Yes. You can put the shade on either side.

Steven Tribe
19-Jun-2011, 15:04
These are early examples of size 4 of series II or IV.
These not marked Euryskop in the early days (note serial numbers and Wien und Braunschweig!).

They are the following front glass sizes - series II 2 1/2" - series IV 1 3/4".

Series II is efl 14" and covers fullplate F4.
Series IV is efl 10" and covers 8x10 F5.

I think it is a series II. Series III had only a 4A.
Buy!

cdholden
19-Jun-2011, 15:07
Series II is portrait. Weren't all the "portrait" euryscopes marked as such?

Steven Tribe
19-Jun-2011, 15:22
No! The early Euryskops were not even engraved euryscopes. Nor was the series I petzval marked as a Portrait lens.

Louis Pacilla
19-Jun-2011, 15:28
Seller states it is portrait euryscope, however I think it is not 2nd or 3rd series (portrait), but 4th series euryscope?
Another question is, that most euryscopes are marked with "Euryscope", but this one have only Nr. 4 written on it and thats it.

Had offer for another one like this.
Looks the same. But is it possible, that on one of this lenses (orange background) sun shade is put from another side? Does it fit the same from both sides? Then they are the same, otherwise a little bit different?

If somebody could help. Was looking around and could not find much info, most Euryscopes have it stated, but this one not.

And another question is 250 eur good price for this kind of lens (4th series Nr.4)?

Thank you for help!

My Euryskop/Euryscope series III"s say "Portrait" on them while my series IV's are marked differently . I don't own a series II so I don't know but would guess it followed the series III & will be tagged "Portrait".

A couple of my IV's are close to your a serial #'s 23.xxx/25xxx they are marked Only by the size & not series.

I have a couple in the 33xxx-35xxx both say Euryscope & size #.No series designation .

I would think the lenses your looking at buying are series IV. That said Steven would have a better line & he seems to feel early Portrait Euryskops are not Necessarily marked "Portrait"

No matter what, Buy them! At the least they are fantastic f6 Rectilinear you could get lucky & wind up w/ the faster f4-f4.5.

Steven Tribe
19-Jun-2011, 15:36
There is quite a big difference in efl so you could ask him to measure the length from the slot to a clear image or (if he doesn't scratch the lens) the width of the front glass. Series IV have the advantage of easy 8x10 coverage.

goamules
20-Jun-2011, 04:46
That's a great price for a great lens. If you want to see another example of the series IV, No. 4 size, look at the one I have in the for sale section. It doesn't say Euryscop on it either...too early.

William Whitaker
20-Jun-2011, 06:25
I have the same lens as the OP, serial #29380. At least it appears the same with the same build and markings. Focal length measures about 14 1/2" on the camera. On 10x12 at infinity corners are significantly diminished in both illumination and resolution, being right at the edge of the image circle. But on 8x10 the coverage is more than adequate. I just got it back from mounting and am very pleased with the look on the ground glass. Simply beautiful!

Tim Deming
20-Jun-2011, 07:50
Series IV, 100% sure. The hood is much taller on a Series II portrait (more like how the Petzvals look).

Also, I seem to remember that the waterhouse slot is not exactly in the center of the cylinder between the lenses in the Euryscop IVs, so best to put it in correctly (lettering upside down with hood pointing up) if you buy/use it.

cheers

Tim

Steven Tribe
20-Jun-2011, 10:41
Will - yours must be a series IV with the focal length around 14".
Agreed about the usual longer hood but look at the two illustrations in 1890 catalogue.
But catalogue illustrations can be misleading or wrong.

vitality
20-Jun-2011, 16:21
Thank you very much for all answers.
So looks like I had a correct guess about it being 4th Series Euryscope.

Anyway I'm going for it to try :)
And once again, thank you.

vitality
20-Jun-2011, 16:34
These are early examples of size 4 of series II or IV.
These not marked Euryskop in the early days (note serial numbers and Wien und Braunschweig!).

They are the following front glass sizes - series II 2 1/2" - series IV 1 3/4".

Series II is efl 14" and covers fullplate F4.
Series IV is efl 10" and covers 8x10 F5.

I think it is a series II. Series III had only a 4A.
Buy!

If i'm not wrong, they are both (II and IV series) 2 1\2" size front element (at least in catalog it says so), difference is only in FL.

Steven Tribe
21-Jun-2011, 00:46
Yes you are right. The list I was using (Prochnow) has his own numeration alongside which makes quick scanning a bit prone to error. And series II is efl 9 3/4", and series IV is efl 14 1/3".
There are a lot more series IV around than series II!

vitality
21-Jun-2011, 03:31
I got here very weird question about RR and petzval design (modification of it).
Did somebody tried to change distance between front and rear element (ex: originally distance is 10cm, but to put same elements on temp lens barrel with 5cm distance)? How does it affect FL (for example shortens FL) and picture quality? Or maybe someone tried to do so with petzval lenses?
I know Dallmeyer was changing distance between rear elements, that way he controlled softness of image (if my knowledge is correct on this), but to change distance between front and rear group, will it lead to shorten focal length and higher F number? Or may be it will add more softness/swirls and etc?
Just now tried to hand hold 2 petzval elements (front and rear group) on shorter distance (approx 5cm distance, when originally it was approx. 15cm between elements (Suter Basel 16 inch)), it still makes projection of window on the wall (well about quality of "new projection" cannot say much).
May be someone tried before?

eddie
21-Jun-2011, 04:31
some of the jamin or darlot lenses pull apart. they have a knob that locks them in place. anyway, i played with one once and all it did was change the focal length. BUT i did not shoot with it or print any and look at them critically. sometimes like with soft focus lenses you need to print the image to really see what is going on....sometimes.

Steven Tribe
21-Jun-2011, 11:43
I always assumed that the split versions of the Darlot cone (and some other anon. lenses from the same period and a little later with a screw join to the 2 half barrels) was to facilitate the use of the front achromatic as a landscape lens with a higher F. These have double ended threads for the flange mounring at both ends.
Or am I completely lost. Only seen and touched cones!

vitality
21-Jun-2011, 16:11
some of the jamin or darlot lenses pull apart. they have a knob that locks them in place. anyway, i played with one once and all it did was change the focal length. BUT i did not shoot with it or print any and look at them critically. sometimes like with soft focus lenses you need to print the image to really see what is going on....sometimes.

Yes, that's why I was wondering if someone tried before to do so, and how is the result of this kind of manipulations (final picture).
Anyway if you will have some info, please let me know (post here or PM).

vitality
21-Jun-2011, 16:15
I always assumed that the split versions of the Darlot cone (and some other anon. lenses from the same period and a little later with a screw join to the 2 half barrels) was to facilitate the use of the front achromatic as a landscape lens with a higher F. These have double ended threads for the flange mounring at both ends.
Or am I completely lost. Only seen and touched cones!

Yes, it was like this. You could turn around lens, remove rear glass element, and put "aperture" (it was separate attachment, dont know exact name). So in the end it could be used as landscape lens.

Adamphotoman
22-Jun-2011, 10:07
I also need help trying to value a Euroscop Series IV No 7 Serial #40679.
This one is engraved with Voigtlander & John Braunschnrig.
This one has wear on the brass and the lens hood has dents. But it comes with a lens board and mounting flange.
Grant

Louis Pacilla
22-Jun-2011, 11:05
What do you want to know? Did you do any web searches? There is tones of info on Euryskops .
Here's a catalog from 1890. Just scroll down & read. It will give you FL & plate coverage.

http://www.antiquecameras.net/1890lenscatalogue.html