PDA

View Full Version : Meters

dsim
19-Jun-2011, 10:06
Well it sort of just happened, got another meter. Yeah I know, one clock and you know what time it is, two or three clocks and.........:confused:

I got another meter because I wanted to keep an unused calibrated meter to check against the meters I use in the field (Advice obtained from a forum member). Lo an behold, when I checked the new meter against the calibrated ones, the new meter underexposed by almost a stop. How is this possible?

George at Quality Light Metric explained that it was a common issue with the manufacturer, so my new meter will be sent to him for calibration, hence the reason for this post.

Before your drive yourself crazy with spectral response, linearity and k-factors, get your meter calibrated. :)

lenser
19-Jun-2011, 10:37
Gray card, full sunlight, adjustment screw....calibration within 1/3 stop with ease. ISO set for 100, sunny 16 rule and check at least once every three months or so, or at the start of a major trip or job. Either I've been awfully lucky, or this is close to foolproof.

dsim
19-Jun-2011, 10:55
Good advice Tim, unfortunately I don't know where the adjustment screw is on my Pentax Digital Meter so I just send it in.

John Koehrer
19-Jun-2011, 11:18
I'm thinkin' the idea of a meter in a drawer to use as a reference just isn't a great idea. You checked yours and it was off, fine.
What if you assumed it was correct and your others were wrong?

lenser
19-Jun-2011, 11:26
Understood, dsim. I fell into the trap of having never owned a digital meter except for my ever trusty Minolta III Flash meter, so I wasn't thinking that way. I've only ever used analog in the field.

dsim
19-Jun-2011, 11:49
I'm thinkin' the idea of a meter in a drawer to use as a reference just isn't a great idea. You checked yours and it was off, fine.
What if you assumed it was correct and your others were wrong?

That's unlikely because my meters were recently calibrated but I acknowledge your point John.

@Tim: Great convenience for you. I do temporary adjustments with the ASA/ISO.

BetterSense
19-Jun-2011, 12:40
I solve this problem by not using meters. I think I have had more exposures ruined by meters than improved by them. Even when I use one, I never trust it anyway; at best it's a confirmation--eventually I just stopped bringing them. Then again I don't shoot slide film in tricky lighting.

John Koehrer
21-Jun-2011, 15:13
That's unlikely because my meters were recently calibrated but I acknowledge your point John.

@Tim: Great convenience for you. I do temporary adjustments with the ASA/ISO.

I understand yours were calibrated and appreciate that.
So many people buy a meter for a spare and never bother. It's really pretty funny when you think about it. :) Obviously not given much thought by those folks.

dsim
21-Jun-2011, 18:27
I understand yours were calibrated and appreciate that.
So many people buy a meter for a spare and never bother. It's really pretty funny when you think about it. :) Obviously not given much thought by those folks.

Agreed John. I guess it's easy to assume a new meter doesn't need calibration. Well it's been sent off to Quality Light Metric. My trusty old PDS works just fine.

Can't help but wonder why a new Sekonic 758 meter underexposes by as much as 2/3's of a stop in Spot Metering mode.