PDA

View Full Version : Any Arca Swiss P0 ball head users?

hassiman
18-Jun-2011, 21:22
I was thinking of purchasing a Arca Swiss P0 ball head...
Just wondering if there are any users pit there?
Are they a good product?
Are they compatible with Really Right Stuff L brackets?

Thanks

engl
18-Jun-2011, 22:33
I use the Arca P0 ball head together with my Chamonix 4x5. I am very satisfied with this combination, I like that it pans on top, it is well built and locks very down very tight. It is small, light, has an elliptical ball, and is rather affordable for a top quality ball head.

However, it is not as smooth as some other ball heads, and it has no separate tension control. It locks using a ring instead of a knob which I like, easily accessible from any direction and requires very little force to lock, but perhaps some would prefer the classic knob.

hassiman
19-Jun-2011, 12:22
My big concern is that I love the Really Right Stuff L brackets on my DSLR cameras and the AS P0 head does not have nodal alignment indices on the quick release attachment... or the QR plates. I have no idea if the RRS L brackets will fit the P0's QR attachment. I guess I can just screw the RRS PCL-1 pano Clamp onto the P0 head...:eek:

Meanwhile my Arca Swiss B1 still sits unused in my closet.... pity.

Rod Klukas
25-Jun-2011, 08:20
My big concern is that I love the Really Right Stuff L brackets on my DSLR cameras and the AS P0 head does not have nodal alignment indices on the quick release attachment... or the QR plates. I have no idea if the RRS L brackets will fit the P0's QR attachment. I guess I can just screw the RRS PCL-1 pano Clamp onto the P0 head...:eek:

Meanwhile my Arca Swiss B1 still sits unused in my closet.... pity.
All of the more recent Arca-swiss heads can be purchased or have the QR converted.
The P0 can be purchased with a classic QR on top and allow for the L bracket. This QR also has a dual channel so can take not only classic plates but the newer, smaller Monoball fix plates as well. It is available with knob lock or Fliplok lever lock on the QR. The B1 mentioned can also have a 'TopPan' installed to make it more versatile for rotational panning while remaining level.
The QR is removed and the top pan installed and the QR replaced on top of it.

It really is a versatile family of tripod heads. The P0 should be very smooth so you might consider sending to Precision Camera Works in Niles, IL for a check up. It would be under warranty so you would only be out the frt.

hassiman
25-Jun-2011, 09:39
It seems as if I should be able to buy a P0 without the AS QR plate on top and simply buy a step up screw bushing and simply screw my RRS PCL-1 panoramic clamp right on the top when I need it... No?

It will be a he'll of a lot smaller and lighter to carry around than the B1

engl
25-Jun-2011, 10:44
You could do that, but you'd essentially be putting a panning base on top of a panning base :) I bought the one without a clamp and put a Sunwayfoto Arca-compatible quick release on top. The bolt (?) can be removed from the P0 head and the Sunwayfoto QR clamp attached using the included bolt and hex screw (from above).

The P0 option with Arca-compatible QR was rather expensive, had no index marks and a lot shorter contact area than the 60mm of the clamp I use on mine.

And to Rod Klukas, thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Sweden and ordered mine from Arca-shop.de in Germany, but I have not had any success communicating with them. I'm happy with my P0 head and will leave it as it is.

hassiman
25-Jun-2011, 10:54
If the top center bolt on the P0 can be removed then I should be able to just permanently bolt my RRS PCL-1 panoramic clamp right to the P0 correct?

engl
25-Jun-2011, 15:20
That would depend on the PCL-1, is it possible to put a bolt straight though it down to the P0 below?

It still seems like a very odd combo to me, with two panning bases on top of each other. You will lose some of the compactness of the head, probably lose some stability, and the two together puts you at 600g. Just putting a quick release on top of the P0 would give you lower profile, better stability, and around 400g weight, with the same panning movement. At 600g, you could get a sturdier/stronger P1 head (with separate tension control) and QR clamp of choice, such as a Sunwayfoto with distance scale.

hassiman
25-Jun-2011, 17:55
My problem with the P0 pan head attachment is the huge size of the AS L bracket.
The RRS L brackets are small and remain attached to my cameras all the tiime...
If I have seen the correct AS L bracket it would be something you would only want on a Camera for short periods .

engl
26-Jun-2011, 01:40
Yes, but you could use your RSS L brackets together with the Sunwayfoto QR clamp I suggested (or any other Arca compatible clamp, such as the P0 with the "quickset" option which is compatible both with standard Arca plates and the new smaller plates).

hassiman
26-Jun-2011, 05:49
Would you have a link showing the AS "Quickset" clamp for the P0 and the sun way photo item?