PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Grimes

William Whitaker
17-Jun-2011, 17:49
Just got an order back from SK Grimes today and as usual, it is spot-on. In addition to a couple of lens mountings, they adapted a lens chuck to a Sinar board with a Delrin spacer so that the knobs overhang the front panel of the camera with no interference (shown on my Canham). I have another just-slightly-smaller lens chuck on a Sinar board. But the slight difference in size is significant: this one will swallow a Betax 5 shutter as shown. The Delrin adapter is perfect, as is the workmanship. Adam and Joel do a great job. It's not cheap. But it's reasonable for the skill and labor involved. Besides, it's nice to have things work right the first time and with no excuses.

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/lenschucksinar_1.jpg

Jim Galli
17-Jun-2011, 20:06
In my next life, I want to be S. K. Grimes

I love quality.

Oren Grad
17-Jun-2011, 21:38
They're working on a similar job for me right now - figuring out how to shoehorn a slightly-too-large iris clamp into the front standard of an Anniversary Speed Graphic. I'm eagerly awaiting the result.

Oren Grad
13-Jul-2011, 19:15
...and here it is! :)

A spacer was needed to allow the clamp to clear the uprights of the front standard on the Graphic. In the picture on the right, a larger one they mounted for me a while back, on a Sinar-type board.

Tracy Storer
13-Jul-2011, 23:11
Yeah, Steve would be proud of the good work Adam and Co. are doing....always a pleasure to deal with them.

Graybeard
15-Jul-2011, 15:24
No question that the work is of high quality. I've had a couple of front mounts done by SKGrimes over the past year and they are well executed, indeed.

Do Adam & Co. require more time to complete a job than was the case in earlier days or is a two month turnaround (my experience) just what such work entails?

Yeah, Steve would be proud of the good work Adam and Co. are doing....always a pleasure to deal with them.

cdholden
15-Jul-2011, 15:52
Keep in mind that praising posts like these don't make their backlog of work any shorter.

Graybeard
15-Jul-2011, 16:01
Is it actually a backlog of work from eager customers swamping the shop or a local practice of only sending completed work out for black anodizing (final cosmetic finishing) only once a month?

Keep in mind that praising posts like these don't make their backlog of work any shorter.

Oren Grad
15-Jul-2011, 16:24
Do Adam & Co. require more time to complete a job than was the case in earlier days or is a two month turnaround (my experience) just what such work entails?

Turnaround on this one was about 10 weeks.

Bob McCarthy
15-Jul-2011, 17:42

I would think we should be grateful, considering the weakness in the general film industry.

Bob

jnantz
15-Jul-2011, 18:00
its nice to live near woonsocket !

David R Munson
16-Jul-2011, 05:47
A long time ago I had a Process Nikkor mounted into shutter by the Man Himself, and the work was impeccable. It's good to know that the business is continuing to uphold such a high standard of work.

Where do people find lens clamps like those seen on the first page of the thread? I've never seen one for sale...

Oren Grad
16-Jul-2011, 08:36
Where do people find lens clamps like those seen on the first page of the thread? I've never seen one for sale...

I bought both of mine through the for sale/wanted section here. There have been several offered in recent months.

David R Munson
16-Jul-2011, 08:48
Makes sense. I've only recently returned to the forum, and haven't actually looked at the classifieds recently. Good to know.