PDA

View Full Version : On the lookout

ThePenguin
17-Jun-2011, 14:51
I'm craving for a LF camera outfit. I've owned a Speed Graphic in the past but now I've fallen in love with the 8x10 format, but I'm afraid it will be to bulky in the field, and the film is very expensive. But I like the big format, especially when I'm going to shoot still life and portraits. But I also wanna shoot land/cityscapes and architecture.

I like the fact that I can shoot 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 6x17 on a 8x10 camera.

The alternative would be a 4x5 for agility or a 5x7 to get a little more opportunities with the formats.

I've had my eyes on Shen Hao and Tachihara witch seems quite affordable. Or maybe the Canham 5x7.

How would you think? Lets start with the cameras and take the lenses later.

Thank you!

lilmsmaggie
17-Jun-2011, 15:25
A new Canham will be around $3K. You've probably already costed the Shen and the Tachihara.

Don't leave the Chamonix out of your choices. I believe they're (8x10) available new for $2880. EMS shipping is around $115. Unlike the other cameras you're considering, you're not likely going to find a used Chamonix but they do ocassionally show up on the used market.

Shooting 5x7 will reduce your film choices, so you might explore what films are available in 5x7.

Good luck.

Sirius Glass
17-Jun-2011, 16:36
Buy one of each size and use the right size for each photograph. Come on, someone has to jump start the economy. Be the first on your block!

Siriusly, have a 4x5 and 5x7 for the field and the 8x10 for still life and portraits. Then if there is something you must use the 8x10 in the field you can without having to carry the 8x10 every time.

Steve

Alan Gales
17-Jun-2011, 16:38
I own a Tachihara. I slightly preferred it over the Shen Hao. The Chamonix came out right after I purchased my Tachi. All three are fine inexpensive cameras and you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

ThePenguin
18-Jun-2011, 14:06
It would be a dream to have all three formats, but I can't afford it. I've been searching the net and ebay to find some good deals, and I found some but I don't have a lot of knowledge nor experience with 8x10 cameras. I've found these:

- Wisner 8x10 Traditional Camera

- Kodak Master 8x10

How about them? Any experience and recommendations?

cdholden
18-Jun-2011, 14:44
Lets start with the cameras and take the lenses later.

Thank you!

You need to start from the other end. Figure out your lenses, then put the light tight box around it. Some lenses with a large rear element may not fit into your camera of choice. Some may not fit at all where some may fit after camera modification.

cdholden
18-Jun-2011, 14:47
It would be a dream to have all three formats, but I can't afford it. I've been searching the net and ebay to find some good deals, and I found some but I don't have a lot of knowledge nor experience with 8x10 cameras. I've found these:

- Wisner 8x10 Traditional Camera

- Kodak Master 8x10

How about them? Any experience and recommendations?

How about a Kodak 2D or an Eastman View #2? Both are plentiful and affordable (in comparison to some of the others), with lensboards that are much easier to obtain and/or modify. Both have reducer backs so an 8x10 model can also shoot 5x7 and 4x5. The camera isn't going to improve your images by spending more money. Practice will though. Get a decent lens or two and spend the rest of your money on film and paper.

Bruce Barlow
18-Jun-2011, 14:56
Richard Ritter can make an 8x10 with an interchangeable back for 5x7, and a reducing back to 4x5. It takes maybe five minutes to swap the rear box-and-bellows. Bellows front attaches to the front standard, which takes Zone VI or Sinar boards. Don't know what the total cost would be. The 8x10 is just under $3,000, I think. And it weighs 6 1/2 pounds.

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-Jun-2011, 16:55
The ARCA-SWISS F-Line offers the ultimate in versatility. It is a completely modular design that lets you mix and match parts to your heart's content. I even made 4x10 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23134) and 7x17 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17878) conversion kits for mine.

However, nothing ARCA-SWISS makes would be considered inexpensive. Beyond a basic 4x5 F-Line camera, used ARCA-SWISS gear is hard to find and tends to hold it's resale value (it's very well made and lasts forever, so it's a good investment).

If you are interested in the ARCA-SWISS system, I'd recommend starting with a used 4x5 F-Line or Discovery and then adding bits and pieces to support other formats as you find them and your budget allows.

Kerry

jp
18-Jun-2011, 17:50
If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for a canham. Next down in price would be a deardorf. These would be the more portable options. I have no experience with shen/chamonix/tachihara or ritter, but I suspect the ritter would be worth checking out for sure.

Then a monorail system like a used calumet c1 or used sinar. Surprisingly affordable, but heavy. A nice choice for city/architecture use.

What I actually own is a B&J field camera I bought for 300ish, a B&J rembrandt I bought for a little more than that. (Uses bigger lens boards (for packards and large lenses) and has a fixed front standard for stability). These can take 4x5 backs as well. These cameras are light but don't fold up very small, so they are not super portable, but are more portable than a monorail system.

I also have a 10a century I bought for $200. Pretty much portrait only.

As far as lenses go, a choice of two are keeping me pretty well entertained and learning. I'm alternating between a symmar-s 300/5.6 and a kodak portrait 305. There are others I'd like, and others I have on-deck, but I want to get real good with these first.

Brian Ellis
18-Jun-2011, 21:41
Tachihara 8x10s come in two designs, double extension and triple extension (at least they used to, I assume they still do). Triple can handle longer lenses than double but cost more and weigh more. Very nice cameras and very affordable.

I owned two Deardorffs, that's what I'll buy if I ever get another 8x10. They weigh about 12 pounds. If weight was a huge concern I'd probably buy a Ritter. Wehman's used to be good choices for light-weight, economical 8x10s but I understand he's quit making them. Canham 8x10s are great cameras but pretty expensive compared to the others mentioned here except the Ritter, which I think costs roughly the same.

If you're trying to spend the least possible amount of money but still get a good, well-made solid camera check out Kodak 2Ds. I've owned two, they don't have extensive movements - no front tilt, swing, or shift - but they do have back tilt and swing so you can get by without front. They're well-made cameras that can be bought for about $500 on ebay. Some of the ones on ebay are missing the rear extension frame and/or the sliding tripod block. Both of these accessories were important to me, they may not be to you. But without the rear extension you'll be limited in the maximum focal length lenses you can use, which might be a problem with portraits especially.

engl
18-Jun-2011, 23:03
I think you are making it difficult for yourself by buying only one camera. Get a 8x10 monorail for portraits and still life, and a 4x5 or 5x7 field camera for cityscapes/landscapes and other field uses. Much easier to work with in the field and in the studio, and with a Chamonix or Shen Hao 4x5 field camera plus a used 8x10 monorail, it will probably be a lot cheaper than trying to buy a single 8x10 plus reducing backs that will be good for 4x5 to 8x10, landscape, cityscape, architecture, still life and portraits.

eddie
19-Jun-2011, 00:08
Get a 8x10 monorail for portraits

For portraits i would say a studio camera. So it can hold all the fun big lenses.

Chris is on to it above. 810 Kodak 2d with reducing backs.

ThePenguin
19-Jun-2011, 01:41
Allright, maybe it will be two cameras then, but lets start with the 8x10, and it seems that I can get a good deal on a Wisner 8x10 Traditional, but I can't find info on it. It seems very light and flexible, but can it handle bigger and heavier lenses? What kind of boards does it use?