PDA

View Full Version : Copal O - Sticking on 'T'

Kimberly Anderson
16-Jun-2011, 20:42
Hey gang,

I have a Copal O shutter and the T is having some issues. It behaves normally about half the time, and behaves as a 'B' setting the rest of the time. No rhyme nor reason to the pattern.

Is this ready for a bonified CLA, or is there something that I can do with it on my own.

I have been known to fix hard-drives with 5-lb sledge hammers, so keep that in mind when giving advice.

:D

Leigh
16-Jun-2011, 22:17
Is the speed setting ring rotated all the way to the detent?

Are you fully depressing the cable release when the problem occurs?

Does it happen when you use the release lever on the side of the shutter rather than the cable release?

Just some thoughts. I've never heard of this problem before.

- Leigh

Kimberly Anderson
17-Jun-2011, 05:54
Leigh,

Thanks for the answer. I have gone through all of your scenarios and it is still not working consistently on T.

I am glad to see that my method of working through the problem was very similar to yours.

It is kind of weird though isn't it? I haven't seen this before either.

I will RE-reassess and report... :)

Sirius Glass
17-Jun-2011, 08:13
Exercise the shutter several hundred times and see it behaves better. If not then it is time for a CLA et al.

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2011, 08:49
Take it to a repair facility!

Drew Wiley
17-Jun-2011, 09:05
Sure you don't have a little lock thingy on the cable release that gets hung up? It has
happened to me, and has nothing to do with the lens shutter itself.

domaz
20-Jun-2011, 11:04
Does B work ok? If B doesn't work consistently then it could be the release mechanism- a part might be bent or out of alignment.

Leigh
20-Jun-2011, 13:37
Interestingly, there's a used lens for sale at one of the large retailers with the same problem.

- Leigh

Oren Grad
20-Jun-2011, 14:01
I have a 270 G-Claron in Copal 1 that behaved that way. I didn't do anything about it, and eventually the problem apparently went away. At least the shutter started behaving correctly, as best I could tell.

I did finally send the lens for service, but only because the glass became fogged after the lens had sat in storage for a while. I sent it to Schneider for cleaning and had them CLA the shutter while they were at it.

Ash
20-Jun-2011, 14:28
You may find a lot of people say "noooo!!!" to this option, but if you can carefully remove the top plate don't touch any of the lever underneath but douse the thing in lighter fluid. I used Zippo on a Copal 3 that wouldn't work on speeds under 1/8 and now it works consistently and reliably.

Kimberly Anderson
20-Jun-2011, 20:24
B works just fine and dandy. T doesn't work...well sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't work...and at that point it behaves like B...which means it doesn't work...unless it's working...then in that case it is working. Wait...who's on first?

I have been contemplating the lighter fluid trick for a while now...

Leigh
20-Jun-2011, 20:32
I have been contemplating the lighter fluid trick for a while now...
PLEASE don't even think about it.

That's the most insane suggestion that's ever been presented.

You'll contaminate the shutter, diluting lubricants and moving them to areas where they don't belong. This increases drag and wear in areas which should be lubricated but are no longer, and aggravates dust accumulation in areas that should be clean.

Any lubricant, contamination, or dust on the shutter blades can slow their operation.

A modern shutter uses several different lubricants in different areas, each with a particular purpose and set of characteristics.

CLAs don't cost that much. Have it done right.

- Leigh

BrianShaw
21-Jun-2011, 06:49
I'd like to chime in and agree with Leigh.

But if you insist on D-I-Y, please don't sell it here or on eBay advertizing "recently CLA'd"! :rolleyes:

BrianShaw
21-Jun-2011, 06:54
I'd like to chime in and agree with Leigh.

As a postscript... many people have had some success in lighter fluid flushes. It might work and it might not. You8'll never really know until you try, but a professional cleaning is practically guaranteed... hence the support for what Leigh is saying. The stories that shutters were designed to run dry is bogus. If you do flush the shutter, do as thorough a job as you can and lubricate as close to the intended spec as you can.

Kimberly Anderson
21-Jun-2011, 07:05
But if you insist on D-I-Y, please don't sell it here or on eBay advertizing "recently CLA'd"! :rolleyes:

What makes you think I would do that? It seems awfully pessimistic...and I am a bit offended by it.

BrianShaw
21-Jun-2011, 07:09
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. In re-reading, it does seem pointed at you. I didn't intend to do that. I'm sure you are a good guy with admirable character. My response was a reaction to a recent ebay purchase listed as such, but the camera ended up reaking of WD-40. Again, my apologies for offending you.

Kimberly Anderson
21-Jun-2011, 07:15
n/p

I do have a hard drive for sale that I recently serviced. Comes with a free 5-lb. sledge hammer.

John Koehrer
22-Jun-2011, 14:38
n/p

I do have a hard drive for sale that I recently serviced. Comes with a free 5-lb. sledge hammer.

Is it better than my 4 lb machinist hammer?

Kimberly Anderson
22-Jun-2011, 16:06
Yes it is better...by 1 lb.