PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Betax (or other) shutter to drop a Verito 7.25 lens into

Darryl Baird
16-Jun-2011, 14:05
Not certain what size is required for the 7-1/4 inch Verito, but i'd like to have it in a shutter to take on a a trip in the fall.

ANY help appreciated.

darryl

Jon Shiu
16-Jun-2011, 17:44
If you unscrew the lenses from the barrel, you can measure the thread sizes. Then match up with shutter size. Betax and Alphax shutters are same size, I believe. No. 3 is 45mm front and back thread size, No. 4 is 62mm front and back, etc.

Jon

Louis Pacilla
16-Jun-2011, 18:01
I'm not sure how easy it would be to achieve the proper spacing simply screwing the cells into a Betax shutter.

I have a 7 1/2" Verito in shutter and it has a fair amount of barrel on the back end. I imagine the barrel would be shorter if equal split mounting was done. I think you'll need some spacers between cells.

This is were it runs into a little money. Unless you have a friend who's a machinist. You will also have to either tape your f scale on the Betax or spend money to have a scale plate cut which will run around $100.

You could of course buy a larger shutter & front mount the barrel. This you could do for far less cash because all you'll need is a male female adapter made.

Another option is to buy the nice front mount LUC type shutter . I own a couple & just picked up the large 9s that was listed here. Maurits had several for sale here. Check em out. If you do something like this you can use it for several barrel lenses saving a good bit of cash.

I own a few lenses & have rarely found easy solutions to mounting Vintage barrel lenses in shutters.

Could be wrong. Have been before. Will be again. Maybe now.:)

Darryl Baird
17-Jun-2011, 17:44
I love being wrong, it makes me more human... otherwise my anus becomes a reference for me by others.. (aka asshole).

in my experience, if one is seeking soft=-focus, the lens element spacing is relative to what you seek to achieve in softness... I'm a luddite at heart. :"-).

thanks

I'm not sure how easy it would be to achieve the proper spacing simply screwing the cells into a Betax shutter.

I have a 7 1/2" Verito in shutter and it has a fair amount of barrel on the back end. I imagine the barrel would be shorter if equal split mounting was done. I think you'll need some spacers between cells.

This is were it runs into a little money. Unless you have a friend who's a machinist. You will also have to either tape your f scale on the Betax or spend money to have a scale plate cut which will run around $100.

You could of course buy a larger shutter & front mount the barrel. This you could do for far less cash because all you'll need is a male female adapter made.

Another option is to buy the nice front mount LUC type shutter . I own a couple & just picked up the large 9s that was listed here. Maurits had several for sale here. Check em out. If you do something like this you can use it for several barrel lenses saving a good bit of cash.

I own a few lenses & have rarely found easy solutions to mounting Vintage barrel lenses in shutters.

Could be wrong. Have been before. Will be again. Maybe now.:)