PDA

View Full Version : Everything from scratch advice please

WorldImageTrader
16-Jun-2011, 11:27
Am just starting large format and need advice on everything. Am looking at 10x8 or traditional whole plate 8.5x6x5. Was hoping to buy cheap off eBay but prices are high for questionable condition. So camera . Lens . Tripod . Plate holders (suitable for plates not just film). was thinking I might get all for 1000 gb pounds but maybe twice for the right stuff?

Brian Ellis
16-Jun-2011, 11:29
What's your question? If you're asking whether it's possible to buy a camera, lens, tripod and film holders for under 1,000 pounds, yes it's possible. LF photography is like most things, you can pretty much pay whatever you want, it all depends on what you want.

WorldImageTrader
16-Jun-2011, 11:30
Recommendations for all the above

jp
16-Jun-2011, 12:05
It's kinda like buying a car; there are lots of options for any given price range, and the needs and interests can be pretty polarizing and diverse.

How about you do some product research to see what's interesting to you, tell about what sort of subject matter and styles you like, etc... Then we can provide some specific advice on the suitability of a product for a use, or which of two products is better for a certain application.

Also if we were willing to travel to the US, something like Bruce Barlow's fine focus workshop might help you with the decision.

WorldImageTrader
16-Jun-2011, 12:56
I am doing daguerrotypes was starting at looking at old cameras but am not getting very far simply because I am worried about compatible accessories lens in particular. Now considering more laterally for example there is thread about the new wilderness 10x8 but do i really want to take pot luck on an import and what else am I in for then where do I get the lens I know nothing about good large format lenses Schneider but no one really goes passed 5x4 on eBay what fits what works? Don't want to blow a load of dough on bits and pieces that don't fit together. Can you give me examples of what you own as a search base

John Koehrer
16-Jun-2011, 15:22
If you're doing daguerrotypes, wouldn't an older lens be more fitting for the images?

WorldImageTrader
16-Jun-2011, 15:37
Yes I started looking for the old makes but my main starting point is eBay and as I say the working condition doesnt seem to as important as the aesthetic and they all go for much more than I thought which is why I am thinking newer

sepstein17
16-Jun-2011, 20:54
Ebay is just ebay -- why don't you take a look at the FS section - Classifieds of this wonderful site?

WorldImageTrader
16-Jun-2011, 23:32
One of the reasons I joined this forum nothing there yet? Do you have to wait 30 days to see ads or just place them

eddie
17-Jun-2011, 00:13
What are you using for dags now ? What process do you use? Where did you learn. Why not use the same or similar for that rig? Are you planning to shoot film? Where? Studio or field? Will you be carrying the set up? What do you shoot? What subjects do you like?

I can sell you a set up for 1000 pounds easy. (better to buy the tripod locally to save shipping). But we/you do not k ow what you want or need.

Eddie

WorldImageTrader
17-Jun-2011, 00:31
I have not made one solo yet and have been busy acquiring everything I need except the main part - camera. The chap who taught me had a wista 5x4 but I want to go large format 10x8 or whole plate - can you still buy whole plate dark slides or is it only 10x8 now? That is critical as I need to build my plates to fit what ever I get so I have really got as far. Still waiting for suggestions on a good body and lens combo take in mind the exposures are going to be 5 to 30 minutes depending on light so I only really need a B setting or even non shutter lens with a cover. Not thinking about film for time being

eddie
17-Jun-2011, 03:31
8x10 is far more common.....if you wanna shoot film. U said no film. So it does not matter what format u get as long as you have a dark slide or two.

Where? Studio or field? Will you be carrying the set up? What do you shoot? What subjects do you like?

Eddie

Sounds like any modern camera will do what you need.

c.d.ewen
17-Jun-2011, 06:17
Some random thoughts: Have you ever seen an 8x10 Dag? Me neither. Maybe there's a reason, e.g., an 8x10 silver plate is absurdly expensive and after you get finished polishing it, your arms will be so weak you can't lift a pint. Do you have a fuming box for 8x10?

I would recommend a two-step process - get an easily assembled and cheap 4x5 setup and work on technique. Keep your eye out for larger equipment while doing that, and go for the larger size in step two. Remember, all these old cameras have had multiple owners and retain their resale value. You aren't going to use it and then have to throw it away.

Personal recommendation: get a 4x5 Crown Graphic and a cheap Tessar. Plenty of Crowns and Tessars around, and you'll appreciate the f/4.5 of the Tessar. A faster f/2 Petzval would be better, of course. Plate holders for 4x5 come up on eBay often enough.

Keep asking questions; we're all here to help.

Charley

ps: Oslo, eddie? Really? All the world, and you pick Oslo? Am I missing something?

Frank Petronio
17-Jun-2011, 06:24
People like this come and go quickly because they expect to shoot something ridiculously wonderful as large as possible right out of the box, not appreciating it can take a lifetime to get to that point. They are good to buy used equipment at bargain prices from.