PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Fuji Velvia 50 RVP!

Tran Binh
16-Jun-2011, 06:57
Hi all!

I've just started shooting 4X5 and I took 02 shots with Velvia 50. With help from my friend we develop these with Tetennal kit. The problem is that my friend Velvia sheets are glorious while mine are completely blank - the sheet is just a blank plastic sheet.

I store the sheet in fridge (at about 15oC). I'm in Vietnam and it's quite hot and humid here. I still have some sheets left in fridge, what I should do now?

Thanks for your helps in advance.

Joanna Carter
16-Jun-2011, 07:27
When you say blank, do you mean:

1. Totally clear

2. Clear apart from the edge markings

3. Totally black

Possible reasons are:

1. The film was fogged, either before or after it was put in the dark slide

2. The film was fogged in the camera, either by forgetting to close the shutter after focusing or overexposing it massively.

3. You forget to remove the darkslide before making the exposure or you processed the box of unexposed film instead of the exposed ones.

Tran Binh
16-Jun-2011, 07:51
Blank means "totally clear", it likes the film has no emulsion at all. And I took 02 shots so it seems that your possible reason are excluded.

Is there any reason related to humidity as I store the film in fridge and it might get wet during loading to holder?

BetterSense
16-Jun-2011, 07:58
For positive film to be totally clear, it means the film must have been completely exposed even before loading in the film holder, or else that the bleach was put in before the developer when processing.

tgtaylor
16-Jun-2011, 09:07
I wonder if a clear piece of acetate would also be the result if the developer(s) were dead?

Joanna Carter
16-Jun-2011, 09:34
Tran did say that they were processed at the same time as other sheets that were OK.

And, if that is the case, despite his protestations, I would still insist, along with Bettersense, that the film had to be totally fogged either before or after exposure but not whilst in the darkslide.

I had a lab accidentally screw up half a dozen sheets of my film and some of them were virtually clear; they had missed the first developer bath in the dip and dunk machine, but, even then, the other four were also semi clear, with a ghostly green tinge to what was left of the image :mad:

So, tgtaylor, you could also be right.

Daniel Stone
16-Jun-2011, 11:18
Hi all!

I've just started shooting 4X5 and I took 02 shots with Velvia 50. With help from my friend we develop these with Tetennal kit. The problem is that my friend Velvia sheets are glorious while mine are completely blank - the sheet is just a blank plastic sheet.

I store the sheet in fridge (at about 15oC). I'm in Vietnam and it's quite hot and humid here. I still have some sheets left in fridge, what I should do now?

Thanks for your helps in advance.

Did YOU load them in the light, cause you have to load/unload them in complete darkness.

not saying you're stupid, but the best of us have done that probably at least once in our lives ;). Me included :)

-Dan

Tran Binh
16-Jun-2011, 18:15
Thanks for all your comments.

Let me be clear that we did together 04 sheets, and needless to say that in very carefull manner cause it is our very first shots. 02 of them are wonderful and other 02 are just piece of plastic without any details or even emulsion on the film.

We actually experienced with Shanghai 100 when I load 10 sheets and got 02 of them totally "blank". The issue is that it is in the same holder. Next time I reuse this particular holder and thing was going well.

I suspect that the film might get wet after I took it out of fridge. In my place the humid is too high (about 90%) and the temp is about 36oC.

It's important to me cause I put all the sheet left back into fridge (I just loaded half of the box). What I should do next time to make sure it will never happend again.

Michael W
16-Jun-2011, 20:15
The only time I got blank film - i.e. looked like clear plastic, was when I mistook some Fuji Acros for Provia. I wasn't paying attention & just vaguely glanced at the green box. It was processed at a pro lab & being that colour is done at much higher temps than B&W the process stripped all the emulsion off. Took me a while to work out what had happened. Might you have done that? You can tell by checking the film notches.
I don't think it would be the humidity although that can cause problems. I was in Hanoi a couple of years ago & learned about photography & humidity. I had some rolls of 35mm get sticky & wouldn't move out of the canister. Also had some odd colour shifts on some frames. Great country but definitely a challenging environment for photography.

TenOx
17-Jun-2011, 10:36
Two issues -- blank film and cold film+humidity.
I can't say for the blank film, too many possible variables, as ideas mentioned above.

But for the film, seal in Ziplock™ type plastic bag and wait 1 or 2 hours before you load the film from the box. If you load the film then store in the freezer in film holders, then wait 1.5 to 2 hours before using them. Either case, remove bags from cold location to room temperature and DO NOT OPEN until matching local temp.

What will happen if film gets wet before exposing it? The photo will have problems, but you will not get clear plastic with no emulsion from that!