PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing Help with Kodak View Camera No 1

northcarolinajack
16-Jun-2011, 04:46
I am in the process of refurbishing a full plate camera I was sure was a Kodak D2, but it really is an Eastman View #1.

The camera is doing well, but I think I will need a sliding block tripod mount.
My questions are:
1-Would I need to find a sliding block for full plate?
2-Does anyone have such an animal?
3-If I attempt to make one, would I need to rework a
block for a 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10, by cutting and fitting?
Or find the hardware and make the wood block?
Could anyone suggest where to find the hardware?
4-Any help would be great.

I know I have ask some dumb questions, but thanks to LFF have gotten very good help, so thanks.

northcarolinajack

Jack

Louis Pacilla
16-Jun-2011, 05:35
Maybe you should resale the #1 & start a new search for the #2 which as you know has the sliding block.

You know the main difference is the #1 has two groves for carrying the two standards. The #2 has three groves two for the standards & one extra for the sliding block.

The Rails are a different thickness. So your #1 rail may not have enough room for adding the third grove for your new sliding block. There are soooo many Century #2/2D out there. It seems easier to either buy another #2 & start a collection(Nothing wrong with that) or do what I first suggested.

IanG
16-Jun-2011, 05:55
I'm in a similar position having restored an Agfa Ansco 10x8 which has no sliding block. However I do have one on my 2nd Agfa Ansco and rebuilt that block last year and I'm about to make a second one.

There's nothing that special except the steel bar that tightens the two brass L sections which lock the camera in place, the tripod mounts can be bought. I've got some brass which I'll have bent to form the L sections then cut to size. The Agfa's have a slightly longer block than the Kodak's which gives greater strength & stability.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/aa012.jpg

I may initially make a simple block using springs behind the brass L pieces and 4 thumb knobs and two all thread bolts.

Ian

Michael Roberts
16-Jun-2011, 06:04
Jack, another alternative is your tripod head. I'm using one of the old Ries tripods and the tilting head has a platform about 6-7 inches long and 5 inches wide. This provides such a solid base that the sliding tripod block is superfluous--in fact, I get a larger area of contact with the camera base if I remove the tripod block.

Ian--great looking Ansco!

northcarolinajack
16-Jun-2011, 06:09
Thanks to all so far, I have learned a lot. When I finish the camera I will post a photo, it is a beauty. I am waiting on a bellows, all else is done.

Jack