PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinders on Speeds, Linhofs et al

TheDeardorffGuy
15-Jun-2011, 18:26
I'm just wondering if any of the 4x5 users really use the rangefinders on their cameras.
Please reply either yes or no and any experiences using it you have had. I'll start.
I had a beater Deardorff Triamapro set up with a Kalart RFDR. I wanted to do a complete restoration, Leather, metal and a functioning RDFR set for a 162mm Raptar.
Got the camera done and I've yet to use it as a hand held camera. It took me longer to do the RDFR than to recover it! Oh well thats what is fun about the LF world.

Frank Petronio
15-Jun-2011, 19:46
Sure I did handheld 4x5 for the majority of my work in 2007-2008, with both a Linhof Technika V and top-RF Crown Graphic.

Long story short -- at medium distances they work fine. At closer distances, say close enough to make a torso portrait... I learned that none of them are accurate enough for mediocre hack photographer like myself. At least with humans and wide open lenses. At f/16 and 1/250 then no problem.... but at 1/60 and f/5.6... well then you know.

I've had the side mounted Kalharts too and never found them any better.

Ivan J. Eberle
15-Jun-2011, 20:32
Hi Ken,

I'd be interested in seeing pics of that restored Triamapro. Do you have any idea of the quantity that were produced? They don't come up very often for sale, that's for sure.

I really like Kalart Synchronized RFs on 4x5s as they make using a roll-back or a Grafmatic a breeze-- with one lens at a time, of course. Extremely accurate focusing and ADJUSTABLE. The really hard to find piece for them is the accessory telescopic eyepiece, useful on deep bodied cameras or when using a roll back.

Really enjoy the wire action/sports finder hoop on these old press/technical cameras, too.

I re-mirrored the Kalart on my c. 1950 prototype Meridian 45CE and re-adjusted it for a 135mm Caltar IIN. Used it as my go-to LF camera on a three month tour of the Montana and Wyoming last year. I don't hesitate to shoot handheld with a Grafmatic given enough light.

One of these days I'll finish mounting the red laser pointer capsule from a cat toy, which fits into the Focuspot housing. Two converging dot's projected onto the subject, visible even in daylight (unlike the original bulb filament for night-time only use).

I've had and sold a beater Super Graphic that had a cammed RF that was also quite accurate, just a smallish window and not very bright. Consequently I never developed much love for the camera, though focusing was spot on-but with a Wollensak Raptar 135mm 4.7 (but not the Sironar N/Caltar IIN in the same 135mm focal length which I bought specifically for it).

Cams were a great innovation back in the day when they easily sourced, but at this late date I'm resigned to the fact that only practical ones left are Linhof's-- for which cams for modern focal length increments *might* be readily cut or commercially available. (Super Graphics seem fairly hopeless for any but the most common old press lens focal lengths that might be found bundled with a working camera).

urs0polar
15-Jun-2011, 21:28
I have an old schneider 90 f/6.8 angulon cammed by Marflex on my Technika V, and I use it all the time. It is VERY accurate, to say the least. And of course, it is fast to focus. More accurate than a loupe especially since it's a dark 90mm lens (well, unless you get really crazy about 10x louping everything -- even then, the RF is usually as good or better than I am).

Brian Ellis
16-Jun-2011, 07:17
No, never used the rangefinders on my Linhof Technika V and Master Technika. I did buy a cam for a 150mm lens on the Master to see if the rangefinder worked and it did but I never actually made a photograph using it. The type of photographs I made with the camera often called for movements so the rangefinder wasn't feasible with them.

Len Middleton
16-Jun-2011, 07:59
Ken,

I remember the condition of the Triamapro you showed me a couple of years back. Very interesting cameras.

I've had a Tech IV and still have a V. I used one or both hand held, as I have cams for the 90, 150, and 210.

I used them in the past for photgraphing vintage race sportscars at the track, both in competition racing and siting still in the paddock, using 120 roll film (Kodakchrome 64 and Velvia) and 4x5 (B&W). I used the cammed lenses for the static pictures. To bring the cars in from a distance while racing, I used an 355mm Repro-Claron (without a cam, as it will not focus at infinity racked back) by prefocusing on a corner, locking the focus, and wait for the cars to arrive.

Given the distances involved and the relatively bright days, the images were good and well focused, with no focus issues that were not a result of operator error.

I guess your question is whether it (the repair / restoration) is worth it, and for me it has been a funcionality of the Technikas that I have used.

Hope that helps,

Len

IanG
16-Jun-2011, 08:09
I've 4 LF range-finders to restore & recalibrate. 3 need new beam splitter mirrors, and I need to determine the correct focal length lens one camera a modified Wide angle Speed Graphic's been cammed for. I was kindly donated a piece of beam splitter mirror earlier in the year.

If the Rangefinder was working on my Crown Graphic & Super Graphic I'd definitely use them for some of my hand held LF work, I'm usually shooting at f22 so that would be very feasible.

The hard part with my Crown Graphic is the Meyer range-finder's split image is dim, and with the 135mm that came fitted to the camera was way off. The Meyer is factory made for a specific focal length with minimal adjustments and can't be changed to a different FL but by chance I tried it with a 150mm lens and found the range-finder accurate. So taht just needs the beam splitter mirror changed.

The Kalart's on my two Speed Graphics just need adjusting and calibrating for the right lenses but I rarely use these two.

The Range-finder on my Super Graphic is another issue, the camera needs stripping down and rebuilding, missing parts replace. I need this done though because it's now my main hand held LF camera and a working range-finder makes it much easier to work quickly & accurately.

Ian

Sirius Glass
16-Jun-2011, 08:36
I have a side mounted Kalart rangefinder on my Pacemaker Speed Graphic which I use for the 135mm lens.

It is not real useful for the 90mm lens though. Go figure! ;)

Steve

Frank Petronio
16-Jun-2011, 10:50
You can always use the rangefinder to see the distance on a focusing scale for the "meant for" lens and then transfer the distance to the focusing scale for your alternative lens. Especially with a 90mm stopped down, you have enough margin of error to manage it just fine.

Bob Salomon
16-Jun-2011, 11:18
One of the uses for a rangefinder on a view camera is to find the 1/3rd point into the scene (or 1/2 for those who prefer that). Since you want to get the maximum benefit of your DOF you focus part way into the scene you want to capture. An accurate rangefinder will be a great assist in determining this. Even though it can not be used when actually making camera movements.

The answers so far have been primarily, if not totally, addressing the operation of the camera hand held. But there is another use for them.

Oren Grad
16-Jun-2011, 11:30
I've used the VF/RF in my Horseman VH-R, tripod-mounted, to focus and frame in dim and rapidly fading light at dusk, when the GG was too murky to be able to focus or compose effectively.

toolbox
17-Jun-2011, 13:37
I can only think of one time I've used the GG on my Crown Graphic...I've shot it a fair amount, and almost entirely hand held with the rangefinder. That's really what it was designed to do, and it works very well. That's with the 135mm it came with...I also have a 203mm Ektar and the cam for it, but I've never bothered setting it up yet. Also have a 3x4 Speed, and use it the same way.

TheDeardorffGuy
19-Jun-2011, 19:16
Thanks for the replies and emails. there were a total of 20 replies. Four of you use the rdfr. 16 do not. I think I'm going to swap out an old Kalart on my user Triamapro for a new boxed one I bought on Ebay last year. I mounted up a Grafloc back on this one and have taken some good pics. I have the urge to do handheld photos as the camera was designed for. Thanks for the replies